Kit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon - Sting Grey
Occupation
Mortgage Underwriter
Hello all!

I am familiar (and love) the off road 4x4 beaches of Corova, NC and we have taken our Jeeps to Assateague, MD and Chincoteague, VA. Is anyone familiar with any other beaches in NC, SC or northern GA that you can recommend? I will be down that way in August and want to see if there is anything new out there that we can visit. :)
Sponsored

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
A major portion of thr OBX allows driving on the beach, but, unlike Corolla, a National Park Serivce off-road permit is required - $50 for 10 days.

Freeman Park and Fort Fisher State Recreation Area (Pleasure Island/ Carolina Beach Area) both allow beach driving, for a daily or annual fee.

Topsail Island allows off road vehicles on the beach during the off season. Iā€™ve never done it, i think the permits are limited to island residents and those with NC fishing licenses.

There are no beaches in SC that allow off road vehicles.

Not sure about the rest of GA, but I know none are allowed in the Savannah/ Tybee Island area.

Rick12785

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
A major portion of thr OBX allows driving on the beach, but, unlike Corolla, a National Park Serivce off-road permit is required - $50 for 10 days.

Freeman Park and Fort Fisher State Recreation Area (Pleasure Island/ Carolina Beach Area) both allow beach driving, for a daily or annual fee.

Topsail Island allows off road vehicles on the beach during the off season. Iā€™ve never done it, i think the permits are limited to island residents and those with NC fishing licenses.

There are no beaches in SC that allow off road vehicles.

Not sure about the rest of GA, but I know none are allowed in the Savannah/ Tybee Island area.
Topsail's is called "Truck Beach". Went about 4 months ago it was $20 for a day permit but you were not required to be a resident. Residents can pay $100 for the year.

Sponsored

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
Thereā€™s also Surf City, NC. But, like Topsail, beach driving is limited to waaaay off-season:

ā€œPermits are issued for driving on the beach for fishing purposes only October 1st through March 15th.

There is a beach access for 4 wheel drive vehicles only located at Kinston Ave. just south of the Surf City Pier.

Night driving shall be allowed for fishing purposes October 1st to March 15th

No vehicle shall be allowed on the beach except in the beach area between the 1300 block of South Shore on the south and Dolphin Street on the north.

Permits are issued by the Surf City Police Department located at 305 N. New River Drive between the hours of 8 AM to 5 PM, 7 days a week.

There is no cost for handicap individuals. They may drive on the beach for fishing, only during permitted time frames.ā€

vf171ohio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray JT Overland, Cherokee, Sonata, Altima
Occupation
Quality Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I live in Surf City. Freeman Park in Carolina Beach is where everyone goes during season. The north end of Topsail was free up until this year but it is a pretty small area to drive in. We went twice to fish up there.

The OBX area seems to be the largest area that Iā€™m aware of.

Mud-N-Sun

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 2 door Sport TJ 2018 JLU Sport-S
Thanks for the info. Love topsai l never knew I could take my jeep.

OP
OP
Nauti1313

Nauti1313

First Name
Kit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon - Sting Grey
Occupation
Mortgage Underwriter
Thank you all for the information. This is fantastic!

Sponsored

vf171ohio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray JT Overland, Cherokee, Sonata, Altima
Occupation
Quality Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info. Love topsai l never knew I could take my jeep.
Itā€™s a relatively small area but if you canā€™t make it to Freeman Park it probably is worth it just to have the experience of driving on the beach if thatā€™s what youā€™re after.

CC23B677-652C-423A-A668-8F25CE229687.jpeg

Mud-N-Sun

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 2 door Sport TJ 2018 JLU Sport-S
Itā€™s a relatively small area but if you canā€™t make it to Freeman Park it probably is worth it just to have the experience of driving on the beach if thatā€™s what youā€™re after.

CC23B677-652C-423A-A668-8F25CE229687.jpeg
Thanks I will have to check it out. I was planning to head to TopSail a few times this year. Now I have something else to look forward to while there.