Sponsored

4WD selector really hard to switch ranges - is that normal?

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Gray 392, 2000 Supercharged WJ
I'm not sure if it's just not broken in yet, but the 4WD selector has a heck of a time switching ranges. I've really got to muscle it from one range to another. My Grand Cherokee does this, too. I think I'm following all the rules - I'm in neutral, and I try to shift down to 4LO and I almost have to take a sledge hammer to the thing. Just doesn't seem quite right. Any thoughts on whether this is common or if I'm just being stupid?
Sponsored

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
It is stiff at first. Once you use 4LO for a little bit, it will loosen up considerably. It really doesn't take all that much use to loosen it up.

rdfact

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURXR, '01 WJ
Are you shifting while stopped or moving?

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Mmmmhmmmm. Normal. Helps to be rolling very very slowly in neutral.

OP
OP

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Typically I'm at a stop in neutral. I'll try it when I'm moving ever so slightly - but it really feels like something is either binding up in the linkage, or it's just not broken in yet. Kind of frustrating when I want to get it into a different range and it just feels like it's seized up in place.

When the dealer was explaining to me the different 4WD modes on the 392, he had a hard time switching from one to another, and we'd get into a twilight zone where the dash indicator wasn't showing us being in any mode.

Sponsored

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Most likely, the gears aren't lined up when you're attempting to shift into 4-low. It definitely helps to be rolling ever so slightly.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
You need to be rolling 2-3 mph and then shift the tranny to neutral. Then it will slide right in.

OP
OP

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm probably going to have to let the Jeep tech look at it. I messed with it last night, and no matter what I do, the thing feels like it's all bound up. Even going from 4Auto to 4HI takes gorilla strength and I'm afraid I'm going to break something. Letting it slowly roll doesn't seem to help.

I think it's just not properly adjusted from the factory. I can force it into place, but it really doesn't feel right.

I did a bunch of Google searches on this, and most people said the selector lever was butter smooth, but a bunch also described exactly what I'm noticing. Most said that it went away after a year of so of heavy use, but that tells me that it's not adjusted quite right and by "breaking it in" some of the linkages might be bound up and something will probably break ten years from now.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
I'm probably going to have to let the Jeep tech look at it. I messed with it last night, and no matter what I do, the thing feels like it's all bound up. Even going from 4Auto to 4HI takes gorilla strength and I'm afraid I'm going to break something. Letting it slowly roll doesn't seem to help.

I think it's just not properly adjusted from the factory. I can force it into place, but it really doesn't feel right.

I did a bunch of Google searches on this, and most people said the selector lever was butter smooth, but a bunch also described exactly what I'm noticing. Most said that it went away after a year of so of heavy use, but that tells me that it's not adjusted quite right and by "breaking it in" some of the linkages might be bound up and something will probably break ten years from now.
Did you try it while rolling? Made a big difference for mine. I was used to my old XJ and JK levers, which were very light from factory and easy while stopped in neutral, but my JL's was very heavy and difficult while stopped in neutral. 3-4 changes from 4H to 4L while rolling at like 3-5mph and it smoothed right out and is now much easier to do at a stop. Simply repeating the process while sitting still didn't do anything for me, it required the few goes while rolling slightly some of which were rather brisk.

Go_Galt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Be rolling, in neutral, <3 mph.

In my case, it works best when I'm rolling 1mph or less.

If the attempt feels too stiff, move the vehicle forward a little bit more and try again while in a slow roll, in neutral.

The transfer case will loosen up with use.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll continue to mess with it - and hopefully it resolves itself. On the topic of rolling in neutral to make it work - sometimes that's just totally impossible.... I have a way of getting myself stuck some times, and the only way out is 4LO. I can't roll to make it work, so it's sometimes a minor panic situation. On the road, that's easy, but in the mud or sand, not so much...

Micky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I am starting to use the 4lo and had the same issue. last time went to parking lot and practiced going to 4lo and out. seems to help.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
I'll continue to mess with it - and hopefully it resolves itself. On the topic of rolling in neutral to make it work - sometimes that's just totally impossible.... I have a way of getting myself stuck some times, and the only way out is 4LO. I can't roll to make it work, so it's sometimes a minor panic situation. On the road, that's easy, but in the mud or sand, not so much...
We're talking about doing it while rolling straight on a driveway or something several times so that it settles in and you can do it easier on the trail without needing to be rolling on the trail. Break it in while rolling in controlled conditions, and then it should ease up to where you don't necessarily have to be rolling on the trail. Just make sure you're just popping in/out on the road and you're not turning around or anything in 4L to avoid t-case damage. Or if you have access to a dirt/gravel road, should make it easy to spend an hour or two working it and breaking everything in.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
I’ve never had a Jeep that shifted like butter. Those people must be driving other brands.

It’s an acquired skill getting a feel for what’s the normal notchy feeling in the Jeep vs when something is wrong. There are times it’s just not going to shift because the gear teeth won’t align; when that happens just go back to high and move a foot or two and try again.

I’ve also had brand new ones come maladjusted from the factory, so let the dealer tech check it out.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
As others have stated, rolling 2-3 mph is necessary for smooth shifting, and is part of the procedure listed in the owner's manual. However, I realize that it is easy to get stuck while trying to keep the vehicle rolling, and agree that it takes some practice.

So...another good method, is to shift into 4 low while rolling down a gentle hill. This will keep the Jeep moving, and all you have to worry about is braking to maintain your speed at 2-3 mph. This is how I learned to shift into 4 low as a kid in my old CJ, and it works great. Best of luck and enjoy!
Sponsored