baz

baz

First Name
Baz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Unlimited 2019
4 wheel drive is literally just about traction. When a rear wheel is off the ground, it has no traction. When in loose sand, you need more traction.
Alright you win, no more mistreating 'ol Pouteen on pavement:

Sponsored

Last edited:

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
After reading everyone's comments and filming today I have the feeling that everything is normal and due to my noobness, but here is the video as promised:

Seriously?? Have you not read any replies to your original post??? I think you need to sell you Rubicon, and get a Subaru. No training, no thinking needed.

SABLE RHINO

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S 3.6L
After reading everyone's comments and filming today I have the feeling that everything is normal and due to my noobness, but here is the video as promised:

YOU ARE GOINING TO BUST YOUR SHIT IN YOUR DRIVEWAY. Welcome aboard bro...

Thank you trailer park boys, bubbles is the best.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Sounds to me like you know what you're doing. If you followed the advice of @offcamber and @DownBytheRiver you would be in 2wd on the tails in Moab. Can you do those trails in 2wd? Sure, some of course you can, But you probably shouldn't. Sometimes you just have to deal with tire scrub / gears binding.

Post up some video, I'm curious about the issue you're having when going straight. In a turn, even in lower traction situations, you can get some binding and hopping as the tires bounce/slide. It's not good, wears your tires and stresses your drivetrain components, but sometimes it's unavoidable. It would be particularly dramatic on pavement But if you're going perfectly straight you should not have any... what did you call it? nervous, bumpy, jittery... on any surface. Is it possible that your front tires are considerably more worn than the rear (or vice versa)? Have you been doing big smokey burnouts with your new Jeep? Aside from that I'm not sure what else would cause a substantial wear difference.
Seriously? he didn't mention being offroad. No shit, you would use it in Moab, but even then you are going to get some lurching. I was talking about using 4wd on pavement. Obviously if you are on slickrock, you'd be in 4wd low no matter how good of traction it gives because you are likely not on even terrain. But even there it's going to lurch and be hard to turn, etc. Thats the way part time 4x4 systems work.

As for lockers, I use them when I need them. 90% of the time I don't need them. I learned to drive offroad with open diffs. Wheeled for 10 years before I had anything more than a single limited slip. I think part of the problem today is that people get Rubicons and then never learn how to wheel without lockers. Sad.

OP
OP
baz

baz

First Name
Baz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Unlimited 2019
As for lockers, I use them when I need them. 90% of the time I don't need them. I learned to drive offroad with open diffs. Wheeled for 10 years before I had anything more than a single limited slip. I think part of the problem today is that people get Rubicons and then never learn how to wheel without lockers. Sad.
How come open diffs don't solve the issue described in the main post? When lockers are off, don't the tires spin at different rates?

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
How come open diffs don't solve the issue described in the main post? When lockers are off, don't the tires spin at different rates?
Bruh. The lurching isn't coming from side-to-side, it's coming from front to back.

OP
OP
baz

baz

First Name
Baz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Unlimited 2019
Bruh. The lurching isn't coming from side-to-side, it's coming from front to back.
Thank you that explains it.

Edit: Actually, any idea how that works? Why would locking the rear and front drive shafts (which is what happens when switching to 4wd) still cause lurching during a turn if the inner tires are able to move at different speeds?

Last edited:

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0

Edit: Actually, any idea how that works? Why would locking the rear and front drive shafts (which is what happens when switching to 4wd) still cause lurching during a turn if the inner tires are able to move at different speeds?
Baz you have been a great sport through this entire thread. You took all criticism and suggestion with a fantastic attitude. Rock on buddy and enjoy your Jeep. I will say this , we have had nothing but Outbacks over the years and they are simply point and shoot vehicles. No thinking required. ;)

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red

Ok, i changed my mind. You shouldnt buy a Subaru, but a Wrangler Sahara, with All-time All Wheel Drive. . Sell the Rubicon.

InvictusManeo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler

Even with the front axle and the rear axle having open differentials, the transfer case when put into 4L or 4H is locked front to back; both front and rear driveshafts will spin at the same speed. Therefore, power is being given equally front to back.

An example of turning left in 4wd: the front R wheel is turning faster than front L wheel, the back R wheel is turning faster than the back L wheel, as long as your lockers aren’t on there would be no slip there. However, in a tight turn, the front L wheel needs to turn faster than even the back R wheel causing the back R wheel to slip in a limited traction situation, or bind when there is a lot of traction like on pavement. This is where your lurching is coming from. This can be much improved by less aggressive steering input, or unpairing the front and rear drive shafts by going back to 2wd.
Sponsored