4wd nervous, jittery and jumpy, especially on turns

baz

First Name
Baz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Unlimited 2019
I'm sure I have a problem. When I switch to 4H or 4L the drive becomes really bad. Going in a straight line the vehicle feels nervous, bumpy, jittery - but its survivable. Turning is a major issue that I'm going to the dealer for. On tight turns the jeep jolts back and forth thrashing and jumping. It's not usable, it's not safe. It's a 2019 Rubicon with 2500 kms on it.

Is this a known issue? Any idea what it could be? My dealer is low knowledge so I want to be able to point them in the right direction.
Sponsored

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I'm sure I have a problem. When I switch to 4H or 4L the drive becomes really bad. Going in a straight line the vehicle feels nervous, bumpy, jittery - but its survivable. Turning is a major issue that I'm going to the dealer for. On tight turns the jeep jolts back and forth thrashing and jumping. It's not usable, it's not safe. It's a 2019 Rubicon with 2500 kms on it.

Is this a known issue? Any idea what it could be? My dealer is low knowledge so I want to be able to point them in the right direction.
Are you driving on pavement or hard surfaces?

OP
OP
baz

baz

First Name
Baz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Unlimited 2019
Any time you turn your wheels when in 4H they will jump. I'm no mechanic, but something like one wheel trying to turn faster than the other? Someone will chime in.
I should add that this happens at low speed as well. In fact the lower the speed the worse the jumping.

Sponsored

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Both, the surface makes no difference.
4H and 4L should only be used on loose surfaces like sand, loose dirt, snow etc, or when you need traction when rock crawling. You will get binding in your drive train on hard dry surfaces and wheel hop when turning on those surfaces.

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
You shouldnt be in 4h on pavement . Especially over 50 mph.
And you REALLY shouldn't be in 4L on surfaces with good traction already.

What you're experiencing is the difference between part-time locked 4WD and full-time "floating" 4WD (for lack of the proper term). Ours are locked. When you turn, the wheels on the outside of the turn rotate more than the inside ones. Since they're locked together, they aren't being allowed to rotate different amounts, so they're fighting each other. They bind and chirp on the pavement. You could damage your driveline components.

Cars with "floating" systems have more "give" and the wheels are allowed to spin at slightly different rates without binding.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
No reason to be nervous man you got this!

Oh you meant the Jeep lol

It’s nothing man, you don’t mention being off road so it’s likely you’re not in the correct terrain to be using 4L.. This will happen along with binding if not in correct terrain in 4L.

OP
OP
baz

baz

First Name
Baz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Unlimited 2019
I use 4WD offroad only, I mentioned pavement only for testing. I'll record a video tomorrow.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
I use 4WD offroad only, I mentioned pavement only for testing. I'll record a video tomorrow.
That makes no sense. The Jeep 4wd (lo or hi) was designed to be used where there is wheel slippage. You are “testing” in a condition that it is not meant to be in. Of course it’s going to jump and act nervous on a hard surface. You are forcing the drivetrain into a bind and either the wheels will skip or you will break something.

OP
OP
baz

baz

First Name
Baz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Unlimited 2019
That makes no sense. The Jeep 4wd (lo or hi) was designed to be used where there is wheel slippage. You are “testing” in a condition that it is not meant to be in. Of course it’s going to jump and act nervous on a hard surface. You are forcing the drivetrain into a bind and either the wheels will skip or you will break something.
Lol, I don't know how this surface issue spiraled out of control. To be clear: I only use 4wd offroad. I am only concerned with 4wd offroad. I only discovered this problem offroad. The pavement test was nothing but a short, temporary test to add a data point. We can completely forget it. Everything remains true on dirt. I do *not* 4wd on pavement. Nor am I concerned with 4wd on pavement.

With that said my offroad conditions are not constant tire spin. In fact I rarely spin my tires. I actually expect to increase traction and control, and reduce spin in 4wd.

Last edited:

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Not trying being an ass, just asking legitimate questions:
Is this your first 4WD vehicle? Did you have the steering wheel turned all the way to one side? Any lockers on?
Sponsored