4wd light swapping between hi, n, and lo

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hey. Just went on the beach today and engaged 4wd and all was good. A moment later my dash flickers and says the transfer case is in N. I get into thick sand and can tell I'm driving in 2wd drive. I turn off/on the engine, it's still flickering. Put it in 4 lo and my tires don't spin at all.

Put it in 2wd, swap back to 4wd, and it stays in 4 for about 30 seconds. Managed to get off the beach without getting stuck.

I have a rear axle on order for the axle locker issue. I called the dealer and he says it may be related. But I've been on the beach several times without any issues.

They replaced a transfer case switch awhile back. What could be causing this? I'm on vacation but once I get home, I'll see what the part number they replaced.

2021 Rubicon manual
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It isn't related (to the rear axle locker). Need to pull codes from the TCCM.

OP
OP

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can a standard code reader do this? Or does the dealer need to?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Can a standard code reader do this? Or does the dealer need to?
no, a standard code reader cannot,but you also don’t have to use the dealer. Any independent shop would have the tool.
Now given that it is a 2021, it’s probably under warranty and should go to the dealer.

It is automatically disengaging the front axle disconnect, due to a perceived fault in the 4WD system.

OP
OP

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! I figured that would be the case. I'm on vacation. When I called my dealer he said it was because of the service axle locker issue... Said they'd call back but never did. I'll get it taken care of next week. Thanks!

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Thanks! I figured that would be the case. I'm on vacation. When I called my dealer he said it was because of the service axle locker issue... Said they'd call back but never did. I'll get it taken care of next week. Thanks!
its not completely impossible but it is improbable. The failed axle locker sensor would have to be shorted out causing the entire drivetrain control module to shut down. Wouldn’t be surprised if that module was bad.

do this, unplug the rear axle locker, try 4wd again.

OP
OP

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
its not completely impossible but it is improbable. The failed axle locker sensor would have to be shorted out causing the entire drivetrain control module to shut down. Wouldn’t be surprised if that module was bad.

do this, unplug the rear axle locker, try 4wd again.
That's a good idea, I'll do that tomorrow

OP
OP

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, I said screw it and went and bought the Z-Automotive Locker fix. Poof, locker light out. The original issue is still happening, though. I checked my records and they replaced 68483374AC (Transfer Case Control Module).

Here's what I discovered - if the locker light was on, I could put it in 4wd and it was fine. With the light off, any slight movement or touch to the lever causes the light to swap between N, 4Hi, 4LO. I sat in my driveway wiggling the shifter and it swapped between the three.

A quick google search doesn't return much on the replacement of the transfer case control module. Where is it located? I'm willing to bet there is a loose wire somewhere.

Sponsored