First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Yes, look up Sherwin Creek Road. It’s a pretty drive.

Laurel Lakes are nearby; well worth going wheeling up there in summer time.
Will do! Avoid in winter though?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Sherwin Creek gets plowed in winter; Laurel Lakes trail does not.

Sherwin Creek Rd, California 93546. https://g.co/kgs/CpYPL7

Gawd I miss the Eastern Sierras!
Just looked up Sherwin Creek Rd. Right at the airport. Funny story my wife had to fly in there to bring me an extra spare key because I lost mine somewhere on the mountain. I will take that way in the next time.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
This is what Laurel Lakes trail looks like by Thanksgiving.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4WD Auto Sahara Unlimited Altitude - Wish I knew 1609739884139

It is so beautiful up there

Mountain lion prints
Beautiful! But yeah I would not want to get stuck in the snow as I am still learning and would not have another vehicle with me. Late spring or summer it seems?

Sponsored

Deleted member 59098

- So I've heard, but the dealers seem to say chains will void the warranty but not the cable style type. I was thinking about picking up a pair of these for that one off chance CHP tried to turn me around.

- It really is a steal for $700. And you would have thought in the Sahara we bought, especially since it's geared toward a buyer that will be doing more street driving, they would have included this. The only features I think we did not get were the painted bumpers/door handles, advanced safety (radar) and this.
You’ll never need cables/chains for a 4WD vehicle. Caltrans will close the road if it gets that bad. You may need to carry chains. Just go to Goodwill and pick some up, any size and throw in the back.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You’ll never need cables/chains for a 4WD vehicle. Caltrans will close the road if it gets that bad. You may need to carry chains. Just go to Goodwill and pick some up, any size and throw in the back.
Excellent point!

The cables I carry in my Jeep I believe are a set I got for my 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT...! :LOL:

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
That’s not a bad point at all. Would be interesting to see the times they actually made 4WD chain up in CA if that data was available.

thanksgiving 2019 we had a massive storm I think they got upwards of 5 feet of snow. CHP and Caltrans did put up R3 for a bit until they shut it down so that’s only the other time I can remember R3 in place. If you were already up there and driving around big bear city R3 was in place for at least a day and a half.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Excellent point!

The cables I carry in my Jeep I believe are a set I got for my 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT...! :LOL:
Interesting seems like more people do this than I thought. Coming from our FWD Passat vacation car, I was always use to chaining up. One thing I found odd at least in California was even when the roads were plowed they kept the R2 in place and it really just seems to slow down traffic and chew up the roads to leave the chains on. I’m sure this all comes back down to traffic control and not letting too many people up.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. And CHP picks its battles, too.

That time we got turned around on Hwy 330, we ended up in Idyllwild. There as as much snow or more, with a fraction of the people and zero road checks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Yes. And CHP picks its battles, too.

That time we got turned around on Hwy 330, we ended up in Idyllwild. There as as much snow or more, with a fraction of the people and zero road checks.
Interesting. It must just be because Big Bear is the most "well known" mountain town in the greater SoCal area. Probably the largest too.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
2H To 4H Or 4H To 2H
Shifting between 2H and 4H can be made with the vehicle
stopped or in motion. The preferred shifting speed would
be 0 to 45 mph (72 km/h). With the vehicle in motion, the
transfer case will engage/disengage faster if you momentarily
release the accelerator pedal after completing the
shift. Do not accelerate while shifting the transfer case.
Apply a constant force when shifting the transfer case
lever.
NOTE:
• Do not attempt to make a shift while only the front or
rear wheels are spinning. The front and rear driveshaft
speeds must be equal for the shift to take place. Shifting
while only the front or rear wheels are spinning can
cause damage to the transfer case.
• Delayed shifts out of four-wheel drive may be experienced
due to uneven tire wear, low or uneven tire
pressures, excessive vehicle loading, or cold temperatures.
• Shifting effort will increase with speed, this is normal.
During cold weather, you may experience increased effort
in shifting until the transfer case fluid warms up. This is
normal.
STARTING AND OPERATING 329
This is really helpful! Thanks for posting it.

I had an '84 S15 Jimmy I bought almost new years ago. The Jeep has a similar part time 4WD system. Yet it works better than I remember the Jimmy did.

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
When CalTrans goes to chains AND 4wd on M+S tires, you simply don't want to be driving. It'll be a fierce storm with plenty of packed ice on the road. Just don't go. The Jeep can take it; the 400 other idiots on the road will be the hazards.

Shifting from 2wd to 4wd-Hi is straightforward and you should practice before you need it.

While driving about 25mph:
  1. Drive on a straight road that's free of traffic
  2. Put your hand on the transfer case shifter
  3. Pull back just enough to put a little pressure on the shifter
  4. Ease back on the throttle while pulling gently on the transfer case shifter
  5. The release of torque on the transfer case gears should allow the shifter to move from 2wd to 4wd-Hi smoothly.
  6. The transfer case shifter should now be in 4wd-Hi. You can re-apply torque.
  7. Ease up on the throttle again and move the shifter back to 2wd.
  8. Practice.
This can be done on dry pavement but wet pavement is better if you're going to be turning. On the snow, stay in 4wd-Hi even when there are patches of no snow as another patch of snow or the wet pavement will free up any binding. If you're going in a straight line the binding shouldn't be an issue.

Go slowly! The amount of grip on snow is very limited for everything: accelerating, braking, and turning. When you're turning and braking on snow, the front will be challenged for grip. Stay aware of this.

Enjoy your adventure!

Oh, and I live in Sierra snow country...

danotje

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Just to add something to your thread... I lived near Fairbanks, AK when we got our JLUR, and we had our share of snow and ice. Honestly though, I was in 2wd most of the time. I used 4HI mainly for times when I was going to be accelerating on ice—from a stoplight or on-ramps. Holding speed and direction in every other scenario was pretty easy in 2wd with consistent throttle control. I agree, Selec-trac seems like it’s made for your situation, but you’ll be fine if you think about your driving.

I’d also consider a 3-peak snowflake tire. Falken Wildpeaks aren’t too expensive, and they do great in the snow. And definitely take that backroad...it looks awesome!
Sponsored