Sponsored

48 Volt system

Jzsquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2.0L
So I’m trying to fully understand this 48v system and I am confused about the function. If I turn off the ESS because I’m a firm believer that most of the wear on engines comes from starting a vehicle does the 48v still come into play? Does this system provide extra power always on take off or under hard exceleration ?
Sponsored

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
So I’m trying to fully understand this 48v system and I am confused about the function. If I turn off the ESS because I’m a firm believer that most of the wear on engines comes from starting a vehicle does the 48v still come into play? Does this system provide extra power always on take off or under hard exceleration ?
From what I understand it does.
I think it will add power when accelerating to pass for example.

Dewey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
90 lbs of torque up to 1500 RPM is what I read somewhere

OP
OP
Jzsquared

Jzsquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2.0L
Ok this makes me feel better about the system knowing it’s not just for the ESS

Sponsored

Lee Woiteshek

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Matrix
Does anyone know the projected life cycle of the 48 volt lithium battery? How much does FCA want for a new one?

Mordin Solus

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Curious if anyone knows how/if this system works off road? Thought I read it gets disabled in 4 low but can’t find it now.

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Ducati 900ss
Occupation
Professional MacGyver
Does anyone know the projected life cycle of the 48 volt lithium battery? How much does FCA want for a new one?
Im guessing that since the option for the 2.0 is 1k (plus the automatic - that most get anyways) that the components might be less than that amount, unless Jeep is footing the bill for some epa reasons? I would think battery life would be around 5 years.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Curious if anyone knows how/if this system works off road? Thought I read it gets disabled in 4 low but can’t find it now.
I am 99% Sure it is disabled in low. No start/stop in low so I would think the whole hybrid system is disabled in low.

Sponsored

Lee Woiteshek

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Matrix
Jeep Informant has indicated that the MGU replacement cost as of this date is $1200.00 and the 48 Volt battery is $1800.00. Anyone know if the "forever warranty" covers these items?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Im guessing that since the option for the 2.0 is 1k (plus the automatic - that most get anyways) that the components might be less than that amount, unless Jeep is footing the bill for some epa reasons? I would think battery life would be around 5 years.
Hopefully it's reliable system. I took a brand new 2.0 Turbo on a test drive last week. 20 miles on the odometer. The light that is shaped like a BATTERY was flickering on and off after the first mile. Turned on and stayed on by the 3-4th mile. The JL drove fine. I drove it into service. The service manager mumbled something about the new engine and batteries? Salesman had no clue. Not a good showing for a test drive. I want a 2.0 but have to admit I am a little gun shy now.

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Ducati 900ss
Occupation
Professional MacGyver
Hopefully it's reliable system. I took a brand new 2.0 Turbo on a test drive last week. 20 miles on the odometer. The light that is shaped like a BATTERY was flickering on and off after the first mile. Turned on and stayed on by the 3-4th mile. The JL drove fine. I drove it into service. The service manager mumbled something about the new engine and batteries? Salesman had no clue. Not a good showing for a test drive. I want a 2.0 but have to admit I am a little gun shy now.
Yikes. I want the 2.0 as well. I'm going to wait a little longer & see what everyone else reports. I'm starting to believe that Jeep just builds them & expects the dealers to do all of the R&D. The bugs are just not worked out - yet. I even thought about just getting a JK. Surely there is some smoking deals on that one.

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
I am personally not concerned with wear and tear on the start stop portion. This type of starting with ESS is not near as "violent" as the typical starting procedure. I believe the battery, or mgu would wear out before any mechanical related issues due to starting.

Even with being a first year model, I just went with the 2.0 engine. I love the way it feels when driving. I'll make sure to keep the warranty in place for any issues.

Rockreid

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Jeep Wrangler Sahara
ESS engines are typically built with newer technology like slick coated bearings and journals that can better deal with oil starvation during Start/Stop. We are way past the era of significant wear on engines because of this and also past issues of fuel consumption for starting engines. I have about 1100 miles on my Sahara 2.0L Turbo Unlimited with Zero issues. No warnings lights, no weird anything.
Sponsored