450 miles 2nd trip to dealer :(

Megatron JLU

First Name
Anibal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 T Diesel
Went to the dealership yesterday I picked up the jeep they said they drove it 50 or 60 miles and could not get the light to come back on. I drove at 28 miles and I lost my throttle. Engine light came back on so I Took it back to the dealer. I explain to the technician that the voltage was still running anywhere from 12.5 to 14.4 it fluctuates in between those two points at random times. He said he would focus troubleshooting around ground and voltage.
Maybe this has been checked but I used to have this issue on my raptor. It ended up being a loose positive battery cable.
Sponsored

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
Vehicle Showcase
Went to the dealership yesterday I picked up the jeep they said they drove it 50 or 60 miles and could not get the light to come back on. I drove at 28 miles and I lost my throttle. Engine light came back on so I Took it back to the dealer. I explain to the technician that the voltage was still running anywhere from 12.5 to 14.4 it fluctuates in between those two points at random times. He said he would focus troubleshooting around ground and voltage.
Between 12.5v to 14.4v is normal. Everything for fuel economy, they fluctuate the voltage by demand so the alternator does not work so hard causing load and fuel consumption. They probably saved .00001 MPG. The ECM will even out the output.

OP
OP
EcoDRubi

EcoDRubi

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Eco on order.
The tech was saying it should stay around 14v that’s the old system we all know.

Does your EcoDiesel voltage fluctuate like mine too??

Update: They said FCA wants them to replace the low pressure EGR actuator. That’s fine and dandy. They ordered one today. Won’t be there until May 6th. @JeepCares anyway to expedite this?? My Jeep has been at the dealer more days and nights than it has at my house.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
The tech was saying it should stay around 14v that’s the old system we all know.

Does your EcoDiesel voltage fluctuate like mine too??

Update: They said FCA wants them to replace the low pressure EGR actuator. That’s fine and dandy. They ordered one today. Won’t be there until May 6th. @JeepCares anyway to expedite this?? My Jeep has been at the dealer more days and nights than it has at my house.
@Nihkole isn't this the same actuator Celeste was afflicted by? @toolaide4fit ’s speadsheet will be filling fast with EGR-related bs if this turns into yet another.

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
My voltage fluctuates between 12.5ish and 14.5ish. I assume this is by design with the variable output alternator.

No throttle issues. Driving easy for the first 150 miles, now increasing acceleration to mid RPM range. Still haven't given it a good flogging yet.

Hard to log miles being on COVID lockdown.

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
So, attached is a spreadsheet I developed for tracking issues. I plan on putting this up on Google Spreadsheets where I will add those having issues or those who want access to the list by adding their emails...each person would input and maintain their information. Please look at the spreadsheet and let me know if I missed anything.

Thanks!

Attachments

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
My voltage fluctuates between 12.5ish and 14.5ish. I assume this is by design with the variable output alternator.

No throttle issues. Driving easy for the first 150 miles, now increasing acceleration to mid RPM range. Still haven't given it a good flogging yet.

Hard to log miles being on COVID lockdown.
I was having trouble with my 07 2500 HD Duramax and took it to a shop...I had measured the voltage after having some issues with it not starting...when I checked the voltage it was up and down. So I took it to a shop and told them it needed a new alternator. When I went to pick it up, he told me it needed batteries and not an alternator. He said it was a variable output and that was normal...needless to say, instead of an expensive alternator I didn't need I got 2 new expensive batteries that were cheaper than an alternator.

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
You know this sounds like the problem Nihkole was having and there was a loose wire in the Throttle control that had issues...they tested the wire and apparently had to much resistance...they re-terminated it and it fixed the problem and it hasnn't happened since. I checked with nikhole this past weekend and everything is going great and it has happened sice.

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
So, attached is a spreadsheet I developed for tracking issues. I plan on putting this up on Google Spreadsheets where I will add those having issues or those who want access to the list by adding their emails...each person would input and maintain their information. Please look at the spreadsheet and let me know if I missed anything.

Thanks!
This is a good idea Tom, thank you. Maybe get rid of that word “car”.

Sponsored

OP
OP
EcoDRubi

EcoDRubi

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just sent the tech @Nihkole write up she got from her dealer. I sent it to the service writer a week ago and he said they checked it. The tech, as of 10 min ago said he’s never seen that. He said he would check it today. Fingers crossed again. Dang service writer dropped the ball.

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
I just sent the tech @Nihkole write up she got from her dealer. I sent it to the service writer a week ago and he said they checked it. The tech, as of 10 min ago said he’s never seen that. He said he would check it today. Fingers crossed again. Dang service writer dropped the ball.
I hope that info will help the tech find root cause. I wish we could have more confidence in dealers’ service departments. The one local to me has a mix of personalities. Not very many seem open to technical input from a customer.

OP
OP
EcoDRubi

EcoDRubi

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hope that info will help the tech find root cause. I wish we could have more confidence in dealers’ service departments. The one local to me has a mix of personalities. Not very many seem open to technical input from a customer.
Yes I would agree with that. I know the tech, he knows my mechanical ability so he seems to listen more than most techs. You know the in one ear and out the other that you usually get.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0

Thanks!
I think we’ve had 4 reported 3.0s on the forum in for service if my memory serves correct. We should just have a common thread that’s added as a sticky by the moderators for this sub-forum so people don’t have to search around for the spreadsheet, no? This will be by far the most important tool on here for those with issues to find others with the same, or prospective buyers to understand any common problems developing. If FCA wants to claim certain issues are isolated when they are not, we’ll have yet another spreadsheet to point to if people have easy access to updating it themselves.
Sponsored