4200 Miles, and zero oil

JbuckTN

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle 80th Anniversary - Diesel
I'm a little embarrassed to say, but with modern engines, I 've gotten out of the habit of checking between oil changes (every 3,000 miles). Based on posts on this forum, I've been checking, but with 2,800 miles, I'm still full.
I would not be embarrassed at all. Engines do not consume oil like previous with the tight tolerances and all... I will be checking my eco diesel though based on this thread. That is why I subscribed to it. I will be letting you all know. I just hit 300 miles yesterday.

The torque on the diesel is like an electric engine. It just pulls, shifts gears, and pulls more. It even throws you back some. Not the hundred dollar bill on the dash throwback, but it has some get-up!
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I would not be embarrassed at all. Engines do not consume oil like previous with the tight tolerances and all... I will be checking my eco diesel though based on this thread. That is why I subscribed to it. I will be letting you all know. I just hit 300 miles yesterday.

The torque on the diesel is like an electric engine. It just pulls, shifts gears, and pulls more. It even throws you back some. Not the hundred dollar bill on the dash throwback, but it has some get-up!
Thanks. Try a throttle enhancer, and you'll really feel the low end.

Anthonyb1969

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlur diesel
Mine is leaking oil with around 4500 miles on it. Been in already for this issue going in again tomorrow.

DF957D90-48B4-4431-BFDE-5F401C841D0A.png

60E5A47F-A56A-4581-9FF3-F241CBEFADB3.jpeg

68A8B05C-FFC5-4E61-AA07-17F634F030B7.jpeg

Sponsored

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Mine is leaking oil with around 4500 miles on it. Been in already for this issue going in again tomorrow.
Sorry to hear you're in the club, too.

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRUD, 2005 Porsche Boxster, 2011 BMW 335i
Occupation
Traveller of both time and space
This thread made me decide to check my oil at 9000 miles the oil was below the dipstick. Last time I checked it was at the bottom of the dipstick hash mark at 5000 miles. I ended up putting quart in and it was back at the halfway level. I looked underneath and there was just a little oil on the oil pan bolts on the passenger side. I took it in for my free wave oil change and they ended up re-torquing some things. I'll have to keep a closer eye on it...

Anthonyb1969

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlur diesel
This thread made me decide to check my oil at 9000 miles the oil was below the dipstick. Last time I checked it was at the bottom of the dipstick hash mark at 5000 miles. I ended up putting quart in and it was back at the halfway level. I looked underneath and there was just a little oil on the oil pan bolts on the passenger side. I took it in for my free wave oil change and they ended up re-torquing some things. I'll have to keep a closer eye on it...
Mine has been leaking passenger side at the turbo oil line.

Coronado

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
3200 miles on ‘21 JLURD; added slightly more than 1/2 quart of 5w40 after discovering minimal oil on stick. No evidence of leak during thorough inspection. 1/2 quart added shows at mid-point on stick. Keep a quart of MS-12991 API SN (or higher) 5w40 on-hand and check oil level, regularly.

Last edited:

JbuckTN

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle 80th Anniversary - Diesel
Mine just turned 5000 miles old and the oil has been slowly disappearing from the engine. I just added a quart today. I will watch the next 5000 miles and see if I continue to consume oil or not.

I think most people have the same experience.

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
At 2800 miles - but I took the reading while the engine was sitting cold overnight.
Added 1/5th of a quart and I will check again after I run the Jeep and take the reading 30 min after shutdown.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4200 Miles, and zero oil 1644341638170

Jeep Wrangler JL 4200 Miles, and zero oil 1644341698230

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

At 2800 miles - but I took the reading while the engine was sitting cold overnight.
Added 1/5th of a quart and I will check again after I run the Jeep and take the reading 30 min after shutdown.

My oil level shows 3/4 on the dipstick after sitting for several days. When operating on the highway, pulling over to fuel up after 5 minutes of shutdown it shows on the low end of the dipstick, but when I arrive to my destination and or home and I wait 30 minutes it shows full. Under "note" in the diesel supplement manual, it states: "It is possible for the oil level to be slightly higher than previous check this would be due to diesel fuel that may temporary be in the crankcase due to operation of the diesel particulate filter regeneration strategy. This fuel will evaporate out under normal operation." All in all I think the best time to check the oil for the most accuracy is before start up after sitting overnight or longer periods. Also noted in the diesel supplement manual is the total capacity from minimum mark to maximum mark is 1 qt. It also states "to add oil only when the level on the dipstick is below minimum mark." I hope this helps, it helped me better understand. My question is at the dealership or if you choose to have your vehicle serviced for oil change how can they check the accuracy of the oil? My thought and hoped would be they know if it shows on the bottom portion of the dipstick within a few minutes I've shut down from. Reading temperature they know they have the correct amount. I always check the next morning before start up to verify. With 26000 miles to date I have never added oil. And I never exceed 7500 between oil changes
And or anything less than 20% oil life showing. I went one step further and dropped the factory oil after 3500. It is also noted in the diesel supplement manual "the engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy-conserving type of lubricant." I do not like the way that read and this oil may have a very low viscosity just to meet or exceed whatever standards big brother had imposed on the manufacturer therefore I didn't want to keep the oil past 3500 miles. That's just me it may not matter but I wanted fresh oil sooner rather than later.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
After reading this thread yesterday I decided to check the oil level on mine. It was the afternoon and it had been sitting in the garage since the night before.

I hadn’t had any weird symptoms or dash errors leading up to checking. After checking and rechecking it three times, I had to resign myself to the fact that there really wasn't any oil on the end the dipstick.

Obviously I was surprised and somewhat worried. I drove the wife’s ride to Autozone and they didn’t have any oil with the right spec in stock. Ended up going to the dealership and got one of their 1.3gal jugs *at a discount * for $75.

It’s hard to tell how much I poured in once I got home, but it didn’t seem like much, I’m guessing a quart at most. That brought it up a little above half on the dipstick.

Then I rolled around underneath looking for leaks. I’ve done this on a few occasions previously, and like before, found no leaks. I’m hopeful they just filled to the low side at the factory and there was enough hanging around in the oil filter to make the level not register.

Couple of thoughts:
Even if you plan to use your free oil changes, it might be a good idea to track down some oil just in case. You might have a hard time finding it when you need it.

I really wish the hash marks on the dipstick were longer. Based on what @Wrangler man pulled out of the manual, the range shown on the dipstick is very narrow. It would be nice to have better idea as to *how low* the oil really is.

Edit: I’m at around 4500 miles so not due for an oil change per the manufacturers schedule.

Last edited:

KJKWillys

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Granite Crystal Willys - 6 Speed Manual
Advantage to the customer, none. But I imagine this will be the way many manufacturers go in the future. Someone checks the oil, see's none on the dip stick and off to the dealer the unit goes.

They have already done away with the transmission dip stick on many new vehicles. They don't want you to maintain them. They want that work for themselves.
My wife’s Audi DIDN'T COME WITH A DIPSTICK FROM THE FACTORY. It has a cap on the dipstick tube. You measure / monitor the oil through the CAR menu on the MMI (you CAN purchase a dipstick though, the tube is still there). I’m sure this horrifies most of the folks on this forum!

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

After reading this thread yesterday I decided to check the oil level on mine. It was the afternoon and it had been sitting in the garage since the night before.

I hadn’t had any weird symptoms or dash errors leading up to checking. After checking and rechecking I three times, I had to resign myself to the fact that there really was t any oil on the end the dipstick.

Obviously I was surprised and somewhat worried. I drove the wife’s ride to Autozone and they didn’t have any oil the right spec In them. Ended up going to the dealership and got one of their 1.3gal jugs *at a discount * for $75.

It’s hard to tell how much I poured in once I got home, but it didn’t seem like much, I’m guessing a quart at most. That brought it up a little above half on the dipstick.

Then I rolled around underneath looking for leaks. I’ve done this on a few occasions previously, and like before, found no leaks. I’m hopeful they just filled to the low side at the factory and there was enough hanging around in the oil filter to make the level not register.

Couple of thoughts:
Even if you plan to use your free oil changes, it might be a good idea to track down some oil just in case. You might have a hard time finding it when you need it.

I really wish the hash marks on the dipstick were longer. Based on what @Wrangler man pulled out of the manual, the range shown on the dipstick is very narrow. It would be nice to have better idea as to *how low* the oil really is.

Edit: I’m at around 4500 miles so not due for an oil change per the manufacturers schedule.
Good catch now you might want to periodically check your level during certain times of non operation to get a better understanding of how much is truly in your engine. I wish I had a true comparison for you I honestly never checked mine when I first bought it or within the first several months. Like yourself I am in a hot climate and I was heading into the heat of the summer after my purchase and wanted fresh oil so I did my first change very early as I stated in my first blog.
Sponsored