Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Hey all,
Here's the lowdown.
Looks like this dipstick only measures the first quart of oil.
Dealer called it a "short stick" style dip stick. Designed to know when the engine starts to lose oil, so it gets topped off or comes in for service.

In essence, it wasn't dry, but it was too high in the pan to measure the last quart of oil. The topped it off, and they did a compression test. No problems were noticed.

Apparently FCA expects diesels to drain between 1-2 quarts over the course of one oil change. More is normal during the break-in period. If it was more than 1q in 2k miles, then it is a concern (leak test check).

I'm advised to ask them to measure the drained oil every oil change so we can all be sure it's not losing more than expecting.

Anyone else seeing oil usage that high?

I'm honestly glad it didn't end up in the coolant or in the combustion chamber. Fingers crossed that this isn't a real issue and I'm just breaking in here...
Good to know I did a very hard break in on mine. Just checked oil the other day and was at 3/4 down between full and empty.

This translates to about 3/4qt of oil. Added just under that as to not overfill and it was right where it was supposed to be. So mine ate about 3/4qt in the first 2,500 miles with a hard break in.

Oh and I was going to say. The dipstick doesn’t measure much past being 1qt low. So if you’re 1.5-2qts low or more the dipstick will probably be dry.

Kind of a bummer on that one. Too bad they don’t have a better dipstick...
Sponsored

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
Good to know I did a very hard break in on mine. Just checked oil the other day and was at 3/4 down between full and empty.

This translates to about 3/4qt of oil. Added just under that as to not overfill and it was right where it was supposed to be. So mine ate about 3/4qt in the first 2,500 miles with a hard break in.

Oh and I was going to say. The dipstick doesn’t measure much past being 1qt low. So if you’re 1.5-2qts low or more the dipstick will probably be dry.

Kind of a bummer on that one. Too bad they don’t have a better dipstick...

Would you mind repeating what you did for your brake in, RPM, cycle time etc?

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Would you mind repeating what you did for your brake in, RPM, cycle time etc?
Skip to 9 minutes to miss all the blah blah blah ... or most of it at least - also this is diesel specific.

I rented a Dyno for 3 hours to break mine in. Arrived there with about 24 miles on the ODO

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Hey all,
Here's the lowdown.
Looks like this dipstick only measures the first quart of oil.
Dealer called it a "short stick" style dip stick. Designed to know when the engine starts to lose oil, so it gets topped off or comes in for service.

In essence, it wasn't dry, but it was too high in the pan to measure the last quart of oil. The topped it off, and they did a compression test. No problems were noticed.

Apparently FCA expects diesels to drain between 1-2 quarts over the course of one oil change. More is normal during the break-in period. If it was more than 1q in 2k miles, then it is a concern (leak test check).

I'm advised to ask them to measure the drained oil every oil change so we can all be sure it's not losing more than expecting.

Anyone else seeing oil usage that high?

I'm honestly glad it didn't end up in the coolant or in the combustion chamber. Fingers crossed that this isn't a real issue and I'm just breaking in here...
@chanlsrfer
I think you should edit the title of the thread. Jeep and FCA definitely have their issues, but at this point it just makes the 3.0L Ecodiesel look bad for no reason. JMO

Sponsored

Dieselfumes57

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The two bolts are oil. From passenger side just above the oil pan. I don’t know what it is but it’s leaking oil
Mine is leaking from those two bolts above the oil pan too. 5400 miles and oil hardly touch the stick

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I don't have any idea what your dealer is talking about when he refers to the "short stick". The dipstick on these is VERY common. The issue with these engines (which isn't a problem really) is that they burn a lot of oil in the first 5,000 miles or so as the rings are seating. It's imperitive to check the oil weekly during the first oil change cycle.

Mine was the same way, but now with 14,000 on the clock it doesn't burn any oil at all and I've gotten to where I only check it on a montly basis now. Oil level is always good.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I don't have any idea what your dealer is talking about when he refers to the "short stick". The dipstick on these is VERY common. The issue with these engines (which isn't a problem really) is that they burn a lot of oil in the first 5,000 miles or so as the rings are seating. It's imperitive to check the oil weekly during the first oil change cycle.

Mine was the same way, but now with 14,000 on the clock it doesn't burn any oil at all and I've gotten to where I only check it on a montly basis now. Oil level is always good.
Did it ever get low enough in the first 5k miles that you had to add oil?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Did it ever get low enough in the first 5k miles that you had to add oil?
Yes, at 2,000 miles it wouldn't even come onto the dipstick. I added a couple of quarts. Then I had to add more at 3,500ish. I did a full service at 4,200 to get the break in materials out of the oil and filter. Then the dealership did a full service on it again at 5,000 when they replaced the timing cover. After that I added a slight bit around 8,000 miles and since then it doesn't burn oil at all.

I have towed with mine quite a bit, at times close to 8,000 lbs. So my engine is now well seasoned and broken in.

Sponsored

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
@chanlsrfer
I think you should edit the title of the thread. Jeep and FCA definitely have their issues, but at this point it just makes the 3.0L Ecodiesel look bad for no reason. JMO
he's got 10 posts and half of them are in this thread. I think he's just here for the great oil scare of '21

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I was pretty spooked to see the oiled block and no oil on the dip stick of mine. They say timing chain cover is the source but all sorts of parts have to come out and get replaced for the repair. Been at the dealer over 4 weeks now waiting for parts on backorder.

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
the oil temp at 112 degrees thing... dont let that scare you. diesels are cold blooded, that's why many trucks run a grill cover in the winter.
i have a ram 3500 with cummins and some days in the winter it takes a long long long time for the oil to get to the same temp as the coolant. like an hour or more lol.

Dieselfumes57

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I’ve had a Fair amount of diesel trucks over the last 20 years but not real familiar with this eco diesel. I know I just changed my oil at 5600 miles and I’m about 2 quarts down. Little concerning. I’ve never had any diesel I’ve owned ever use oil and some had a pretty rough working life. It had been sitting over night and other than a small drip off of a couple bolts I guess it just used it.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I'm a little embarrassed to say, but with modern engines, I 've gotten out of the habit of checking between oil changes (every 3,000 miles). Based on posts on this forum, I've been checking, but with 2,800 miles, I'm still full.
Sponsored