4 Wheel Tow with Blue Ox

terrytnt

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB and BMW
Just ordered my new 2-door JL Sport S for towing this Spring/Summer. However, Blue Ox has not updated the Base Plate on account of the new JL design... NO ETA from Blue Ox. Anyone with a similar concern?
Sponsored

JLUSoCal

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in same boat with Roadmaster - no baseplate yet - but they're asking for someone (Oregon) to borrow so they can fabricate and that person get's free baseplate. I'm much to far away so I'll either wait or have my local welder build me something like they did on my XJ.

JLU jax

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I'm in same boat with Roadmaster - no baseplate yet - but they're asking for someone (Oregon) to borrow so they can fabricate and that person get's free baseplate. I'm much to far away so I'll either wait or have my local welder build me something like they did on my XJ.
I’m in the same boat. I have had my JLU since last Thursday and have spoken to Currie and Roadmaster on an ETA to get something ready. It appears Roadmaster is ahead if they can get someone to drive to WA. I have also spoken to Rugged Ridge about a bumper I can mount my Roadmaster brackets to. They are waiting for their JLs to arrive.

OP
OP

terrytnt

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB and BMW
That's quite funny, because the Blue Ox folks said the exact same thing to me. Problem is I live in PA and they want me to drive to Nebraska.... yeh right!

OP
OP

terrytnt

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB and BMW
I'm quite surprised that neither Blue Ox nor Roadmaster is willing to delay this new base plate build given the missed business opportunity

Sponsored

JLUSoCal

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm quite surprised that neither Blue Ox nor Roadmaster is willing to delay this new base plate build given the missed business opportunity
They're like other vendors - no CAD files are given out so they need to have one to design. I'm guessing they'll both have them built fairly quickly - there are not many flat tow able vehicles.... Unlike other vendors who make their living building specific parts for Jeeps they're not likely to have ordered and getting one of the first ones off the lines - We're ahead of them and if I lived closer, sure give me free stuff. I had a motorcycle once that I did that with, but that was a MUCH cheaper vehicle to hand off to someone for a week!

OP
OP

terrytnt

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB and BMW
Agree... I would definitely take advantage of the offer if within 4-6 hour drive, but PA to Nebraska???

FLSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-door Rubicon & 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk
Here is what Blue Ox just told me ...

Thank you for your interest in Blue Ox towing products. We actually have a customer scheduled to bring his JL into us in mid March. The baseplate should be available for the public towards the end of April. I will put you on the fit request list to be notified when we have a part #.

Roadmaster is saying the middle of March and to keep checking back with them.

Any other options?? I need one by April 1st for a scheduled trip.

Culvermerc1

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 4 Door
So, has anyone found a solution? Blue Ox doesn't have one yet. I have seen online that the Roadmaster's EZ5 may work but the local hitch store says no. If the EZ5 works, I would need adapters for my Blue Ox towbar.t Any ideas?

OP
OP

terrytnt

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB and BMW
YES, I've been in contact with the folks at Blue Ox. In March they finally received a 2018 JL Wrangler to build a new prototype base plate. It's now completed being manufactured for public purchase. They said they needed 30 days to build the plates and put into distribution. I would expect all of us 4 and 2 Door JL owners will have the new base plate by end of April or mid-May.

Sponsored

Culvermerc1

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 4 Door
Thanks, I think I'll wait till then...

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Thanks, I think I'll wait till then...
RoadMaster does in fact, have a base plate offering specifically for the 2018JL/JLU. I prefer Blue Ox myself.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
How about going to an aftermarket steel bumper and mounting to it?

Culvermerc1

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 4 Door
Personally , I want to keep my JL as stock as possible for as long as possible ... modifications will come with age I'm sure

Budagreg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2-Door Turbo, 2012 BMW 328i, 1999 Miata, 38' Fleetwood Expedition RV