4 wheel drive steering "wiggle"

ParkerP2

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport
I'm not sure if it's related but I put 285/70r17 tires on my stock JLU Sport and when I switch into 4WD my steering seems to "jerk" when I turn. It doesn't take a full wheel lock turn for it to happen & I was told there is clearance as long as I'm not at full lock (there's ~1" clearance at full lock when they were installed) but I'm not sure why this would happen or a remedy for it. The issue does not occur in 4x2, any ideas?
Sponsored

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport s 1999 Cherokee Sport
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
That’s perfectly normal, the transfer case doesn’t allow slip between front and rear when turning. When turning each tire is on a different path but they rotate at the same rate and the feedback you feel as a “jerk” is the slip in the system. That’s why it’s advised to use 4WD in loose traction terrain so the “jerk” you feel is applying a smaller force to the system.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I'm not sure if it's related but I put 285/70r17 tires on my stock JLU Sport and when I switch into 4WD my steering seems to "jerk" when I turn. It doesn't take a full wheel lock turn for it to happen & I was told there is clearance as long as I'm not at full lock (there's ~1" clearance at full lock when they were installed) but I'm not sure why this would happen or a remedy for it. The issue does not occur in 4x2, any ideas?
Are you doing this on flat pavement?
It’s called driveline binding.

OP
OP

ParkerP2

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport
Are you doing this on flat pavement?
It will do it on almost all terrain, I do notice it more on flat pavement but I'm assuming that's just because I'm more aware of the steering.

That’s perfectly normal, the transfer case doesn’t allow slip between front and rear when turning. When turning each tire is on a different path but they rotate at the same rate and the feedback you feel as a “jerk” is the slip in the system. That’s why it’s advised to use 4WD in loose traction terrain so the “jerk” you feel is applying a smaller force to the system.
Is there any way to alleviate it or reduce the jerk the steering wheel has?

Thank you both!!!

EDIT: I looked into driveline binding, should I be concerned that it jerks even on softer terrain? Right now the weather is a lot of icy-rain so I put it in 4WD.

Last edited:

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Auto 3.6L

Sponsored

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport s 1999 Cherokee Sport
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Is there any way to alleviate it or reduce the jerk the steering wheel has?

Thank you both!!![/QUOTE]

The looser the terrain the less you will feel. For example in sand or loose dirt you won’t feel much feedback. On a paved parking lot you will feel a lot of feedback and it’s not recommended to use 4WD on surfaces that do not allow some slip. As far as alleviating the jerk, no that’s the nature of the system and how it works. The more slip from the surface the less feedback you will feel. The system has pro’s and con’s. Pro is this system is a very tough 4WD system. Con is that you get the feedback you’re getting in the steering wheel on surfaces that don’t allow slip. Simple fix is to not use it unless you need it. If it was an AWD system that had a center differential allowing slip you wouldn’t notice the difference between FWD, RWD or AWD under normal road conditions.

OP
OP

ParkerP2

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport
Do NOT use 4WD/4x4 when on a non-slippery surfaces such as pavement. You will damage your Jeep.

Not trying to sound like a jerk but i highly suggest you take a few minutes and read through your manual on how to use and operate your jeep in 4wd if you're unfamiliar.
Start at page 327 --> https://msmownerassets.z13.web.core...ications/en-us/Jeep/2018/Wrangler_JL/9510.pdf
No worries, I did read it. It stated "This range provides additional traction for loose, slippery road surfaces only." and I was concerned because the jerk occurs to some degree on all surfaces (I noticed it again on the icy parking lot/roads driven this morning), so I figured I'd ask. :)

OP
OP

ParkerP2

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport
So would it be best to leave it off as long as I'm on pavement?

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Auto 3.6L
So would it be best to leave it off as long as I'm on pavement?
Correct. Only use 4x4 when on a slippery surface such as gravel, sand, mud, large rocks. You can use it on wet surfaces but be careful when doing so
Sponsored