mlthrasher16

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nissan Versa
Hi All,

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my dumb, potentially newb question.

I'm moving and have about $20K to drop on a car, and on the short list is a 2 door Wrangler. What makes the Wrangler appealing is it's smaller footprint, I can get it as a manual, and it being higher means I won't have to jack it up into the air when a small/moderate storm surge comes through. The highest speed in the area is 55 mph on perfectly flat terrain. I care about reliability more than average, and the Jeep would remain stock except for maybe bigger tires. Maybe... It won't go off road....maybe down a beach once or twice in it's life.

Three Jeeps at the local lot come in below budget: an 06' with the 4 cylinder (87,000 miles), an 07' with the I6 (80,000 miles), and a 15' with the V6 (115,000 miles).

The 06 with the 4 banger is $6K less than the 07, which I like. It's also 100% stock - also a plus. But I also know that I6 engine is pretty tough, and I know nothing about the 4. Given all this, which engine would you choose? Obviously, they're less powerful, but is the 4 less reliable in this sort of environment than the 6?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Thegrants82

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Hi All,

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my dumb, potentially newb question.

I'm moving and have about $20K to drop on a car, and on the short list is a 2 door Wrangler. What makes the Wrangler appealing is it's smaller footprint, I can get it as a manual, and it being higher means I won't have to jack it up into the air when a small/moderate storm surge comes through. The highest speed in the area is 55 mph on perfectly flat terrain. I care about reliability more than average, and the Jeep would remain stock except for maybe bigger tires. Maybe... It won't go off road....maybe down a beach once or twice in it's life.

Three Jeeps at the local lot come in below budget: an 06' with the 4 cylinder (87,000 miles), an 07' with the I6 (80,000 miles), and a 15' with the V6 (115,000 miles).

The 06 with the 4 banger is $6K less than the 07, which I like. It's also 100% stock - also a plus. But I also know that I6 engine is pretty tough, and I know nothing about the 4. Given all this, which engine would you choose? Obviously, they're less powerful, but is the 4 less reliable in this sort of environment than the 6?

Thanks!
No its not.

Deleted member 59498

I drove the I6 and it was a great engine for its day, the 15 with the Pentastar is also a proven engine these days. I would probably go with the V6 myself if carfax was right. But just one opinion :)

I knew of a buddy had a 4cycl he never complained that I remember but that was 15 years ago. He just used it for a daily driver.

Sponsored

MontyW

First Name
Monty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK, 2016 JKU, 2020 JLU, ‘73 CJ5
pull a CarFax on them and see what they show. Each has their own strength,s but prior maintenance and accidents can trump any of that.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I have the V6 because it is the only engine you can tie to the 6MT. So far 5K mi. I've been satisfied with the performance of the V6, however low-end torque isn't what I'd have expected.

The only way you'll know is to test drive them each, and decide for yourself.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
4 cyl in TJ is fine for reliability but gutless and sucks down gas.

3.8 V6 in 07 (its not a straight six) is also gutless and not super reliable.

3.6 V6 in the 15 is the best engine of three but Id want to know overall condition of each vehicle.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Not just the V6. but everything is 8 years newer on the 15 vs the 07, and 9 yrs newer than the 06. If the condition of all 3 is similar the 15 is a clear winner unless the price difference is crazy.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I’d get the 06 as long as it is in good shape. The TJ’s are just fantastic vehicles.
The 07 JK does not have the straight 6.
The 15 JK with the 3.6 V6 is the best choice for all purposes other than fun. The TJ is just so much more fun.

OP
OP

mlthrasher16

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nissan Versa
4 cyl in TJ is fine for reliability but gutless and sucks down gas.

3.8 V6 in 07 (its not a straight six) is also gutless and not super reliable.

3.6 V6 in the 15 is the best engine of three but Id want to know overall condition of each vehicle.
Thank you for this! I think you just helped me catch them in a lie. Or mistake. They are a used car dealer...

I opened the hood -it had an inline 6 engine. But I didn't check the door jam for the mfg. year....so it's a least 1 yr (?) older than they said.

OP
OP

mlthrasher16

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nissan Versa
Not just the V6. but everything is 8 years newer on the 15 vs the 07, and 9 yrs newer than the 06. If the condition of all 3 is similar the 15 is a clear winner unless the price difference is crazy.
Very true. But I'm old before my time and I like simple. And I had a 1/2 beat to death F150 that had an I6 in it, and it just never faultered, so I may be biased, but can be swayed. Creature comforts are nice, but I'd sacrafifice for reliability. Do you think the V6 is just as good an engine?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Thank you for this! I think you just helped me catch them in a lie. Or mistake. They are a used car dealer...

I opened the hood -it had an inline 6 engine. But I didn't check the door jam for the mfg. year....so it's a least 1 yr (?) older than they said.
If it was indeed the same body style as the 06, then it is an 06 or older. The straight 6 in that case is the best. Got a link to a listing for it?

I assume that the 2015 is considerably more expensive, but the 3.6L V6 is a fantastic engine.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Very true. But I'm old before my time and I like simple. And I had a 1/2 beat to death F150 that had an I6 in it, and it just never faultered, so I may be biased, but can be swayed. Creature comforts are nice, but I'd sacrafifice for reliability. Do you think the V6 is just as good an engine?
The Pentastar V6 (the one in the 2015) has been listed in Wards 10 best engines for several years. It's a proven reliable engine for sure. But any engine can be a crapper if the owner didn't take reasonable care of it.
Sponsored