Sponsored

4 position transfer case/8 speed auto. Shifting questions...

Kristian

First Name
Kristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon/Recon
I've got experience 4WD but this is my first jeep. Rubicon/recon JL. 8 speed auto. 4 position transfer case.

Shifting the transfer case between 4H and 4L and back is good. Shifting 4H to neutral, and down into 4L is good. I run into some weirdness shifting from 4L back to neutral, and when I get there there's no neutral gate like there is going the other way (instead of moving back and forth freely, it's in a fixed position). Then from neutral to 4H is hard, and often it skips right past 4H into 2H.

Tips? Advice? Thanks!
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've got experience 4WD but this is my first jeep. Rubicon/recon JL. 8 speed auto. 4 position transfer case.

Shifting the transfer case between 4H and 4L and back is good. Shifting 4H to neutral, and down into 4L is good. I run into some weirdness shifting from 4L back to neutral, and when I get there there's no neutral gate like there is going the other way (instead of moving back and forth freely, it's in a fixed position). Then from neutral to 4H is hard, and often it skips right past 4H into 2H.

Tips? Advice? Thanks!
Don’t hesitate in neutral, you need to push it up firmly from 4L to 4H in one constant motion. The more you do it the easier it will get.

OP
OP
Kristian

Kristian

First Name
Kristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don’t hesitate in neutral, you need to push it up firmly from 4L to 4H in one constant motion. The more you do it the easier it will get.
Thanks. I presume this shift is made in neutral, unlike 2H to 4H and back (which is smooth while rolling along in drive, foot off the gas-per manual).

4L to 4H by your method works, is some clashing of the gears okay?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I presume this shift is made in neutral, unlike 2H to 4H and back (which is smooth while rolling along in drive, foot off the gas-per manual).

4L to 4H by your method works, is some clashing of the gears okay?
Yes, you will experience less and less of that the more you use it. I’ve used mine so often that I come to a complete stop and with trans in neutral I can put in 4L easily and without grinding.

OP
OP
Kristian

Kristian

First Name
Kristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, you will experience less and less of that the more you use it. I’ve used mine so often that I come to a complete stop and with trans in neutral I can put in 4L easily and without grinding.
Thanks.

I've only posted here a few times, but when I have I've always gotten informed answers from experienced jeepers. đź‘Ť

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks.

I've only posted here a few times, but when I have I've always gotten informed answers from experienced jeepers. đź‘Ť
No problem, anytime.
Sponsored