Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Well one of my Jeeping bud's wife called my wife and said that they were staying in a condo in Florida for two weeks and that if we wanted to join them for a week, that they would put us up at no cost. Well fuck can't turn down a free week of lodging in a nice condo in Florida. I check airfare and hey $68 for a round trip ticket from Detroit to Orlando. Got to go.

Then I get thinking, hey, fly the wife down, I leave a week early and wheel in Georgia, Alabama and Florida. Hit up my normal crew and see if they are in. Bill with the Punk'N jeep is in for Alabama and then will return home, Phil in the Sting Ray Grey jeep tell me that he is already going to Florida to house shop for a 2nd home and to visit his parents so he is in and Gary in the Ocean Blue Jeep says hey the load restrictions will be on the roads, so he is in and he will fly his wife down with my wife and then go do their own thing.

Well wheeling in Georgia does not pan out. They close down the badge trail for winter in Georgia...wtf? Figure this out a few days before we leave. No big problem, we will just wheel more in Alabama. Go out into the National Forest, hey what ever...... Well not much wheeling there either.

Well on with the story as it unfolds. Lucky for me my normal crew is low drama and we have a great time.

March 1st 630 AM is go time. We are leaving the campers at home and if weather treats us right, we will camp if we can and stay in hotels when needed.

Gary shows up early...530 am and just as I try and get momma in the mood, she say did someone just pull into the driveway???? Fuck Gary is an hour early. Everyone is at the house, coffee mugs filled up and ready to go at 630 AM.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 1616154199717

Of course Gary is an hour early, but did not gas up so our first stop is 20 miles down the road so Gary can fill up. Gary is getting blazed good on the radio for cock blocking and needing fuel before we hit the highway.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 1616154278290

We make it to Nashville TN. for our first stop that is not for fuel.... I had to push them a little bit as they wanted to stop earlier, but told them that we are going to the place that had the best rated Nashville Hot chicken in Nashville, It was awesome and worth the wait. We need the break from driving anyways. It also eased the pain when I picked up the bill.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 1616154833583

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 1616154645878

Make just over the boarder into Alabama for the first night. Walk outside and say that a nice car, but the JLURs parked off to the side will be way more fun.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 1616154947514

It is Tuesday, and we have two full days to burn because the first set of badge trails are in Stoney Lonesome OHV park and it does not open until Thursday..... or at least that is what the Jeep badge of Honor apps states, and Google states.... More to come on this.

We head out into the Bankhead National Forest to explore the forest roads and trails. Pass a very clean Jeep truck that according to Gary is kind of rare do to a special feature that was on that truck

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 1616155215247

Finally, we are going to do some wheeling.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 1616155336049

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 1616155372473

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 1616155415370

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 1616155575659

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 1616155643945

Well after cutting our way through about 10 or so down tree spots and burning up two tanks of gas in the chainsaw, Bankhead was just not panning out as a good place to wheel. I was surprised at how poorly the place was maintained. You could easily spend a few weeks there just on the trails we tried to run picking up trash. We finally made it to the trail that we planned to run. Yup, it was gated off and closed.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 1616155872831

Luck was with us though as an old guy.... older than any of us.... pulled up and chatted with us for a bit. He showed us some cool spots to hike so off we went for a two feet adventure as the wheeling thing was just not pinning out

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 1616156014200

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 1616156269572

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 1616156319101

More to come. It will get better. I have a bunch of GoPro stuff and drone stuff to come. Stoney Lonesome is a cool place and the people that work there are awesome.
Sponsored

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 47E4F015-C566-47A9-8AEB-2C7ED3158288
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... F4D41ACF-7AB3-4BFF-AAEE-4657DFD1B5F6

Great story. We hit Talladega National Forest, 600-1, where the ice was thick around New Years.

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
Hattie B's, Uncle Lou's, & Gus's! We definitely have some of the best fried chicken here in TN.

Hope y'all have had a safe trip & a whole lot of fun! Looks like it so far. Can't wait to see more.
:like:

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
While not directly related, this is a video from our hike. BunkHead was not good Jeeping, but hey the hiking was beautiful. This was from about 2 miles of hiking...... That is out and back to a total distance of about 1 mile. There were many water falls.

Well we had Wednesday to burn as we thought that the Stoney Lonesome Off road park did not open until Thursday. So hit up the US Space and Rocket center in Alabama for something to do. It was worth the price of omission.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 1616322261039

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 1616322305607

Got busted trying to put a Jeep sticker on the moon rover vehicle.....
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 1616322452703

Apparently NASA has some cool recovery gear too.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 1616322520493

I played the video games this guy developed back in 1984 or 1985 on my Apple IIC computer. I had a lighting fast 400 baud modem. Fuck yea.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 1616322642089

Okay back to Jeep stuff. Asked the guy if he wanted to race, He said hell no, I know that thing has a 3.6 PentaSTAR in it and 5.13 gears. Wise choice my man.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 1616322858055

This is the 3rd Blackbird type aircraft I have seen in person. I am always awestruck by the awesomeness of this aircraft.

As a side note, I have a long time friend. We don't talk often, but hey we have been friends for 49 years of my 53 years of life.... Long time friend..... He is a space nut. I call him out of the blue and say hey it is your birthday in two days, turn on your video chat and I will walk you through the gift shop and pick you up something. He is like dude, I know exactly what I want. It was a mouse pad.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 1616323432128

Now back to wheeling. While there were no decent trails that I could find for a full day of wheeling, Using Gaia, I was able to find a little bit of wheeling by a lake and a decent place to cook dinner.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 1616324201136

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 1616324260698

So as we plan to head to Stoney Lonesome Off Road park on Thursday, we discover a shanfu.... They are closed on Thursday..... WTF, The Jeep Badge of Honor app shows them open on Thursday, Google shows them open on Thursday, their web site states their office is open, but the park is closed. FUCK we have already burned two days waiting for them to open. Just a small vent...... WTF Jeep, stop putting trails in places that have limited access or are closed for part of the year. We already missed the badge trail in Georgia because it is closed for winter......winter in Georgia and there are badge trails in parks that are only open occasionally.

Well we say fuck it and show up on Thursday with the hopes that after traveling a longways, they will show mercy and let us wheel in a closed park. We show up and they open the gate and let us wheel. We have the whole park to ourselves. Hats off to Stoney Lonesome. They are awesome. We each spent over $50 dollars in the gift shop to show our appreciation.

Stoney Lonesome is a great park. The wheeling is fantastic and while we only had about 5 hours of time left, it was a glorious 5 hours of wheeling. It was worth the 10+ hour drive from Michigan to wheel at Stoney Lonesome and we will be back.

Air down them tires, we have some wheeling to get done. Finally after 4 days in the Jeep, some real wheeling.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 1616325726522

Just so you know the struggle is real.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 1616325946455

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 1616326105750

The ledge at Gut Buster. It is at least 6 feet tall and the approach is a very steep angle. The trail was real wet. Looked like a small creek running down the tail. I tied getting up to the ledge and made it about half way. The conditions with the trail being wet would hav required winching almost the whole trail. We just did not have the time for that as there was still a lot of things to see in our limited time.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs head from Michigan to Alabama and Florida to Wheel. Pick up some more Badges... 1616326981752

More to come on Stoney Lonesome. Still looking and editing to be done.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if you were near it at any point, but Eglin AFB has trails on the base. They are peppered with military wrecks, including tanks, rockets, jets, missiles, helecopters and even a dummy MIRV ICBM warhead! I'm not sure if they have kept it open during Covid, but I've heard it is fun and the pics of the military junk make it look like a lot of fun!

daboink

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Wrangler JL 3.6
Occupation
Design/Builder
Awesome trip and an awesome video! I need to do the same in reverse and head to the Northeast to discover some neat places.

Marlon_JB2

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR, 2014 Dodge Dart GT
Occupation
Jeep Builder
This sounds like a fun trip!

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Not sure if you were near it at any point, but Eglin AFB has trails on the base. They are peppered with military wrecks, including tanks, rockets, jets, missiles, helecopters and even a dummy MIRV ICBM warhead! I'm not sure if they have kept it open during Covid, but I've heard it is fun and the pics of the military junk make it look like a lot of fun!
Well dam. I wish I would have known about this. We could have made time for this.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well dam. I wish I would have known about this. We could have made time for this.
I'm sorry! I wish I'd thought of it a couple days ago when I saw this awesome thread! It's on my short list, for sure!

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
if your a fan of the SR-71 there is one at the air and space Udvar Hazey museum at Dulles airport in chantilly va. i think it is closed right now, but hopefully will be back open when the covid nonsense stops. They also have the space shuttle discovery on display behind the blackbird. its incredible to see up close. Its a pretty cool museum. we have gone 4 or 5 times lol. Also, in Richmond Va they have an SR hanging from the ceiling inside the Science museum. Oh and if your ever in dayton ohio check out the Wright Patterson museum, that one takes a full day to see, they have the Memphis Belle, and all the Air Force "black jets" I just slightly love airplanes lol

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
if your a fan of the SR-71 there is one at the air and space Udvar Hazey museum at Dulles airport in chantilly va. i think it is closed right now, but hopefully will be back open when the covid nonsense stops. They also have the space shuttle discovery on display behind the blackbird. its incredible to see up close. Its a pretty cool museum. we have gone 4 or 5 times lol. Also, in Richmond Va they have an SR hanging from the ceiling inside the Science museum. Oh and if your ever in dayton ohio check out the Wright Patterson museum, that one takes a full day to see, they have the Memphis Belle, and all the Air Force "black jets" I just slightly love airplanes lol
I have been to the one in Dayton Ohio four times. It is an awesome and if you are an aviation fan, a must see bucket list kind of thing.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
They're open now unless the fly-boys are blowing-up stuff.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
I have been to the one in Dayton Ohio four times. It is an awesome and if you are an aviation fan, a must see bucket list kind of thing.
LOL ive lost count how many times i have been there. My son and i are going in june on vacation. No wheeling just one heck of a road trip which we will wind up in michigan.
Sponsored