Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.justinbmcbride.com
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Content Creator
Hi, I’ve owned my Jeep for just a couple weeks. When I attempt to engage 4-hi it slips into neutral (not the transmission but the transfer case). Am I doing something stupid?
Sponsored

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
Work the hell out of the shifter in and out a thousand times if that is what it takes to loosen it and your muscle memory. you can leave the engine off and work the shifter in and out of 2H 4H this will make the shifter looser and easy to control with a gentle motion. When people are first starting, the 4 wile drive shifter seem to be a bit of a mystery. Keep practicing with it you’ll get it.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
I've had mine just over a year and been in 4 low a couple dozen times. It used to slip regularly, but now it's good. Somewhere between knowing it's fully in 4L and it getting used it works out. I've learned to be very positive (forceful) when shifting into 4L, and it sticks.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Only time that has happened to me was in 4 lo and I just hadn’t pushed it in enough. Happened twice I think.

Sponsored

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Hi, I’ve owned my Jeep for just a couple weeks. When I attempt to engage 4-hi it slips into neutral (not the transmission but the transfer case). Am I doing something stupid?
Did you get this figured out and do you mean 4H or 4L?

I don’t see how the transfer case could slip from 4H to N since you have to push the lever to the right to get from 4H to N (unless there is something wrong). The shift from 2H to 4H is the easiest one there is - straight back and vice versa.

From 4H to 4L you could end up in N f you pause in N or if it doesn’t fully engage in 4L. Shift from 4H to 4L without hesitating in N and all should be fine. If not, get it checked out.

OP
OP
justinbmcbride

justinbmcbride

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.justinbmcbride.com
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Content Creator
Did you get this figured out and do you mean 4H or 4L?

I don’t see how the transfer case could slip from 4H to N since you have to push the lever to the right to get from 4H to N (unless there is something wrong). The shift from 2H to 4H is the easiest one there is - straight back and vice versa.

From 4H to 4L you could end up in N f you pause in N or if it doesn’t fully engage in 4L. Shift from 4H to 4L without hesitating in N and all should be fine. If not, get it checked out.
I haven’t figured it out yet. It’ll hold 4-lo just fine. It’s a 4-hi issue.

Sponsored

ELJeffe77

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0 Turbo, Delivered on 08/30/2021
Occupation
Affiliate Marketer & Search Engine Optimization Consultant
I just had this happen today and multiple times in low four-wheel-drive, four-wheel-drive high is fine… Anybody get a resolution yet?

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I seem to remember a Linkage Adjustment issue, accessible from underneath. Once length properly adjusted, no more problems

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
2 cents here...

@justinbmcbride are you SURE you are talking about 4HI and not 4LO? 4HI is a simple straight back pull on the t-case lever. There is no way in the world the lever should pop OVER to the right and then BACKWARDS a second time into neutral. If it is you either are having a mild epileptic seizure when going into 4HI or you have the world's most F*CKED UP transfer case. Either see a doctor or the dealer.

Now if it's really 4LO we are talking about I get that. The best procedure for getting into 4LO and having it stay there is...
Be moving either forward or backwards at about 3MPH.
Put the transmission in neutral.
FIRMLY pull the t-case lever back, over to the right and back again into 4LO. Make sure you give it a really good bump into 4LO.
Put tranny back in drive.
If it pops out, simply repeat. The more you do it the better it will get. If it continues to constantly pop out of 4LO see the dealer for a linkage adjustment.

ELJeffe77

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0 Turbo, Delivered on 08/30/2021
Occupation
Affiliate Marketer & Search Engine Optimization Consultant
I seem to remember a Linkage Adjustment issue, accessible from underneath. Once length properly adjusted, no more problems
Thanks, I had this happen 3 times yesterday while in 4Low (first time it's happened), once on Rocks, and 2 more times on a really steep/rutted hill which kinda sucked.

This something the dealers can do easily? I'm not that technical lol

Thanks

Cinby411

First Name
Cin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willy's
I had this happen. I brought it to the dealership. They confirmed it was a problem with the transfer case. They ordered a transfer case. It took almost a month to come in. They fixed it in a day. I picked it up. On the way home, I wanted to test it the problem was solved. I was driving on a regular street, going slow speeds, and all of a sudden lost power to the wheels and almost got in an accident because of the cars behind me. I could not shift the transfer case back. The shifter was stuck. The transmission was on drive but when I pressed the gas, the car did not move. I filed a claim with FCA, (Fiat, Chrysler, Association). They do not want another lawsuit so they will either buy back my vehicle or trade in for significantly lower than invoice price, is what I've researched. I am waiting for them to call me for the next steps.
Sponsored