Sponsored

4 door JLUR towing rating in Europe is at 5,500 lbs! What the...??

alkapin

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLUR, 2014 White GL350
It would be the ideal to tow a comfortable trailer for a long-distance/time trip, stop at an RV site/park/etc., disconnect and then go explore the area for some actual off-road trails for a day or two, come back and enjoy the hot shower and a comfortable bed. This format was always very attractive for me. But low towing capacity was always a weak point in this plan. Apparently, there is more to it :) Anyone from Europe here can provide details why the tow rating is 5500 lbs. vs 3500 lbs. in NA?

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 door JLUR towing rating in Europe is at 5,500 lbs! What the...?? 1638516387359
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
It would be the ideal to tow a comfortable trailer for a long-distance/time trip, stop at an RV site/park/etc., disconnect and then go explore the area for some actual off-road trails for a day or two, come back and enjoy the hot shower and a comfortable bed. This format was always very attractive for me. But low towing capacity was always a weak point in this plan. Apparently, there is more to it :) Anyone from Europe here can provide details why the tow rating is 5500 lbs. vs 3500 lbs. in NA?

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 door JLUR towing rating in Europe is at 5,500 lbs! What the...?? 1638516387359

TL;DR.....different safety standards.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Excellent video. The bottom line is you can probably tow whatever you want if you know what your limits are. The problem is most people don't stay within those limits or have no clue what the limits are to start with. For Jeeps, it's not those 30 mph gravel roads, it's the 70+ mph highway getting there. If you think death wobble is exciting try a fishtailing trailer that weighs almost as much as your Jeep.

OP, take a look at my avitar. I can tow it on a long trip, unhook and go explore and come back and have a hot shower and a comfortable bed. The motorhome folks can do the same.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Bit of my perspective.

I've got a 23' Wellcraft Excel that I tow with my JLUD. The trailer/boat weighs 5000lbs. It has trailer brakes.

According to US standards, I'm over my tow rating. However, looking at SAE J2807 (the tow rating standard in the US), here are the criteria:
Performance AttributePerformance MetricRequirementApplicable?
Level Road Acceleration0-60 mph30.0 seconds single-rear-wheel/35.0 seconds dual-rear-wheelX
Level Road Acceleration40-60 mph18.0 seconds single-rear-wheel/21.0 seconds dual-rear-wheelX
Launch on Grade12% grade, forward directionFive launches to 5.0 meters (16 feet) in 5 minutes
Launch on Grade12% grade, reverse directionFive launches to 5.0 meters (16 feet) in 5 minutes
Highway GradeabilityMinimum speed on grade (Davis Dam)40 mph single-rear-wheel/35 mph dual-rear-wheel
Highway GradeabilityDrivetrain system performanceNo component failures, no diagnostic codes that alert the operator, no customer warningsX
Highway GradeabilityCooling system performanceNo component failures, no diagnostic codes that alert the operator to take service or driving action, no customer warnings, no fluid lossX
Tow vehicle understeerUndersteer at lateral acceleration ≤0.3 g at 100% FALR<0 degree/gX
Tow vehicle understeerUndersteer at lateral acceleration ≤0.4 g at 50% FALR0 degree/gX
Tow vehicle understeerUndersteer at lateral acceleration ≤0.4 g for weight carrying TWR (0% FALR) and for fifth-wheel and/or gooseneck TWR0 degree/g
Trailer Sway ResponseTrailer sway damping ratio0.10 at 100 km/h (62.1 mph)X
Combination StabilityDeviation within laneRemain within a 3.5-meter-wide (11.5 feet) lane throughout stopX
Combination Stopping DistanceStopping distance 20-0 mph for TWR 3,000 pounds≤35 feet, except ≤45 feet at any TWR above the tow vehicle’s unbraked TWRX
Combination Stopping DistanceStopping distance 20-0 mph for TWR 3,000 pounds≤80 feetX
Park Brake PerformanceHold on grade12% grade at GCWR (upward and downward)

Now, look specifically at that righthand column. Those are the ones that are applicable to me. I live in SE Louisiana. The highest grade that I encounter is the Huey P. Long bridge, which has a 1.5* grade. So, all of those "12% grade" things simply never occur for me.

For the other criteria, I have performed each of those tests with my Jeep and boat. It passes just fine. In fact, it even did the braking tests WITHOUT the trailer brakes activated (I was curious to see how it did in case of a failure or if I was a dumbass and forgot to hook up the wiring).

Also, keep in mind that tow rating is NOT a legal concept. There is no law stating you, as a private vehicle (not for-hire or commercial) cannot exceed the tow rating of a vehicle. Of course, there is the concept of liability, which is a civil matter. No lawyer will tell you that you are definitely at fault or not in a case of comparable liability - anyone that says differently either a) isn't a lawyer or, b) hasn't gone through a civil liability trial.

Is towing above the rating more dangerous than under? Sure. You are moving more weight around. But, on that same token, driving is more dangerous than walking. And walking is more dangerous than staying in bed.

TLDR: our Jeeps do just fine towing up to 5500lbs, assuming you have proper weight distribution in your trailer and trailer brakes.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Bit of my perspective.

I've got a 23' Wellcraft Excel that I tow with my JLUD. The trailer/boat weighs 5000lbs. It has trailer brakes.

According to US standards, I'm over my tow rating. However, looking at SAE J2807 (the tow rating standard in the US), here are the criteria:
Level Road Acceleration0-60 mph30.0 seconds single-rear-wheel/35.0 seconds dual-rear-wheelX
Level Road Acceleration40-60 mph18.0 seconds single-rear-wheel/21.0 seconds dual-rear-wheelX
Launch on Grade12% grade, forward directionFive launches to 5.0 meters (16 feet) in 5 minutes
Launch on Grade12% grade, reverse directionFive launches to 5.0 meters (16 feet) in 5 minutes
Highway GradeabilityMinimum speed on grade (Davis Dam)40 mph single-rear-wheel/35 mph dual-rear-wheel
Highway GradeabilityDrivetrain system performanceNo component failures, no diagnostic codes that alert the operator, no customer warningsX
Highway GradeabilityCooling system performanceNo component failures, no diagnostic codes that alert the operator to take service or driving action, no customer warnings, no fluid lossX
Tow vehicle understeerUndersteer at lateral acceleration ≤0.3 g at 100% FALR<0 degree/gX
Tow vehicle understeerUndersteer at lateral acceleration ≤0.4 g at 50% FALR0 degree/gX
Tow vehicle understeerUndersteer at lateral acceleration ≤0.4 g for weight carrying TWR (0% FALR) and for fifth-wheel and/or gooseneck TWR0 degree/g
Combination StabilityDeviation within laneRemain within a 3.5-meter-wide (11.5 feet) lane throughout stopX
Combination Stopping DistanceStopping distance 20-0 mph for TWR 3,000 pounds≤35 feet, except ≤45 feet at any TWR above the tow vehicle’s unbraked TWRX
Combination Stopping DistanceStopping distance 20-0 mph for TWR 3,000 pounds≤80 feetX

Now, look specifically at that righthand column. Those are the ones that are applicable to me. I live in SE Louisiana. The highest grade that I encounter is the Huey P. Long bridge, which has a 1.5* grade. So, all of those "12% grade" things simply never occur for me.

For the other criteria, I have performed each of those tests with my Jeep and boat. It passes just fine. In fact, it even did the braking tests WITHOUT the trailer brakes activated (I was curious to see how it did in case of a failure or if I was a dumbass and forgot to hook up the wiring).

Also, keep in mind that tow rating is NOT a legal concept. There is no law stating you, as a private vehicle (not for-hire or commercial) cannot exceed the tow rating of a vehicle. Of course, there is the concept of liability, which is a civil matter. No lawyer will tell you that you are definitely at fault or not in a case of comparable liability - anyone that says differently either a) isn't a lawyer or, b) hasn't gone through a civil liability trial.

Is towing above the rating more dangerous than under? Sure. You are moving more weight around. But, on that same token, driving is more dangerous than walking. And walking is more dangerous than staying in bed.

TLDR: our Jeeps do just fine towing up to 5500lbs, assuming you have proper weight distribution in your trailer and trailer brakes.
Lol, I imagine you also tow a fuel tanker concurrently ;)

Sponsored

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Hello. What a useful response. Well done and thank you.

Bit of my perspective.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Lol, I imagine you also tow a fuel tanker concurrently ;)
Yeah, it's a diesel. I get around 17mpg at 55mph on the highway. A bit less, but not much, at ~65 on the interstate.

And trans/oil/coolant temps are all A-OK.

Coolant Temp - towing.jpg

Oil Temp - towing.jpg

Trans Temp - towing.jpg

philbar715

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Yep, 3.6 JLU Sport does fine with a boat! I would imagine a trailer weighing 5500lbs would be a little different considering trailers have a much larger frontal area and boats are decently aerodynamic.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jlu-sport-towing-larger-boat-success.79783/

Bit of my perspective.

Glad to see there is another that tows something just as large as I do!

Sponsored

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
The one that gets me is:

This is a brutal test. 11+ mile 5% grade, must be tested at outdoor temp greater than 100*F, AC must be run at full blast.

The manufacturer could pass every other test, fail this one and have to derate their tow spec. For 95% of the country, this one test is so far out of reality it is almost comical.

While test standards are a useful thing, having full knowledge of exactly how they apply to your situation is even more important IMO. The OP demonstrates this perfectly.

Pete

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
A boat trailer has the axles located way aft because that's where the motor is. This lowers the tongue weight compared to a travel trailer. A 5500# travel trailer should have a at least 550# tongue weight. Your stock hitch is a Class 2 receiver. A Class 3 WDH will fit a Class 2 receiver. A Class 2 receiver will fail with the torque from a Class 3 WDH. Will it fail catastrophically? Probably not. Will it bend your frame? Most likely.

philbar715

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
A boat trailer has the axles located way aft because that's where the motor is. This lowers the tongue weight compared to a travel trailer. A 5500# travel trailer should have a at least 550# tongue weight. Your stock hitch is a Class 2 receiver. A Class 3 WDH will fit a Class 2 receiver. A Class 2 receiver will fail with the torque from a Class 3 WDH. Will it fail catastrophically? Probably not. Will it bend your frame? Most likely.
I would like to see some evidence for this claim that a WDH would bend the frame. Same frame for EU/Aus wrangler and they are rated for 5500lbs with WDH and trailer brakes. I do agree a 5500lbs travel trailer would be a more challenging tow vs a 5500lbs boat due to the side and frontal area.

Fatalis12B

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 6sp MT JLUR
Occupation
Retired
The simple answer is...Government Compliance and Liability. Just like engines are de-tuned for emission/EPA standards (Hence why tuners can get more out of an engine), the true tow capacity is lowered so that the manufacturer cant be sued when you wreck pulling a trailer. Blame the Gov and the Lawyers.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I really don't know it would bend your frame. I do know Class 3, 4 and 5 receivers are rated for a WDH. Class 2 receivers are not. That torque exerted by the WDH has to go somewhere and the frame is a likely location. It does get pretty confusing because a Class 3 hitch is rated above 5000# but aftermarket Class 3s for JL are rated to only 3500# max. I'm not saying you can't use a WDH on JLs but I am suggesting you have a good hitch shop inspect and maybe modify the existing hitch to accommodate a WDH. I'm a firm believer you should do your own research and do what you want.
Sponsored