Sponsored

4 door JLUR towing rating in Europe is at 5,500 lbs! What the...??

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Aftermarket hitch manufacturers are not going to assign a higher weight rating than what the factory max for the vehicle is. Doing so would shift full liability onto them, and every Karen and Ken would be lawyering up super quick to make a buck off their own stupid decisions.
Blame California for most of the shitty emissions and towing limitations we now have.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The one that gets me is:

Highway GradeabilityMinimum speed on grade (Davis Dam)40 mph single-rear-wheel/35 mph dual-rear-wheel

This is a brutal test. 11+ mile 5% grade, must be tested at outdoor temp greater than 100*F, AC must be run at full blast.

The manufacturer could pass every other test, fail this one and have to derate their tow spec. For 95% of the country, this one test is so far out of reality it is almost comical.

While test standards are a useful thing, having full knowledge of exactly how they apply to your situation is even more important IMO. The OP demonstrates this perfectly.

Pete
I-15 between Baker CA and Las Vegas is the only place I've ever encountered those brutal conditions. Hard on the cooling system, but you could always shut off the AC if Temps start to climb.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I haven’t seen anything that says Wrangler’s towing capacity is J2807 certified. I don’t believe it is, which makes the criteria pointless in this application.

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
If you think death wobble is exciting try a fishtailing trailer that weighs almost as much as your Jeep.
Years ago my friend's older brother and their brother in law were moving a large boat. They were in a Grand Cherokee and were coming down a pretty steep grade when they started to fishtail. They ended up getting spun onto their side and as they slid down the highway they watched the boat roll on past them. It wasn't good but at least they both walked away from it.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Years ago my friend's older brother and their brother in law were moving a large boat. They were in a Grand Cherokee and were coming down a pretty steep grade when they started to fishtail. They ended up getting spun onto their side and as they slid down the highway they watched the boat roll on past them. It wasn't good but at least they both walked away from it.
Yeah, if I had grades here, I would seriously reconsider. But, boats big enough to go offshore don't usually end up getting towed through mountains . . . your friend's older brother notwithstanding, obviously! hahaha

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Blame it on the metric system.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I did extensive research on this as well, but had never seen that J2807 standard. My immediate question with that is what class that is rating? Is that for Class 2? 3? 4? 5?

In my research last year though I got in touch with an aussie that sent me pictures of his receiver, also rated to the Euro rating of 5500#.

There were slight differences in the receivers, the Euro/aussie version looked a bit beefier than the US version. He also explained that towing in the EU and AUS is highly restricted and controlled as well.

I'll try to remember to find those pictures later, they're not on the forum.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I did extensive research on this as well, but had never seen that J2807 standard. My immediate question with that is what class that is rating? Is that for Class 2? 3? 4? 5?

In my research last year though I got in touch with an aussie that sent me pictures of his receiver, also rated to the Euro rating of 5500#.

There were slight differences in the receivers, the Euro/aussie version looked a bit beefier than the US version. He also explained that towing in the EU and AUS is highly restricted and controlled as well.

I'll try to remember to find those pictures later, they're not on the forum.
From what I understand, the Class rating is JUST for a tow hitch. Basically, it's independent from the tow rating to a large degree. They are usually matched up when factory installed. But, you can get a Class 2 receiver on a 3/4 ton truck (maybe - don't really know). All that happens is that you now have a truck that CAN tow a lot, but a receiver that can't handle it.

My Jeep came with a Class 3 hitch receiver. The Jeep website says only a Class 2 is available, but it's definitely a 3 (2" receiver).

One thing of note about the Aus/EU ratings is that they are for trailers with brakes. For non-braked trailers, the rating goes WAY down.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
From what I understand, the Class rating is JUST for a tow hitch. Basically, it's independent from the tow rating to a large degree. They are usually matched up when factory installed. But, you can get a Class 2 receiver on a 3/4 ton truck (maybe - don't really know). All that happens is that you now have a truck that CAN tow a lot, but a receiver that can't handle it.

My Jeep came with a Class 3 hitch receiver. The Jeep website says only a Class 2 is available, but it's definitely a 3 (2" receiver).

One thing of note about the Aus/EU ratings is that they are for trailers with brakes. For non-braked trailers, the rating goes WAY down.
Ayup, you're right about that. I'd forgotten that point.

On the 2020 JLUR, I believe with the over-torqueing of the WDH, the receiver actually moved upwards. The top of the 2" square was resting on the plastic bumper. I loosened the 4 bolts, jumped on the torsion bars and retightened the bolts. It held up a lot better than that afterwards, but on the 2021 I got under and tightened them down the first night we had it.

Not sure if they were under-torqued from the factory, or if I then over-torqued them, but I got no less than 1/4 turn on each bolt, up to about one full turn.

Tulmaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee
Hello All, Just wanted to make a short comment. My 2005 Liberty diesel had an official tow rating of 5,000 lbs. My 2015 Grand Cherokee diesel 6,000 lbs. I read an article where the designer of the jeep wrangler diesel for Chrysler stated that the diesel version would have a tow rating of 5,800 lbs. I did not save that article so now I am looking for it again. My point is that official tow ratings are still very arbitrary and have little to do with real life and added after market equipment. Example: The 2022 Ranger pu with 4 cyl has a tow rating of 2-3,000 lbs (refers to a bumper connection), but wham add a factory class III hitch and you get a tow rating of 7,000.

Sponsored

Crowbar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLR, 20JTR
Bit of my perspective.

I've got a 23' Wellcraft Excel that I tow with my JLUD. The trailer/boat weighs 5000lbs. It has trailer brakes.

According to US standards, I'm over my tow rating. However, looking at SAE J2807 (the tow rating standard in the US), here are the criteria:
Performance AttributePerformance MetricRequirementApplicable?
Level Road Acceleration0-60 mph30.0 seconds single-rear-wheel/35.0 seconds dual-rear-wheelX
Level Road Acceleration40-60 mph18.0 seconds single-rear-wheel/21.0 seconds dual-rear-wheelX
Launch on Grade12% grade, forward directionFive launches to 5.0 meters (16 feet) in 5 minutes
Launch on Grade12% grade, reverse directionFive launches to 5.0 meters (16 feet) in 5 minutes
Highway GradeabilityMinimum speed on grade (Davis Dam)40 mph single-rear-wheel/35 mph dual-rear-wheel
Highway GradeabilityDrivetrain system performanceNo component failures, no diagnostic codes that alert the operator, no customer warningsX
Highway GradeabilityCooling system performanceNo component failures, no diagnostic codes that alert the operator to take service or driving action, no customer warnings, no fluid lossX
Tow vehicle understeerUndersteer at lateral acceleration ≤0.3 g at 100% FALR<0 degree/gX
Tow vehicle understeerUndersteer at lateral acceleration ≤0.4 g at 50% FALR0 degree/gX
Tow vehicle understeerUndersteer at lateral acceleration ≤0.4 g for weight carrying TWR (0% FALR) and for fifth-wheel and/or gooseneck TWR0 degree/g
Trailer Sway ResponseTrailer sway damping ratio0.10 at 100 km/h (62.1 mph)X
Combination StabilityDeviation within laneRemain within a 3.5-meter-wide (11.5 feet) lane throughout stopX
Combination Stopping DistanceStopping distance 20-0 mph for TWR 3,000 pounds≤35 feet, except ≤45 feet at any TWR above the tow vehicle’s unbraked TWRX
Combination Stopping DistanceStopping distance 20-0 mph for TWR 3,000 pounds≤80 feetX
Park Brake PerformanceHold on grade12% grade at GCWR (upward and downward)

Now, look specifically at that righthand column. Those are the ones that are applicable to me. I live in SE Louisiana. The highest grade that I encounter is the Huey P. Long bridge, which has a 1.5* grade. So, all of those "12% grade" things simply never occur for me.

For the other criteria, I have performed each of those tests with my Jeep and boat. It passes just fine. In fact, it even did the braking tests WITHOUT the trailer brakes activated (I was curious to see how it did in case of a failure or if I was a dumbass and forgot to hook up the wiring).

Also, keep in mind that tow rating is NOT a legal concept. There is no law stating you, as a private vehicle (not for-hire or commercial) cannot exceed the tow rating of a vehicle. Of course, there is the concept of liability, which is a civil matter. No lawyer will tell you that you are definitely at fault or not in a case of comparable liability - anyone that says differently either a) isn't a lawyer or, b) hasn't gone through a civil liability trial.

Is towing above the rating more dangerous than under? Sure. You are moving more weight around. But, on that same token, driving is more dangerous than walking. And walking is more dangerous than staying in bed.

TLDR: our Jeeps do just fine towing up to 5500lbs, assuming you have proper weight distribution in your trailer and trailer brakes.
I'm assuming since you don't say you are using a weight distribution hitch that you are not using a weight distributing hitch?

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Our friends in Europe tow 5,000 with the 2 door. My hitch is rated for 4500 and I use it.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Gotta remember there are a lot of difference between European towing and here. It’s been a few years but I believe the “tow” speeds in Europe used to be something like 60km (45mph.). This is ‘Murica, we don’ need no slow towing, we tow at 75 or better. Things happen a lot more quickly and intensely at those speeds. You want a real treat? Go out to your travel trailer and check the “maximum speed” rating. Unless you have one specific Goodyear tire, those trailer tires ( and the tires of every one of those big 5th wheels passing you at 75+) are rated for 55MPH! I always do my best to stay well under “maximum” tow ratings for whatever I’m driving. Makes a lot more boring tow.
Sponsored