First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUD Hardtop, 2016 JK 2-door Ragtop
Occupation
Tired Again
Has anyone needed to plug in their Wrangler during a cold snap. Am experienced with powerstroke vehicles over the years and found them to be mostly agreeable without using the block heater. Below zero F was a definite block heater time.

Anyway, I am contemplating a 4xe or eco-diesel purchase and could use some real world reports of your cold weather requirements. The 4xe has extreme temperature requirements too.
Sponsored

SLK RCK

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I typically plug mine in if I plan to start it below freezing, but that being said, I've started it at near zero temps multiple times with no noticeable difference in noise or time.

OP
OP
CJ SCION

CJ SCION

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tired Again
This was after sitting for 3 Days in -40.

Should i have done this, Probably not. But it is what it is.
Holy mackerel! Yeah -40 is -40 no matter F or C. It did sound a bit rough but no doubt about it, it did take. Thanks for sharing the video.

OP
OP
CJ SCION

CJ SCION

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tired Again
I typically plug mine in if I plan to start it below freezing, but that being said, I've started it at near zero temps multiple times with no noticeable difference in noise or time.
Had one truck that required an overnight block heater at negative F temps. Another one only needed a few hours.

When using the block heater do you plug it in while the engine is hot from use or a cold block?

Sponsored

Horsemover

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / 1997 TJ 4.0
I haven’t plugged mine in. To be fair I haven’t plugged any of my diesels in since my 2004 6.0 Power Stroke and that was a rare occasion.

JNewton918

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Ecodiesel, 1987 Porsche 944 Turbo
I work up on the northern border of Maine and Canada and haven't plugged mine in yet. I will say that this season has been a mild one. There's been a few days where it was in the -20s but it remote started without issues.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
The issue isn’t starting in the cold so much as it is getting the coolant and oil up to temp if it’s below zero. I run a winter front/grille cover to address that. Only issue then is your ambient thermometer will be inaccurate, which will trick your climate control heater into under-heating your cabin unless you vent some cold air onto the radiator.

SLK RCK

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Had one truck that required an overnight block heater at negative F temps. Another one only needed a few hours.

When using the block heater do you plug it in while the engine is hot from use or a cold block?
Cold engine. I have a wifi plug for the extension cord, so I have it scheduled to turn it on 2hrs before I need to start it up.

Z06

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Wrangler JLU diesel
Occupation
Retired
If it’s below 20F I try to plug mine in a couple hrs prior to startup. Easier on the engine and the defrost works much quicker.

Last edited:

Sponsored

UTES

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Sahara, 2018 AMG GT, 2019 MB GLC
Occupation
Retired LEO
I've not plugged my Diesel in before starting. All I've noticed is it's noisier if we're below freezing.

Hunter

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Has anyone needed to plug in their Wrangler during a cold snap. Am experienced with powerstroke vehicles over the years and found them to be mostly agreeable without using the block heater. Below zero F was a definite block heater time.

Anyway, I am contemplating a 4xe or eco-diesel purchase and could use some real world reports of your cold weather requirements. The 4xe has extreme temperature requirements too.
This winter outside temps got down to -12 °F. My Ecodiesel is in the garage where it is about 35 °F. On my last trip of the day, when I get home, I plug in the engine block heater into a Wifi controlled outlet that turns on at 5:00 A.M. and off at 8:00 A.M. So when I start the Jeep in the morning, the coolant temperature is about 90 °F, and the engine oil temperature is about 60 °F. My Jeep loves me for this.

While using the heater is not necessary for me, it does start easy, and the block, coolant and oil is already somewhat warm. I think this is a good thing.

NOTE TO SELF: Remember to unplug Jeep BEFORE backing out.

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
This winter outside temps got down to -12 °F. My Ecodiesel is in the garage where it is about 35 °F. On my last trip of the day, when I get home, I plug in the engine block heater into a Wifi controlled outlet that turns on at 5:00 A.M. and off at 8:00 A.M. So when I start the Jeep in the morning, the coolant temperature is about 90 °F, and the engine oil temperature is about 60 °F. My Jeep loves me for this.

While using the heater is not necessary for me, it does start easy, and the block, coolant and oil is already somewhat warm. I think this is a good thing.

On my current, I used to loop the extension cord from the outlet to the plug around drivers side mirror so I would see it...NOT that I learned from experience :)

OP
OP
CJ SCION

CJ SCION

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tired Again
Mine will not arrive until this month. Had these at work and will try it next winter I suspect. I do not think it will harm anything (except my elec. bill) to keep her a bit warmer in the winter. NW Iowa here.

Jeep Wrangler JL ?4 Cold Climate Diesel Owners JPplu
This sounds like very good idea that I wasn't aware, thanks for sharing.

Another very good idea, thanks for sharing.

On my current, I used to loop the extension cord from the outlet to the plug around drivers side mirror so I would see it...NOT that I learned from experience :)
And a third very good idea, thanks for sharing.

Thinking to piggyback all three suggestions for the win. On my diesel trucks the outdoor receptacle was right there by the driver door so didn't have issues with driving off plugged in. I can easily run the extension over the rear view mirror and have it plugged into the piggybacked temp and time controlled receptacle, way cool.

I have a JK with block heater, never used, and the cord is on the driver side of the 3.6 motor. Which side is the JL 3.0 block heater cord located?
Sponsored