Sponsored

4.88 regear break in, can I do it in two days? Need the Jeep for a work trip this Sunday.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Alright, weird situation, and I know it's probably a bit crazy. My JLR is coming back from 4.88 regear this afternoon and I've got work in the Vegas area I need to drive to on Sunday from the Los Angeles area (~220 miles or so). I understand I need to take it easy for 500 miles and not do any constant speed highway driving - the shop was kind of put off by the idea that I could get this break in process done locally over the next two days and come in for the 500 mile gear oil change on Saturday.

Is it feasible for me to spend a handful of hours tonight and tomorrow doing stop and go driving, giving the gears ideal conditions with periodic cooldown and all that and be ready for the 500 mile gear oil swap at the shop on Saturday, and then turn around and drive it to Vegas after that? Am I crazy, or does this seem doable if I've got the time to do it over the next couple days?
Sponsored

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL 2Dr Willys, '16 Ram 2500, '69 Dodge Polara
I'm surprised the shop would be put off about that. At the end of the day it depends how much you want to follow best practice recommendations to the T though.

Personally, I would get a few cycles of city driving in letting them warm up and cool in the next couple days. Then, if I had to make a Vegas run I just wouldn't use cruise control. You can still vary your speed on the freeway. Id get my fluid changed when I get back.... Wouldn't think twice about it.

Remember too, unless you have the 4wd auto T-case with no FAD; those front gears aren't going to be spinning at all. Only your rear gears will be broken in.

OP
OP
jessedacri

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I'm surprised the shop would be put off about that. At the end of the day it depends how much you want to follow best practice recommendations to the T though.

Personally, I would get a few cycles of city driving in letting them warm up and cool in the next couple days. Then, if I had to make a Vegas run I just wouldn't use cruise control. You can still vary your speed on the freeway. Id get my fluid changed when I get back.... Wouldn't think twice about it.

Remember too, unless you have the 4wd auto T-case with no FAD; those front gears aren't going to be spinning at all. Only your rear gears will be broken in.

They said in order to retain the ring and pinion warranty they'd need to know I was breaking in to their spec and not doing any long sustained trips on it until I hit 500mi. The long trips thing I understand and some may vary on their recommendations during this period. I guess it comes down to can I physically fit 500 miles of city style driving in - with time for cooldowns included - done in ~8-9 hours behind the wheel before I leave for Vegas. Grueling but I've been without my jeep for 3 weeks (and it was out of commission for a few weeks prior to that), I'm kind of willing to get it done for the sake of having my rig with me for this trip and being done with this (and not having to come out of pocket for a rental car).

As for the front axle, it's a brand new Spicer Ultimate D44 that came 4.88 - so no FAD in my setup. This whole regear was brought on by the fact that I bent my stock D44 at the FAD and didn't want to buy a replacement axle with another FAD unit.

Last edited:

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Alright, weird situation, and I know it's probably a bit crazy. My JLR is coming back from 4.88 regear this afternoon and I've got work in the Vegas area I need to drive to on Sunday from the Los Angeles area (~220 miles or so). I understand I need to take it easy for 500 miles and not do any constant speed highway driving - the shop was kind of put off by the idea that I could get this break in process done locally over the next two days and come in for the 500 mile gear oil change on Saturday.

Is it feasible for me to spend a handful of hours tonight and tomorrow doing stop and go driving, giving the gears ideal conditions with periodic cooldown and all that and be ready for the 500 mile gear oil swap at the shop on Saturday, and then turn around and drive it to Vegas after that? Am I crazy, or does this seem doable if I've got the time to do it over the next couple days?
Do the 3-4 heat cycles and you will be fine. The cool down period is most important. After the heat cycles, drive anywhere you want to.

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL 2Dr Willys, '16 Ram 2500, '69 Dodge Polara
Nice front axle! :like:

Are they going to honor the warranty and agree it was properly broken in even if you put the 500 miles on in two days? It's definitely doable, but they could just as easily say we don't believe you followed proper procedures based on the time/milage....

I wouldn't expect properly installed gears to have any warranty issues no matter how you break them in. Id only expect issues from abuse....

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
They said in order to retain the ring and pinion warranty they'd need to know I was breaking in to their spec and not doing any long sustained trips on it until I hit 500mi. The shop is Brothers 4x4. The long trips thing I understand and some may vary on their recommendations during this period. I guess it comes down to can I physically fit 500 miles of city style driving in - with time for cooldowns included - done in ~8-9 hours behind the wheel before I leave for Vegas. Grueling but I've been without my jeep for 3 weeks (and it was out of commission for a few weeks prior to that), I'm kind of willing to get it done for the sake of having my rig with me for this trip and being done with this (and not having to come out of pocket for a rental car).

As for the front axle, it's a brand new Spicer Ultimate D44 that came 4.88 - so no FAD in my setup. This whole regear was brought on by the fact that I bent my stock D44 at the FAD and didn't want to buy a replacement axle with another FAD unit.
We need to hear that story, and see pics please. Everyone loves a good "i broke it" story.
Sponsored