Engmoreau

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLRU
Hi All,

I’m building my future state Jeep and as I read the threads here seems liked you need to bump to 4.88 gears to have a “oem stock” feel with 37s. I live in Florida and mostly drive around 70-80mph on my 2.0l JLUR. So I want to keep the oem feel but I’m very concern about the MPG and overall feel.

Anyone out there running this combo? Please share your feedback, and what kind of fuel you use.

Gears:
Tire size:
Engine:
Trans:
Fuel octane:
MPG:
Mostly city or highway?
Sponsored

IdahoSurveyor

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door 1985 Chevy M1028
Hi All,

I’m building my future state Jeep and as I read the threads here seems liked you need to bump to 4.88 gears to have a “oem stock” feel with 37s. I live in Florida and mostly drive around 70-80mph on my 2.0l JLUR. So I want to keep the oem feel but I’m very concern about the MPG and overall feel.

Anyone out there running this combo? Please share your feedback, and what kind of fuel you use.

Gears:
Tire size:
Engine:
Trans:
Fuel octane:
MPG:
Mostly city or highway?

Hello Armando,

I do not have the best answer to your question, but my experience should give you some insight.

I have a 2019 Rubicon 2 door with the 2.0L turbo/8-speed auto/4.88 gears and 400 miles on the odometer so it is not truly broke in. I have installed a Dynatrac Endurosport 2” lift with Teraflex .50” spacers, 20” x 9” Monster Energy wheels with Kanati Trail hog 37” x 12.5” x 20” E rated tires set at 32psi. I have about 290 lbs of bumper, winch and step sliders added to the Wrangler. The wheels and tires weigh 118 lbs each. I will be adding a tire carrier and rear bumper sometime in the near future.

I took my Wrangler out on the freeway this morning to check the speedometer and get the fuel economy from the factory computer. The speedometer was spot on with my GPS at 80 miles and hour and this was set using my Tazer Mini.

At 80 mph 14/15 mpg at 2500 rpms

At 75 mph 16/17 mpg at 2300 rpms

At 70 mph 18/19 mpg at 2100 rpms

At 65 mph 20/21 mpg

And on the way home on a county road I was getting 29/30 mpg at 48 mph. I am at 4700 feet in elevation and I use 91 octane ethanol free gasoline. It is 35°, sunny and no wind. My average mpg since new has been around 17 mpg with 70 % city driving. I do anticipate some improvement in mileage once the warm weather comes and I get a few thousand miles on the Jeep.

The ride and drive and steering are excellent and I could easily drive across country in my Wrangler. In my opinion the ride is better and more controlled than stock and I am very happy with Dynatrac suspension.

Jeep11.jpg

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Hello Armando,

I do not have the best answer to your question, but my experience should give you some insight.

I have a 2019 Rubicon 2 door with the 2.0L turbo/8-speed auto/4.88 gears and 400 miles on the odometer so it is not truly broke in. I have installed a Dynatrac Endurosport 2” lift with Teraflex .50” spacers, 20” x 9” Monster Energy wheels with Kanati Trail hog 37” x 12.5” x 20” E rated tires set at 32psi. I have about 290 lbs of bumper, winch and step sliders added to the Wrangler. The wheels and tires weigh 118 lbs each. I will be adding a tire carrier and rear bumper sometime in the near future.

I took my Wrangler out on the freeway this morning to check the speedometer and get the fuel economy from the factory computer. The speedometer was spot on with my GPS at 80 miles and hour and this was set using my Tazer Mini.

At 65 mph 20/21 mpg

And on the way home on a county road I was getting 29/30 mpg at 48 mph. I am at 4700 feet in elevation and I use 91 octane ethanol free gasoline. It is 35°, sunny and no wind. My average mpg since new has been around 17 mpg with 70 % city driving. I do anticipate some improvement in mileage once the warm weather comes and I get a few thousand miles on the Jeep.

The ride and drive and steering are excellent and I could easily drive across country in my Wrangler. In my opinion the ride is better and more controlled than stock and I am very happy with Dynatrac suspension.

Jeep11.jpg
Solid info...thanks for sharing!

OP
OP

Engmoreau

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLRU
Hello Armando,

At 65 mph 20/21 mpg

Jeep11.jpg

Thanks for the report. First your unit looks amazing, congrats on the acquisition. Your feedback is highly valuable for everyone in this community researching prior to invest.

The rpm readings are almost as stock if not the same. So the 37” and 4.88 on a 2.0l is a great combo based on your 400miles.

Could you report back on certain mileage milestones? 2k and 4k just to get a feeling of how those gears are behaving after the intial wear sets in. Also, on your first off roading on this unit.

Looking forward to hear back!

Enjoy your build.

OP
OP

Engmoreau

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLRU
Hello Armando,

At 65 mph 20/21 mpg

Jeep11.jpg
Hi

Could you report on mpg and overall ride quality after a couple of months from your first report?

Thanks

Sponsored

IdahoSurveyor

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi

Could you report on mpg and overall ride quality after a couple of months from your first report?

Thanks
Well, I just turned over 950 miles on the odometer and am averaging 18.6 mpg. This has all been city driving since the gear change and it keeps increasing as things are breaking in. I changed the gear oil at 900 miles and everything is working great. I am very happy with the Dynatrac lift, it rides and performs better than the stock suspension. This is not my primary vehicle and I have a lot of projects going on around the property so I have not had a chance to put many miles on it yet. I hope change that in a few weeks with drive to the top of the big Southern Butte, it rises 2500 feet above the desert plain in about 3.5 miles. No regrets whatsoever with my modifications.

OP
OP

Engmoreau

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLRU
Well, I just turned over 950 miles on the odometer and am averaging 18.6 mpg. This has all been city driving since the gear change and it keeps increasing as things are breaking in. I changed the gear oil at 900 miles and everything is working great. I am very happy with the Dynatrac lift, it rides and performs better than the stock suspension. This is not my primary vehicle and I have a lot of projects going on around the property so I have not had a chance to put many miles on it yet. I hope change that in a few weeks with drive to the top of the big Southern Butte, it rises 2500 feet above the desert plain in about 3.5 miles. No regrets whatsoever with my modifications.

Sounds like you are enjoying your weekend Jeep. Thanks for the report. Enjoy the trip and don’t forget to report back on how the ride was!

I’m looking at the Metalcloak game changer and regear in 2020.

new2rocks

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito!
Here’s my current setup on a ‘19 JLUR 2.0T:
Gears: 4.88
Tire size: 37” Ridge Grapplers
Lift: 2.5” Rock Krawler
Engine: 2.0T with eTorque
Trans: 8A
Fuel octane: 93
MPG: 18-20 in mixed driving, 17-17.5 in highway driving at 70-72 mph

I have about 2 weeks and almost 1000 miles since re-gearing with 4.88s. I previously did about 10k with everything stock and then about 3k with the lift, 37s and 4.10s before re-gearing. I was on the fence about re-gearing but am really glad I did it and really glad I chose 4.88s.

I am seeing 18.5-19.5 in mixed suburban/highway driving since the re-gear compared to 20-22 when everything was stock and 18-19 mpg with the lift, 37s and 4.10s. Pure highway driving at 70ish brings mpg down in the 17-17.5 range and seems about the same before and after the re-gear. Throttle response with the 4.88s and 37s feels very similar to the all stock setup and much better than 4.10s with the 37s. I did a bit of highway towing yesterday (2500-ish lbs), and it did great. Throttle response was good. I also took it wheeling last week and came away very impressed. Overall, I’m very happy with the setup.

OP
OP

Engmoreau

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLRU
Hello Armando,

At 65 mph 20/21 mpg

Jeep11.jpg

hey I hope you have being enjoying your Jeep all this time. Could you report back on how the ride is being and the 4.88 regearing mpg and performance overall?

OP
OP

Engmoreau

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLRU
Here’s my current setup on a ‘19 JLUR 2.0T:
Gears: 4.88
Tire size: 37” Ridge Grapplers
Lift: 2.5” Rock Krawler
Engine: 2.0T with eTorque
Trans: 8A
Fuel octane: 93
MPG: 18-20 in mixed driving, 17-17.5 in highway driving at 70-72 mph

I have about 2 weeks and almost 1000 miles since re-gearing with 4.88s. I previously did about 10k with everything stock and then about 3k with the lift, 37s and 4.10s before re-gearing. I was on the fence about re-gearing but am really glad I did it and really glad I chose 4.88s.

I am seeing 18.5-19.5 in mixed suburban/highway driving since the re-gear compared to 20-22 when everything was stock and 18-19 mpg with the lift, 37s and 4.10s. Pure highway driving at 70ish brings mpg down in the 17-17.5 range and seems about the same before and after the re-gear. Throttle response with the 4.88s and 37s feels very similar to the all stock setup and much better than 4.10s with the 37s. I did a bit of highway towing yesterday (2500-ish lbs), and it did great. Throttle response was good. I also took it wheeling last week and came away very impressed. Overall, I’m very happy with the setup.
Thanks. Appreciate the detailed information

Sponsored

IdahoSurveyor

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hey I hope you have being enjoying your Jeep all this time. Could you report back on how the ride is being and the 4.88 regearing mpg and performance overall?
Hello Armando,

Well, I have had the Wrangler for over a year now and I have just about at 3K miles on it, time for my first oil change. I have a company vehicle so my Wrangler does not get driven daily. For me the ride and drive have been way above expectation and I have had zero issues with her.

I believe I hit the sweet spot for my driving style with the 4:88 gearing. I normally drive around 70 mph on the interstate, going 80 mph is very easy and comfortable but there is a distinct mileage penalty at that speed. If I were using my Wrangler for commuting and driving the interstate daily, I would probably give the stock gearing a go and see if I could live with low speed driving. The turbo and 8 speed transmission are very accommodating and keep the power very fluid for all kinds of driving.

Anyways, I pull my two 4 wheelers (around 1600 lbs. with trailer) around with ease at 70 mph which was one of my goals. I have found that running 28 psi in my E rated tires is the best balance between ride, gas mileage and traction on the winter roads. At this point, I am averaging 17 mpg in the winter and 19 mpg in the summer. I still run non-ethanol premium fuel exclusively.

I am very happy with the modifications I have done and in hind site would do it again the same way if I were to do it again.

~Rob

OP
OP

Engmoreau

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLRU
Hello Armando,

Well, I have had the Wrangler for over a year now and I have just about at 3K miles on it, time for my first oil change. I have a company vehicle so my Wrangler does not get driven daily. For me the ride and drive have been way above expectation and I have had zero issues with her.

I believe I hit the sweet spot for my driving style with the 4:88 gearing. I normally drive around 70 mph on the interstate, going 80 mph is very easy and comfortable but there is a distinct mileage penalty at that speed. If I were using my Wrangler for commuting and driving the interstate daily, I would probably give the stock gearing a go and see if I could live with low speed driving. The turbo and 8 speed transmission are very accommodating and keep the power very fluid for all kinds of driving.

Anyways, I pull my two 4 wheelers (around 1600 lbs. with trailer) around with ease at 70 mph which was one of my goals. I have found that running 28 psi in my E rated tires is the best balance between ride, gas mileage and traction on the winter roads. At this point, I am averaging 17 mpg in the winter and 19 mpg in the summer. I still run non-ethanol premium fuel exclusively.

I am very happy with the modifications I have done and in hind site would do it again the same way if I were to do it again.

~Rob

Thanks!

wow 3k miles, don’t ever sell that Jeep it will hold a lot of value. I’m glad this combination is working perfectly for you. I’m looking into giving it a shot in 2021.

IdahoSurveyor

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks!

wow 3k miles, don’t ever sell that Jeep it will hold a lot of value. I’m glad this combination is working perfectly for you. I’m looking into giving it a shot in 2021.
It's not as if I don't drive, I put 36K+/- a year on the company truck and my wife and I are fortunate enough to have 4 personal vehicles between us. I plan on selling at least one of them before the year is out and that will put me in the Wrangler a lot more often...

ClevelandWhat

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL 4.88 on 37s 2.0l -MPG? 271EA59F-D10C-4EB6-ABE9-32C05915984B

2.0t 8speed.
37” Goodyear mtr Kevlar tires
2.5” metalcloak game changer lift
17” venomrex vr501 rims
Rockslide engineering stepsliders
American adventure labs fender chop kit

drove it for 5k miles stock in northeast Ohio averaged about 18-20mpg. Put the lift and tires on in March at 5k miles with no rear tire and added the rockslide stepsliders and am averaging 15-17mpg. There are no flat roads around here but if it were flat the numbers would be + 1-3mpg. I’m currently at about 8500 miles and have an appointment to regear next month to 4.88. I don’t feel like there’s really a need for it, there’s still plenty of power but you can definitely feel it’s slower off the line than factory and I only see 8th gear on flat grounds. I’m regearing to get back 8th gear and because I want to put it back in the factory specs as I plan on owning this thing forever. I’m no mechanic and actually the least mechanically able person so it may be overkill but it’s peace of mind for me
Sponsored