Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cultural Heritage Researcher
Watching this thread as someone who ordered 4.88s with manual, and plans to immediately buy 35s.

(Though admittedly it is a less superior 4 door.....😔)
Sponsored

OP
OP
TriumphJeepster

TriumphJeepster

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Hopefully
Watching this thread as someone who ordered 4.88s with manual, and plans to immediately buy 35s.

(Though admittedly it is a less superior 4 door.....😔)
Hang your head high!

You got Earl in the best interior color and picked the best factory option!

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cultural Heritage Researcher
Hang your head high!

You got Earl in the best interior color and picked the best factory option!
I noticed this thread was in the 2 door specific part of the forum before I posted!

I am pretty stoked about getting Earl, love the tan seats, but I do wish there was less black on the dash trim (was never a big fan of the red tbh).

OP
OP
TriumphJeepster

TriumphJeepster

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Hopefully
I noticed this thread was in the 2 door specific part of the forum before I posted!

I am pretty stoked about getting Earl, love the tan seats, but I do wish there was less black on the dash trim (was never a big fan of the red tbh).
I'll tell you I was really deadset on swapping the grey/silver dash with leather but there really is no need. Breaks it up nicely on my gobi/tan interior. You picked the combo I would have totally gone with if there was no Gobi.

Mest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR, 2010 JKUR
I’m about 300 miles into my new 3.6 MT 4.88. I also went with the 4 door & am currently still on the stock 33s. The plan was to go to 35s right away for daily or winter driving with the ability to swap in some 37s for summer or any adventures.

I can 100% agree with everything posted here! I can’t get over how “fun” the jeep absolutely rips around with the stock 33s… it’s has delayed my purchase of those 35s but I still plan to pick some up with hopefully some upcoming Black Friday sales.

My only real irritation is first gear…I really wish jeep had put in a true “crawler” and moved first and second both higher to make 1-4 feel more functional. I’m pretty much starting in second in all situations that are flat, downhill or rolling stops.

I have also noticed that both 1st & 2nd feel a bit tough to shift into and out of at times. it takes a bit of extra force to push into or out of these two while 3-6 are smoother as silk….not sure if this is due to the gearing or not & would love to hear if others have experienced 1&2 feeling “stiff” also. If I sit in the driveway and shift into and out of 2nd gear a few times with the clutch in, it does becomes as smooth as the others gears. However, while driving it can really become annoying at times. If I’ve been cruising around in a higher gear and go down to 2 or 1 and I don’t apply enough force into the shift, it throws me off a bit.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
Here are my cliff notes:

1. ordered 2021 JLUR 6-speed.
2. on stock 33s drove just fine but lacked pepp in 5th and 6th. Offroading in 1st and 4 low, was like a tractor, could idle over anything I had clearance for
3. Added 315/70/17 ko2s, AEV front and rear bumpers....still on stock 4.10s. Offroading still great though I had to give a bit of throttle in 1st and 4low over certain obstacles. highway and daily driving in 2 hi definitely affected
4. Added 4.88 gears. amazing how much better. no more slipping first in 2hi and 6th gear usable again
5. Added Centerforce II clutch. OMG, what N amazing add on. so much better then stock ckutch...linear feel, you know when it grabs and heavier flywheel makes it feel like it has 50lbs more torque off idle

So in short, for me subjectively, small 35s with 4.88s AND Centerforce II clutch kit os the ideal setup for daily driving with offroading and adventure trails on the weekends

Mest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR, 2010 JKUR
Here are my cliff notes:

1. ordered 2021 JLUR 6-speed.
2. on stock 33s drove just fine but lacked pepp in 5th and 6th. Offroading in 1st and 4 low, was like a tractor, could idle over anything I had clearance for
3. Added 315/70/17 ko2s, AEV front and rear bumpers....still on stock 4.10s. Offroading still great though I had to give a bit of throttle in 1st and 4low over certain obstacles. highway and daily driving in 2 hi definitely affected
4. Added 4.88 gears. amazing how much better. no more slipping first in 2hi and 6th gear usable again
5. Added Centerforce II clutch. OMG, what N amazing add on. so much better then stock ckutch...linear feel, you know when it grabs and heavier flywheel makes it feel like it has 50lbs more torque off idle

So in short, for me subjectively, small 35s with 4.88s AND Centerforce II clutch kit os the ideal setup for daily driving with offroading and adventure trails on the weekends
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to changing to the Centerforce clutch myself when the time comes. I keep hearing good things!

Blazing Saddles

First Name
Not Sure
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jeep
Occupation
Staring at this forum
My only real irritation is first gear…I really wish jeep had put in a true “crawler” and moved first and second both higher to make 1-4 feel more functional...
I am now about 4500 miles, or so, 1800 of that being one long trip over 2 days. First has started to loosen up some, so to speak. I find myself starting in first more often and not just using it to go from a start uphill. Although I am not an erudite, in that I just read the dash for MPG, my trip also showed about 22-23 MPG while averaging 70MPH for most of that. Once I got into the Midwest, the gas MPG dropped to 19 with the same speeds, but no hills. All in all, I am still very happy with the stock tires and the 4.88s. Let it break in some and give us your thoughts.

Mest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR, 2010 JKUR
I am now about 4500 miles, or so, 1800 of that being one long trip over 2 days. First has started to loosen up some, so to speak. I find myself starting in first more often and not just using it to go from a start uphill. Although I am not an erudite, in that I just read the dash for MPG, my trip also showed about 22-23 MPG while averaging 70MPH for most of that. Once I got into the Midwest, the gas MPG dropped to 19 with the same speeds, but no hills. All in all, I am still very happy with the stock tires and the 4.88s. Let it break in some and give us your thoughts.
The wide range of MPG I’m hearing about is fascinating! I’ve been able to manage mid 16ish MPG as a total average since picking it up. Which is roughly 50-50 city & highway driving on mostly flat surfaces here on the east coast with low elevation. If I check for just highway, the average gets closer to 18 MPG.

Maybe things will change after it “breaks in” a bit more!

Thanks

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Let's just break this whole gearing thing down...

With 4.88's vs 4.10s, 35's and at 60 MPH, you will be running 2361 RPM's. If you tires measure 34.5", then you will be at 2395. If your tires measure 34.25, then you will be at 2412

A 20% increase at the wheels in normal driving.. think about that.. 20% isn't much but when it's multiplied by the 4:1 transfer case it's HUGE.

Now you go to 5.13's another 5% and 5.38s another 5%

that fact that Jeep even offers a 4.88 now is NO BRAINER

Sponsored

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Anyone rocking the 4.88's manual with 33's?

Ordered my Gobi 2 dr Rubi with them knowing I would go with at least 35's sooner than later, just wondering if anyone has rocked the stock 33's for a bit who can give real world feedback. Everyone says the 4.11's are fine, my last Jeep was a JK with 3.73's and 33's but I know it's not a fair comparison between models.
Been driving 4:88s for years and years. Stick and auto (on my JL). I would not have done the auto if it was not an 8-speed.

4:88 gives you a lot of room to play with tire height. I have run 33, 35, and 37 with them, and depending on what you do they can all be a good pick.

33s: local in town driving, quick accel, stop light to stop light heavy traffic.

35s: Great all around if you are off-road occasionally, in the rocks, or live in the burbs. of town, drive a freeway to work, good size for all-around driving.

37s: You chase a lot of rocks and hit Moab regularly, make trips halfway across the US to the wheel in Death Valley or Johnson Valley, etc. Pulls well on the highway, with some gas mileage penalty, but is not a killer and when you get to the rocks it brings a smile.

Been driving sticks since the early 60s, learned on a Ford 9N tractor. On my first Jeep with an auto, but the 8 sp auto is a great choice due to the gear spread. If I was still hitting Moab 2 x a year and all over the trails in Tx to Cali, wheeling 100% of the time I would do stick...due to water ingestion and heat buildup on autos. Water in a stick is not big deal, drain, fill and drive. I was an extreme off-road rock guy and heat can build up fast. My running buddy replaced his auto trans 3 x and I never had an issue and put 88k miles on that trans and clutch.

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
I’be got one on order since October, should be picking it up within the next two weeks. It’s good to hear someone has actually taken delivery of one with 4.88s. I was starting to worry. I plan on running it stock till I’ve at lest worn out the factory rubber. I’ll probably move up to 35s. But Maybe not, I’ve got an 08 SRT challenger to get somewhere fast in. Seems like it’s not a popular option though.
I ordered my 2023 Rubicon with the 4:88s and the auto.

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT
Which engine?
The MT is only offered with the 3.6L

edit: I just realized that post was like a year ago and you've probably already gotten this response. Sorry! Cheers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sport
Just took delivery of a manual JLR with 4.88s.

It's a little idiosyncratic, but I love it.

First is so short that you don't need to apply throttle when engaging it in 2-Hi. In a lot of situations you can start in second without excessively riding the clutch. I still only start in second occasionally though.

The large ratio difference between first and second makes it a little jerky when shifting. It's something you'll have to learn/ get used to. When you match revs well, it's smooth.

On the OEM 33s the vehicle is an absolute BULLDOZER in 4-low. On flat ground, you can idle against the brake, with the brake pushed to the floor, and it will not stall. You can two-foot drive it on obstacles with the throttle and the brake, or with brake and a little clutch modulation. It simply will not stall on any trail with a rating below 'difficult'.

I'm going to 35s soon, and while I think 35s are probably better suited to 'normal' street driving with this setup, I'm so impressed with how the manual, 33s, 4.88 combo drives off-road.

ETA: These observations are all near sea level. Hope this helps.
I plan to upgrade stock tires on my 3.6 with 6MT, up to 285/75/17 or 35x10.5x17 and considering either 4.56 or 4.88 (up from 3.45). I appreciate your perspective from sea level, I have seen most feedback from those who drive in mountain elevations. Do you hit freeway speeds of 80-85MPH and are RPM's reasonable or is it unpleasant over 70-75 MPH? Thanks!

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
This is VERY subjective, so you are likely to get some varied opinions. This is mine and remember, I have NOT driven 4.88's, at all, so what I say about them is based on what I have experienced in 12k miles on 4.56 gears. When going on off-road expeditions, they usually involve long highway drives to/from. I've done Moab and back twice with 35's. Once with 4.10 gears and once with 4.56. That's 22 or so hours each way. I've done many other trips with both, including most recently a 3k trip to Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine. So I've got a pretty good feel for both gear sets.

4.56 gears with 35's get me to 2450 rpm at 75mph in 6th gear. I can get into 6th at 55 and it pulls the gear with no problem. I can pass at will on the highway without downshifting and can pull hills with no problem. That is 100% the only reason I did the swap. In all other gears and scenarios, 4.10's were just fine. It was 6th gear that bothered me. Really 5th. I didn't like driving on the highway in 5th. It bothered me that my JK with the old 3.8/4.10 axle ratio and 33's pulled its 6th gear better than my JL. That 3.8 is comparatively a dog.

I would recommend it if you think you'll go to 37's. But with 33's it would be way too short, IMO, particularly in 1st gear. But even 6th would be short. With 37's it'd be absolutly perfect. It'd be tolerable with 35's but probably not so much for me. Right now, with my setup, I would not want it with 35's. But everyone is different. I know of guys here on the forum that love 4.88's with 35's. But IIRC, some of those guys live in mountainous areas. There are even a few who have 5.13 (or whatever the next ratio is) and 37's who love them. Maybe even 1 or 2 running 35's but that's just waaay too short for me. 1st gear would be useless on the road with that setup, IMO.

I can tell you that with 4.10 gears I was fine with everything except 6th. First gear was perfectly fine. Off road in low range I had zero issues or desire for a change. It really boiled down to the usability of 6th. I had 315 KO2's which were about 34.4" in actual diameter. The General Grabber X3 mud tires I've got now (35x12.5x17) are about 34.7". That was just enough to tip the scales. I would not have desired the change if I'd not gone with the Generals. With them I could run 6th in a headwind, but the engine had to work to where my mileage was worse than in 5th. Anything other than the most mild hill required a downshift and passing was out of the question. Now, 6th is a different animal and it didn't make 1st too short. 1st still feels just right. In fact, it really feels about the same. But I really wouldn't want more rpm at 75mph. IT'd be perfect if it were more like 2300 or 2350, but 2475 works. I've no doubt it woudl pull 37's, but I'd still recommend 4.88 if you go with them.

I hope this helps. It really does boild down to personal preference. It would not have been worth the approximately $2 grand with the KO2's. Nice, but not quite worth that money. With the X3's, yes, it was worth it.

Btw, I went with Dana/Spicer gears and install kits. The guy that did the install said it was all perfect. It was his 1st JL gear swap. Make sure you get someone who really knows what they are doing, if not doing it yourself. I've read of some nightmares out there, particularly with gear sets other than Dana or Yukon. Those seem to be the top of the crop. My guy probably has done 50 JK's and those two brands are by far his choice.

Let us know how what you decide. I'm sure others with different experiences will chime in, too. One thing I know for sure is that you'll agonize over the decision but will likely wind up happy either way. @chevymitchell gave me wise advise in saying not to drive myself nuts but to weigh out what I was really looking for and make a decision and don't look back. I knew 100% for sure I'll never go with 37's.

I used an internet gearing/tire size calculator that helped and wound up very close to reality. I think it predicted closer to 2375 or 2400 rpm when I wound up with 2475 at 75mph. So it was very close. I went out and drove around at 2400 to see what the engine sounded like, as well. Again, it wasn't precise, but gave me at least a ballpark feel, with less wind noise/resistence, of course.
The new trans is a double overdrive though, 5th is the JKs 6th. Being able to "pass at will" in 6th defeats the purpose of the 2 overdrives in my opinion. If people drove the thing as intended, only using the 2nd overdrive for light loads not pulling hills and passing they wouldn't be pushing for lower gears than the JK. Thanks to the super tall 2nd overdrive you can get away with gearing lower than necessary, which is why this is a never ending debate.
Sponsored