4.56 vs 4.10 35" Tires JL Sport

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
New here to this forum. Howdy from Utah. I am coming from a Sport JK I built, now have an '18 JL and started my build last week. I have the Sport with 3.45 gearing and the Dana 35/30 set up. I have a 2.5 RE lift on order, new shocks, and track bars. Buying the 315/70r17 BFG KO2's C Range tires. As most are aware there is nothing available for the D35/m200 in the way of lockers or LSD. I will be keeping it open at this time, not a big deal for me with the trails I run.

I had made up my mind on 4.56 Yukon's and in all likely hood will stick to that since a re-gear is approx $1800 total parts and labor. However another option would be to buy a Rubi axle for $2000 that has 4.10's in it and re-gear the front to 4.10. If I were to go that route will the 4.10's with 35's allow me to use 7th and 8th gear? Also is it true the Rubi axle is wider so that would look somewhat stupid having a wider axle in the rear.

One other thing, as far as a tuner goes, is the TrailCal a good one to reprogram the gearing ratio and tire size?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
New here to this forum. Howdy from Utah. I am coming from a Sport JK I built, now have an '18 JL and started my build last week. I have the Sport with 3.45 gearing and the Dana 35/30 set up. I have a 2.5 RE lift on order, new shocks, and track bars. Buying the 315/70r17 BFG KO2's C Range tires. As most are aware there is nothing available for the D35/m200 in the way of lockers or LSD. I will be keeping it open at this time, not a big deal for me with the trails I run.

I had made up my mind on 4.56 Yukon's and in all likely hood will stick to that since a re-gear is approx $1800 total parts and labor. However another option would be to buy a Rubi axle for $2000 that has 4.10's in it and re-gear the front to 4.10. If I were to go that route will the 4.10's with 35's allow me to use 7th and 8th gear? Also is it true the Rubi axle is wider so that would look somewhat stupid having a wider axle in the rear.

One other thing, as far as a tuner goes, is the TrailCal a good one to reprogram the gearing ratio and tire size?

Thanks!
First, arb makes air lockers for your axles

You’d have to or want to do all rubicon axles or no rubicon axles

I have a manual sport with 35s and 4.56 and its great. Not sure if you need regear with the auto tranny.

Gears do make a nice difference and helps alot offroad with big tires

OP
OP
Jeep’n Jay

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
First, arb makes air lockers for your axles

You’d have to or want to do all rubicon axles or no rubicon axles

I have a manual sport with 35s and 4.56 and its great. Not sure if you need regear with the auto tranny.

Gears do make a nice difference and helps alot offroad with big tires
Thanks, didn't realize ARB had lockers yet. As far as re-gearing, even with the auto I have read the 3.45 are too tall for 35's, I will feel more comfortable with 4.56's.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, didn't realize ARB had lockers yet. As far as re-gearing, even with the auto I have read the 3.45 are too tall for 35's, I will feel more comfortable with 4.56's.
4.56 with 35s and an auto puts you back to stock. Im dead even with a rubicon with 33s and 4.10 same rpm with same speed

OP
OP
Jeep’n Jay

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
4.56 with 35s and an auto puts you back to stock. Im dead even with a rubicon with 33s and 4.10 same rpm with same speed

That was my understanding as well. Think I will move forward with the re-gear. Lift, shocks, suspension all on order and should be here on Tuesday!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep’n Jay

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
One other question....I found Torq master makes a front lunchbox style locker for the D30 m186. I have never used this style locker, how to they hand in 2WD on the highway?

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
One other question....I found Torq master makes a front lunchbox style locker for the D30 m186. I have never used this style locker, how to they hand in 2WD on the highway?
I have that as well, i paired it with the one piece rcvs. Love the set up love the locker. Id prefer a selectable but wasnt needed for my set up. I only notice the locker when turning, gives a slight vibration and some noise. Other than that its invisible. The added traction and bonus it has given me off road is well worth the slight noise and vibration. I reccomend it

Punk'n2doorsport

First Name
Willian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL wrangler sport, 6spd manual, 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trucker
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone found anything for the Dana 30 up front I heard and Source multiple people saying about them JL m186 same gears as a JK Dana 30 so if truetrac makes a Dana 30 LSD you can do that
Sponsored