Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
I’m not sure what carrier you mean? I did get new diff covers when I regeared.
Sponsored

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
a new carrier for the ring gear. Like the on pictured here

Jeep Wrangler JL 4.56 regear done with 6 speed manual 6C8CF828-9EA9-4414-89F2-12ACC517ABDF
Ah, gotcha. To be honest. I’m not sure. I had a shop do the regear. They’re from Yukon gear and axle and came in a kit. Sorry I’m not more help!!

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
Got my appointment on Tuesday for the jeep to go in for 4.56 gears from my local shop. I should have it back by Thursday. I’ll post up here my thoughts after.

Sponsored

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
Quick review of the setup:
6 speed, 3.6l
Tire: 285/70r17
Stock rims
Rubicon suspension
Smittybilt winch, LOD front bumper, Roam rock rails.. lot of added weight.

These 4.56 gears are great. I’m only 40 miles into my break-in period so I’ve been going real easy on it. I will say the torque is great. The quicker response is real nice. I can’t wait to change out to 35’s as it should be the perfect setup. I would highly recommend this setup to anyone looking to go to 35’s and gain back the 6th gear.

I had Zeus Offroad in Burnsville, MN do my work. I would recommend them to anyone in the area. I went with Yukon gears.

Bloody Marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP 2 DR WILLYS 21, CHEVY TRAIL BOSS 19
So I'm getting ready to pick up a '21 Willys Sport 2 door manual 6 cyl. I'm going with a 2" Mopar lift & definitely want a set of 35s"
How much should I expect to pay for re-gearing & where to get that done the right way? Jeep dealer? Will that screw with my warranty? I really am set on the Willys Sport but want the 35s & also want the performance. Thanks for responses!!

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
So I'm getting ready to pick up a '21 Willys Sport 2 door manual 6 cyl. I'm going with a 2" Mopar lift & definitely want a set of 35s"
How much should I expect to pay for re-gearing & where to get that done the right way? Jeep dealer? Will that screw with my warranty? I really am set on the Willys Sport but want the 35s & also want the performance. Thanks for responses!!
you definitely don’t need a rubicon?

i would go to an aftermarket shop, the dealer will charge a lot and thats probably not something they specialize in.
warranty is a touchy subject.

im happy with my manual trans, 35s and regeared to 4.56. Going to add a rear ox locker soon and if i go to 37s ever I’ll upgrade to a front 44 of some sort

Bloody Marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP 2 DR WILLYS 21, CHEVY TRAIL BOSS 19
4.56 vs 4.88 then?
If I ever decide to go 37s can I assume either of these will be ok?

OP
OP
Jeepjunkie

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
4.56 vs 4.88 then?
If I ever decide to go 37s can I assume either of these will be ok?
I have 4.56s and 35” tires with my 6 speed. To be honest if I did it over I’d go 4.88s with the 35s, and would certainly go 4.88 or higher for 37s.
I had my 4.56s for a year with smaller 33”s and thought that combo was fantastic. Great gearing on the highway, reduced the wide spacing between some gears and fuel economy was not affected much compared to stock gearing and 33”s. Also the higher revs on the highway were not noticeable to me (soft top).

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
If I ever do it, 4.56 would be the way I go. It just isn't bad with 35's and 4.10 to pull the trigger on that kind of expense. Maybe if I lived closer to mountains I'd do it.

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
How much should I expect to pay for re-gearing & where to get that done the right way?
I would have it done by an offroad shop that is known for doing built up rigs. Checking with local clubs could help you figure out who meets that need. Every area is different on prices, but I’d expect somewhere between $2k to $3500 depending on gear brand and labor costs. My recent job just cost $2600. As someone who’s done their own gears before in the past (Put 4.88’s in my TJ) that money was well spent. Gears are a PAIN IN THE ASS which require special tools and a lot of time. I’ll do most things myself, but regear is not one.

Best of luck!

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
I have 4.56s and 35” tires with my 6 speed. To be honest if I did it over I’d go 4.88s with the 35s, and would certainly go 4.88 or higher for 37s.
I had my 4.56s for a year with smaller 33”s and thought that combo was fantastic. Great gearing on the highway, reduced the wide spacing between some gears and fuel economy was not affected much compared to stock gearing and 33”s. Also the higher revs on the highway were not noticeable to me (soft top).
Did you ever end up getting a 4:1 transfer case?

If so where did you find it..? I'm not getting one anytime soon, and im probably just terrible at google, but I couldn't even find where you'd buy one other than hoping to get one from a forum member, but I'm too scam-wary for that..

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
The cost of the regear is getting into axle swap territory. 2.6k for gears on the stock set vs 4k for front and rear mopar rubicon axles that come with 4:10s, lockers and is just a better built axle. Guess if you add the cost of the little harness to power the lockers and the new wider tierod it becomes 4.6k. But still seems a fair deal compared to just a gear swap to 4.56 on a m186 aka Dana 35/30 family.

OP
OP
Jeepjunkie

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Did you ever end up getting a 4:1 transfer case?

If so where did you find it..? I'm not getting one anytime soon, and im probably just terrible at google, but I couldn't even find where you'd buy one other than hoping to get one from a forum member, but I'm too scam-wary for that..
no, I never did get that 4:1 t-case. Work, covid, family, hell just laziness got in the way.
plus I bought a ‘04 TJR I have been into and may use to wheel.
I still love my JL though!
Sponsored