4.56 Gearing - Dealer Service ?

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
Does anyone know or speculate whether dealerships will eventually do 4.56 gear swaps for regular (non XR) 392s?
Sponsored

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
I wouldn't trust dealership techs to do an oil change or steering stabilizer swap properly. I certainly wouldn't allow them to do a gear swap on my Jeep.

Find a good independent shop IMHJO.

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
Would it still be covered by Mopar warranty if the dealer does it?

OP
OP
Bocephus

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
I wouldn't trust dealership techs to do an oil change or steering stabilizer swap properly. I certainly wouldn't allow them to do a gear swap on my Jeep.

Find a good independent shop.
I do a decent amount of business with an excellent shop. And I’ve done gear swaps with non-dealer shops, and had no problem. In this case, was thinking about trying to keep my warranty alive for a hot minute. I demolished my warranty on my last Jeep in every way possible, Magnuson-Moss act be damned. With the 392, I feel slightly more inclined to not do that.

I hear you on the dealer concerns. That’d be the gamble, maybe it’s stupid to consider.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bocephus

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Most dealerships have being doing gear swaps for years.
Dude you have the best profile pic in the history of forums. I didn’t know dealers did these, guess I was thinking that the 4.10 gearing (up until the XR) was the only gearing they’d give you for a Rubicon. I thought the XR might mean the availability of Mopar 4.56 gearing kit. What do I know.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I do a decent amount of business with an excellent shop. And I’ve done gear swaps with non-dealer shops, and had no problem. In this case, was thinking about trying to keep my warranty alive for a hot minute. I demolished my warranty on my last Jeep in every way possible, Magnuson-Moss act be damned. With the 392, I feel slightly more inclined to not do that.

I hear you on the dealer concerns. That’d be the gamble, maybe it’s stupid to consider.
The dealer, themselves, would have to offer the warranty on the swap. And...I suspect that they would, if you negotiate that up front. But, it would likely be 12 months, as opposed to your entire remaining warranty.

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
If they use Dana (OEM) gears yes. However, if you take it to another dealership for repairs, you most likely will get the take it back to the dealership that installed them run around.
Hmmmm now the real question is 4.88 or 5.13

OP
OP
Bocephus

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
I had 5.13 in a 6 speed JLUR, 37s. I thought It was a little too much. Kind of wished I had just gone 4.88…but tbh I’ve never experienced 4.88. 513 just kept me revving a little high, and my Jeep did a fair amount of daily driver duty. I could see 5.13 for trail use only. But the 392 produces so much torque…5.13 sounds overkill.

Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Dude you have the best profile pic in the history of forums. I didn’t know dealers did these, guess I was thinking that the 4.10 gearing (up until the XR) was the only gearing they’d give you for a Rubicon. I thought the XR might mean the availability of Mopar 4.56 gearing kit. What do I know.
Thanks! Love the Dukes of Hazard.

On the JK Jeep offered additional gear choices as "performance parts." Dana gears that they labled Mopar. Dealerships would sell and install them, sort of like the Ultimate Dana 60s, Mopar Lift, Mopar Fox steering stabilizer, etc.

OP
OP
Bocephus

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Thanks! Love the Dukes of Hazard.

On the JK Jeep offered additional gear choices as "performance parts." Dana gears that they labled Mopar. Dealerships would sell and install them, sort of like the Ultimate Dana 60s, Mopar Lift, Mopar Fox steering stabilizer, etc.
I appreciate all that info. Had no idea dealerships would put in Dana 60s and Dana gears.

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
I had 5.13 in a 6 speed JLUR, 37s. I thought It was a little too much. Kind of wished I had just gone 4.88…but tbh I’ve never experienced 4.88. 513 just kept me revving a little high, and my Jeep did a fair amount of daily driver duty. I could see 5.13 for trail use only. But the 392 produces so much torque…5.13 sounds overkill.
I have the v6 (no Etorque :) ) with the 8 speed auto. It’s a daily driver with highway duty at times. Currently on 315’s with the Mopar lift. But I may go to 37’s when these are done. I’m retired and although it is my daily, we do have two other vehicles we drive. From what I’ve read 5.13s wouldn’t raise the rpms too much in 8th gear compared to driving in 7th gear like I do now.