Sponsored

4:1 Rock-Trac Heavy-Duty Full-Time 4WD System Durable..?

euroamerica

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
As I'm getting ready to place an order for a 2021 Rubi fully optioned I came to a stop to research more on the 4:1 Rock-Trac Heavy-Duty Full-Time 4WD System to see if it was worth the extra US$ 695.00 and I discovered something very interesting and kind of disturbing at the same time..... Besides the features FCA advertises on that system in my opinion it also comes with a drawback on parts wear and tear / durability on off-road situations.
The attached images show a wrangler without this system and the other show one with it and my first concern is the rubber boot instead the more sturdy U Bolt /Spreaders which I believe will get damage by just grasping a sharp branch or rock while off-roading...!

So the question is if is worth it or not, would it make the new Rubicon less rugged...? thanks in advance for the comments...!
Jeep Wrangler JL 4:1 Rock-Trac Heavy-Duty Full-Time 4WD System Durable..? IMG_4059_Original.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL 4:1 Rock-Trac Heavy-Duty Full-Time 4WD System Durable..? 42ff54ce-0b61-42e5-97e2-1b306d256036.JPG
Sponsored

Vettethret

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Rubicon Diesel/2022 X3M Comp
I just moved to Eagle Idaho from So Cal. I literally couldn't find a Rubicon in Boise/Eagle with the Options I wanted (Not even close), so I flew back to Irvine and bought a 2021 Rubicon that has the feature. I figured since I now live in snow, it may not be a bad idea. I'm not crazy about the boot either, but when I put it in 4WD auto during normal driving, it seems to make the vehicle more planted. I have a 3.5" lift and 40 Mickey PRO XS inbound and will take it wheeling when everything is on, so time will tell.

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
my first concern is the rubber boot instead the more sturdy U Bolt /Spreaders which I believe will get damage by just grasping a sharp branch or rock while off-roading...!
Do you meant the u-joint and the axle?

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
4WD Auto will feel more planted because your sending power to the front wheels. In FCA’s other MP applications it’s a 48/52 split.

Beyond the CV boots it’s an entirely different transfer case from the part-time unit.

Durability will be a big question mark. I think they’ll hold up fine on road. But off-road is where I question how much abuse the clutch packs will take long term

Transfer cases with clutch packs don’t have a great track record

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
What type of offroading is the concern? If you're going to go play in rock gardens all the time (or in general where there's lots of debris/chances to bind) and don't absolutely need the full time 4WD, I'd pass on it. Otherwise, if you're mostly just playing on forest roads with the occasional rock crawl and live near a snow area (i.e., not FL), it might be worth it. I also think those who opt for that option may find it more challenging to sell the vehicle until reliability of this is proven.

Sponsored

OP
OP
euroamerica

euroamerica

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
What type of offroading is the concern? If you're going to go play in rock gardens all the time (or in general where there's lots of debris/chances to bind) and don't absolutely need the full time 4WD, I'd pass on it. Otherwise, if you're mostly just playing on forest roads with the occasional rock crawl and live near a snow area (i.e., not FL), it might be worth it. I also think those who opt for that option may find it more challenging to sell the vehicle until reliability of this is proven.
I’ll probably do a 60% road and a 40% overlanding off-road on places with some sharp branches, rocks, mud etc....!

OP
OP
euroamerica

euroamerica

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
4WD Auto will feel more planted because your sending power to the front wheels. In FCA’s other MP applications it’s a 48/52 split.

Beyond the CV boots it’s an entirely different transfer case from the part-time unit.

Durability will be a big question mark. I think they’ll hold up fine on road. But off-road is where I question how much abuse the clutch packs will take long term

Transfer cases with clutch packs don’t have a great track record
Exactly..!

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I would like to see a dif photo as well.

I would guess this system is similar to what is in Audis, one wheel slips and energy goes elsewhere AWD

brennaman

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 WK 2014 JK, 2021 JLR snazzberry
Occupation
damn near retired
Hi, I am getting ready to order a rubi, and trying to figure out all the options that I want. Obviously the engine and transmission are the most important part. I came across this thread while doing a google search, and had a few questions. There were some terms I did not understantd while reading this.

1st what is FCA in the opening question?
2nd "In FCA’s other MP applications it’s a 48/52 split" What is MP

So when you order the 4:1 Rock-trac, you no longer get the NV241 transfer case, is this correct.

I tried asking the Jeep dealer, and the lady I was talking to knew nothing about what transfer case came with what option, and even how the Rock-trac worked.

Thanks, I just ran across this forum while doing some research, so this is my first post. Appreciate any info you can give me, Phil

Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Hi, I am getting ready to order a rubi, and trying to figure out all the options that I want. Obviously the engine and transmission are the most important part. I came across this thread while doing a google search, and had a few questions. There were some terms I did not understantd while reading this.

1st what is FCA in the opening question?
2nd "In FCA’s other MP applications it’s a 48/52 split" What is MP

So when you order the 4:1 Rock-trac, you no longer get the NV241 transfer case, is this correct.

I tried asking the Jeep dealer, and the lady I was talking to knew nothing about what transfer case came with what option, and even how the Rock-trac worked.

Thanks, I just ran across this forum while doing some research, so this is my first post. Appreciate any info you can give me, Phil
Maybe I’m misreading you so I’m sorry if this is not what you’re asking. FCA is Jeep’s parent company, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.

I believe MP is the prefix of the transfer case. MP3010, for example. I don’t know what this one is supposed to be. I’m considering this option as well. I have it on my current Sahara and like the option.

[edit] looks like MP3022 is the model of the transfer case for this rock trac.

https://store.mopar.com/oem-parts/mopar-mp3022-transfer-case-68395037ac

This article talks about it in some detail. Might be helpful for some.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/maint...details-that-make-jeeps-wrangler-rubicon-392/

Last edited:

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
I looked for a Rubi specifically with the FT4WD because I (1) live in an area with a lot of rain, and some snow and ice, and (2) do mostly rock crawling without many rocks/sticks. One thing that doesn't get mentioned much is that your turning radius is tighter with a CV joint. I can turn tighter than all of my Jeep buddies with 2-door models that don't have them, from TJ's all the way through JL's.

brennaman

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
damn near retired
Interesting article, thanks Iron man. I think you answered all my questions. From what I have read, the NV421 transfer case is pretty well respected. I tend to keep vehicles a while. I had a TJ for 12 years, and now my DD is my wifes '09 GC. (which I love and will keep it) My Son has a JK, and it just never tripped my trigger like my TJ did. But now the new JL for some reason just has been calling my name. This will probably be the last new vehicle I buy, so I want it exactly how I want it, and as reliable as a Jeep can be. So that full time 4WD had me curious, but I think I will pass. Thanks for your help.

Alevi

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon Xtreme Recon
I am in the same boat.... I don't like the thought of those CV boots.. I just order my 2022 today and opted not to get it, but I still have it in the back of my mind and can change the build. Ive read multiple forums now and am still 50/50, So what did you decide to do? and why did you choose what you choose.

brennaman

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
damn near retired
I ended up not getting the full time 4WD. I know the full time 4wd has a solid reputation with jeeps driven primarily on the road. I think it's off road reputation has yet to be written, so I went with the good old fashioned Part time 4WD. I have never had a problem with my TJ, my son has had zero issues with his JK, so I just stuck with what I am familiar with. I enjoy doing my own maint., so there is no learning curve with what I went with.

I got the 3.6L V6 24V VVT engine (that engine has been around quite a while, my son's jeep has it, and I think it has the track record for reliability). ( I know they had issues in the past, but I think all the bugs are out of it now)

6 sp manual transmission, (simpler design, no transmission cooling lines, I like a manual transmission, and once again, I think very reliable). This is not my daily driver, so I am not worried about daily rush hour traffic, doing a 1 leg workout every day.

No regrets on any option I got, or did not get. It is just how I like it.
Sponsored