batterup5000

batterup5000

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 rubicon
29,000 miles on my 6MT, and I only get a grind going into 3rd when I'm in 4Lo, and don't give it a nice slow shift, giving it more of a delay than any other 4Lo gear changes. No problems in 2 or 4 Hi. Following your experience here to see what Jeep ends up doing.
Just heard from the customer service rep. He states a bad synchro is the issue. He asked i give him another day or so to see how we are going to proceed.
Sponsored

OP
OP
batterup5000

batterup5000

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 rubicon
My Jeep is still in the shop. Thought i was getting it back today. Service mgr called me to inform me that the transmission that came in was incorrect and that they need to order another one. He said it will take 2 weeks because it back ordered. I think their pulling my leg now. My jeep has been there for weeks.

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My Jeep is still in the shop. Thought i was getting it back today. Service mgr called me to inform me that the transmission that came in was incorrect and that they need to order another one. He said it will take 2 weeks because it back ordered. I think their pulling my leg now. My jeep has been there for weeks.
Time to google NY lemon law

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
As my new JLU is starting to break in I have noticed getting into 3rd has gotten a bit touchier. I certainly don't feel that moving into any other gear. And I only have 2k for miles

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi batterup500,
I'm sorry to hear you haven't received the correct part for your Jeep yet. If you would like our additional assistance while your Jeep is in service, feel free to send us a PM with your VIN.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
Got the jeep back. All repaired with a new transmission. 3rd gear grind is now gone and shes running good.
Glad to hear that Iā€™m at 15,000 miles still going strong hope my 6MT wonā€™t have any problems for a long time:fingerscrossed:

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Did you just have a grind or was it hard to get into gear? Iā€™m having problems getting into 3rd. It feels like a lockout is engaged and I have to back off, then push into 3rd again. At first it was only under heavy throttle, but now it happens under any throttle condition.

OP
OP
batterup5000

batterup5000

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 rubicon
Did you just have a grind or was it hard to get into gear? Iā€™m having problems getting into 3rd. It feels like a lockout is engaged and I have to back off, then push into 3rd again. At first it was only under heavy throttle, but now it happens under any throttle condition.
It would grind and be hard to get it into gear. Make a loud grinding noise, I would pause then enter the gear.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Have you visited the dealer for this concern yet, Some Random Guy? If not, we suggest doing so at your earliest convenience. If you need any assistance from our team, please send a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Have you visited the dealer for this concern yet, Some Random Guy? If not, we suggest doing so at your earliest convenience. If you need any assistance from our team, please send a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Iā€™m going to try and get in next month. My second car canā€™t do cold because it has summer tires. My wife returns to work next month, so we can carpool while they look at it. Thanks for checking up.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Iā€™m going to try and get in next month. My second car canā€™t do cold because it has summer tires. My wife returns to work next month, so we can carpool while they look at it. Thanks for checking up.
No problem at all! If you need further assistance at that time, we're a private message away.

Kate
Jeep Cares

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It would grind and be hard to get it into gear. Make a loud grinding noise, I would pause then enter the gear.
Sounds like a bad syncro ring. The syncro rings typically have a taper on the bore that engages the gear which also has a matching taper area. This "spins up" the gear you're trying to shift to and makes it match the rpm and shift into the gear. These syncro rings are usually brass and have a lot of cuts in them for various reasons. But these little cuts/notches weaken them and they sometimes crack at one of the notches. If the ring splits, it no longer spins the next gear up to match the rpm and the transmission grinds like an old "crash box" (non-syncro) transmission.

What causes the syncro ring to crack is often hard shifting. It can be one really hard pull of the lever or numerous.

Munky

First Name
Kester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ariel Atom / Caterham 7 / ā€˜68 Porsche / Subaru WRX
Brand new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Altitude.

Picked it up on Thursday (36 hrs ago) after around 120day wait and noticed itā€™s really notchy getting it into 3rd. I have 50 miles on it but need to drive a few hundred today. It doesnā€™t seem to want to be rushed going 2nd to 3rd.

Iā€™ve driven manual sports cars all my life - Iā€™ve had 5 Subaru STis, Mitzi Evo MR, multiple Lotus Elise, Mazda Miatas, 5 Toyota MR2s of varying vintages and I currently have an Ariel Atom and Caterham 7. I have owned more manuals than anyone would be bothered to read but this is my first off-roader.

Is this normal for a Jeep to need a long pause to go from 2nd to 3rd? And here I mean a second or so for the trans to allow a smooth shift? Otherwise, I can feel it ā€˜catchā€™ and clunk on something.

It feels as bad as my old ā€˜86 911 when the plastic shift bearings and coupler were worn out. Is the need for a disconnect from gear, pause for a second plus and advance normal?
Sponsored