Sponsored

3rd Gear Grind manual Transmission

StuckinOH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Brand new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Altitude.

Picked it up on Thursday (36 hrs ago) after around 120day wait and noticed it’s really notchy getting it into 3rd. I have 50 miles on it but need to drive a few hundred today. It doesn’t seem to want to be rushed going 2nd to 3rd.

I’ve driven manual sports cars all my life - I’ve had 5 Subaru STis, Mitzi Evo MR, multiple Lotus Elise, Mazda Miatas, 5 Toyota MR2s of varying vintages and I currently have an Ariel Atom and Caterham 7. I have owned more manuals than anyone would be bothered to read but this is my first off-roader.

Is this normal for a Jeep to need a long pause to go from 2nd to 3rd? And here I mean a second or so for the trans to allow a smooth shift? Otherwise, I can feel it ‘catch’ and clunk on something.

It feels as bad as my old ‘86 911 when the plastic shift bearings and coupler were worn out. Is the need for a disconnect from gear, pause for a second plus and advance normal?
I have a 2021 Rubicon 6 speed that experienced something similar. After a couple hundred miles of mostly city driving, I noticed some interference when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. It varied between a mild physical interference to audible mechanical wear. The only way to prevent it was to hesitate in neutral before completing the shift into 3rd gear. I put up with it for about a year before taking it into the dealership.

After some back and forth between the service representative and an honest technician that argued in my favor he replaced 3rd gear and the synchro. Mind you this was their transmission expert that agreed with me after I begrudgingly was forced to repeat the "concern" as it was called by the service rep. The service rep commented that it couldn't be repeated under normal driving conditions. The technician just shook his head when I explained what I was being told.

I can't be happier with how it shifts now. Kudos to the service technician. It took 5 weeks from the initial appointment to the work being done. I would just expect some push back from service and hope for the technician I had doing the work.

Best of Luck
Sponsored

Munky

First Name
Kester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ariel Atom / Caterham 7 / ‘68 Porsche / Subaru WRX
Thank you and thanks for posting your experience.
I don’t know if it’s related, but on day 7 of ownership, the screen started showing this:
Jeep Wrangler JL 3rd Gear Grind manual Transmission 6E6386C5-C200-4545-99C1-8C2B87381A89

then it started juddering and I pulled over. When I decided I’d had enough of this in a 7 day old new car, I decided I would just drive it whatever to the dealer.
When I turned the engine back on, there was some weird red lightning bolt sign show up and then go away.
I drove back to the dealer and they had a quick look.
To be fair to them, they were really good about it and have given me a Toyota loaner…
Jeep Wrangler JL 3rd Gear Grind manual Transmission 6FD2EA9B-F070-464B-9247-8EC22781EED6

An automotive cockroach that is as dull to drive as it is beige!
Still, it hurt getting $40k plus giving away my Subaru WRX (which has only had one minor issue in the past 37k miles and left me with 165k miles) for something that only just made one week.
Jeep Wrangler JL 3rd Gear Grind manual Transmission 3A95B1C6-9BFE-4CCD-A1C6-05533062367D

I did ask if I could have my Subaru back as the loaner as at least I knew it - but they had already sold it. :(