3rd Gear Grind manual Transmission

batterup5000

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 rubicon
2019 2door Rubi. Manual Transmission. My 3rd gear is grinding. 8000 miles. Brought to dealer and they said they are waiting on STAR to give them guidance.

anyone else having gear grind?
Sponsored

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
2019 2door Rubi. Manual Transmission. My 3rd gear is grinding. 8000 miles. Brought to dealer and they said they are waiting on STAR to give them guidance.

Grind going in, or grind while driving?

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
6MT with 25k miles. Mine shifts smoothly. Best of luck.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Grinds when entering the gear.
Hi @batterup5000,

We're sorry to hear that you have this concern with your JL. If you are in need of additional support while in service, please send our team a private message.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

rugger1869

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Ever find anything out. Mine started doing it in 3/4 gear too

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I'm at 10K. No issues with my 6MT. But that isn't normal wear and tear. It probably is something simple...like you just need to increase the tension or otherwise adjust the clutch. Good luck and let us know!

OP
OP
batterup5000

batterup5000

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 rubicon
The dealer called me today. Star wanted them to tear down the transmission to see what the issue was and the dealer wasn't equipped to do this sort of work, so they're recommending me to go to another dealer to have this fixed.

I believe the dealer wanted to just change the whole transmission and Star is telling the to take it apart to repair the part causing the issue.

I contacted the other dealer and there telling me they need to hold the jeep for 2 weeks!

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
When I had the trans rebuilt in my JK it was a week before I got it back. This shop is probably pretty busy and doesn't want to over promise an early delivery back to you

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
The dealer called me today. Star wanted them to tear down the transmission to see what the issue was and the dealer wasn't equipped to do this sort of work, so they're recommending me to go to another dealer to have this fixed.

I believe the dealer wanted to just change the whole transmission and Star is telling the to take it apart to repair the part causing the issue.

I contacted the other dealer and there telling me they need to hold the jeep for 2 weeks!
I had an issue with a transmission not going it to first, service department said it wasn’t an issue and the service manager kept letting the the clutch out while putting pressure on the gear telling me it wouldn’t grind until he ground it twice in a row, still said it wasn’t an issue.
Went to another dealership and finally got them to acknowledge an issue and when they opened up the transmission they found an issue with second gear and for some reason replaced the throw out bearing. 11 days later I had my car back with the same shifting issues.
Be prepared to fight for a new transmission if they can’t fix it.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
No problem with mine (6500) miles. It could be a bad synchronizer in the trans.

OP
OP
batterup5000

batterup5000

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 rubicon
No problem with mine (6500) miles. It could be a bad synchronizer in the trans.
Still waiting to hear back from the dealer. Dropped the Jeep off last Friday. Is a synchronizer something that can be fixed or would they need to change the whole transmission?

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Still waiting to hear back from the dealer. Dropped the Jeep off last Friday. Is a synchronizer something that can be fixed or would they need to change the whole transmission?
Synchros can be changed.

JP18

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
As JP18 said, yes the synchro’s can be changed. However it’s sometimes cheaper for them to just swap out the gear box. This day and age labor is expensive. Example: I’m a plumber, if your faucet is leaking and the screw to remove the handle is stripped. It would be cheaper for you to get a new faucet than have me drill out the spindle. Time’s money!

sjl136

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Willys 2dr, ‘90 YJ, '22 4Runner

29,000 miles on my 6MT, and I only get a grind going into 3rd when I'm in 4Lo, and don't give it a nice slow shift, giving it more of a delay than any other 4Lo gear changes. No problems in 2 or 4 Hi. Following your experience here to see what Jeep ends up doing.
Sponsored