Sponsored

3D Printed Windshield Wiper Arm Caps - Prototype

SuperSanta503

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I designed a windshield wiper arm cap and 3D printed a prototype of it. Here is a link to the 3d model you can download. Attached are a few pictures of the prototype installed on my JL. The prototype uses a yellow PLA plastic which is for testing only, I plan on using black ABS or PETG for the final product. The main benefit of using ABS would be the ability to do a vapor bath to make it nice and shiny like the OEM version. Instead of the JL impression in the cap I was toying with using the JL logo on the shift knob, or the one on the recycle air button, or the JL letters on the JL Wrangler forums logo which is also on the rear door. Also they are somewhat difficult to remove and I was thinking about adding some ribbing or knurling to help with grip. Please comment with suggestions or ideas to improve or customize the cap. Using pictures or hyperlink links to provide a visual reference of your idea or suggestion is appreciated.

IMG_0482.JPG

IMG_0483.JPG

IMG_0484.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
What printer did you use? Resolution?

Xingpao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sorry i do not have a suggestion, but if I were designing items like this, i think i would tackle fixing the absolute junk plastic tab that holds the electric wires when you remove a hard top. They all break and leave you with a hole in the plastic and hanging wiring.

In fact, just redo all the extremely cheap plastic into reasonably affordable, durable pieces and you would have many customers.

My jeep torx bits are already rusting as well.

So many things you could do...

ArmyJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Own a JLURubicon
Occupation
Retired US Army
I designed a windshield wiper arm cap and 3D printed a prototype of it. Here is a link to the 3d model you can download. Attached are a few pictures of the prototype installed on my JL. The prototype uses a yellow PLA plastic which is for testing only, I plan on using black ABS or PETG for the final product. The main benefit of using ABS would be the ability to do a vapor bath to make it nice and shiny like the OEM version. Instead of the JL impression in the cap I was toying with using the JL logo on the shift knob, or the one on the recycle air button, or the JL letters on the JL Wrangler forums logo which is also on the rear door. Also they are somewhat difficult to remove and I was thinking about adding some ribbing or knurling to help with grip. Please comment with suggestions or ideas to improve or customize the cap. Using pictures or hyperlink links to provide a visual reference of your idea or suggestion is appreciated.

IMG_0482.JPG

IMG_0483.JPG

IMG_0484.JPG
How much for a black set with the red Jeep?

Sponsored

OP
OP
SuperSanta503

SuperSanta503

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I’m still in the prototyping stage and recently made some changes so you could better grip the cap and added the Easter egg Jeep. Let me think on the selling part. It would need post processing to smooth out the lines and two colors adds some complexity, it’s doable though.

How much for a black set with the red Jeep?
B5A35528-F4C7-4166-B757-E6D564046551.jpeg

629A0D23-8BE4-4A19-8532-0D9453C04833.jpeg

Cutterwolf

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL, 1963 Ford Fairlane, 2012 Honda Civic EXL
Monoprice Maker Select v1, .2mm layer height, 100% infill

Also printed .1mm with 40% infill but it didn't look as good. If I use ABS and do an acetone vapor bath it should smooth right out.

I Have the same printer....good work sir!

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Those are pretty slick. Had no idea those printers were so affordable. How much is the software to design stuff?

Brett

Cutterwolf

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those are pretty slick. Had no idea those printers were so affordable. How much is the software to design stuff?

Brett
The printers come with software..and you can download or buy some files.....but to design your own depends on what you use....I use Inventor...and I believe you can get a trial version of it and you tube would help you a lot to learn.
There is also a free 3d design software..just cant think of it atm.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
The printers come with software..and you can download or buy some files.....but to design your own depends on what you use....I use Inventor...and I believe you can get a trial version of it and you tube would help you a lot to learn.
There is also a free 3d design software..just cant think of it atm.
Do you need to be pretty good on a computer to do this stuff? Fixing my TazerJL nearly exceeded my computer skills. I speak wrenches better than 1s and 0s

Brett

Sponsored

Cutterwolf

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you need to be pretty good on a computer to do this stuff? Fixing my TazerJL nearly exceeded my computer skills. I speak wrenches better than 1s and 0s

Brett

To print...naw....
To design... yes.....

i think the free 3d design software is called "tinkercad"

give it a try....

aphillips76

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door
Build Thread
Link
Are you willing to share the file with the one with the Jeep logo?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I just installed a set of Custom Wiper Caps on my JL, yesterday. I'm evaluating them, etc....
USA Made...

They look really good... ... so much better then those pictured in this thread... The one's I am evaluating will be available real soon..

These caps look very cool....very unique ..... so much nicer then the stock, dull black, plain wiper caps...

Their black finish (not dull) is very nice.. Fit is excellent.... they just push on. No double sided tape needed... Very secure. They have two little indents that you can take a plastic pry tool, etc., to and easily, thanks to the notch(s) pry them off...

Anyone that's interested, for their JL/JLU/JT, let me know... and I will give you the head's up when they are avail..

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Replicate the six star screw like the hood hinge?
In black of course.....
Sponsored