39s BFG KM3 uneven tread +/-6mm normal?

jenzeee

First Name
Jens
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I had the BFG KM3 39s for about 18 month. I was aware of the disadvantages of mud-terrain tires when it comes to noise and comport.
My tires got so bad that it even caused strong vibrations all over the Wrangler. Note that I regularly rotated the wheels.

However, then replacing the tires solved all problems.

In an inspection I noticed that the tread wear is very uneven, which eventually must have caused the problems.
The remaining tread ranges from 6-12mm in every section: inside, middle and outside.

This is an variance of 6mm. - Question: Is it normal?
Sponsored

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
man, i was just about to ask how you liked the ride on 39'. From pure esthetics, they look great on your Jeep with those Mopar beadlocks.....

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
Uneven tread wear can be caused by misalignment, improper tire balance, failure to rotate tires, improper air pressure, suspension component failure, or worn shocks. Have you had the alignment checked recently? Are your tires balanced properly? Etc.

Chrisdupe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Are you saying that you measured uneven wear within each tire or that the wear was uneven when comparing the tires? Either way i suppose it's possible. Improper alignment and tire pressure can cause all sorts of uneven wear issues.

Side note. I have been running 39" KM3's for about 7K miles now and i love them. They ride way better than the 37" Trail Grapplers they replaced and plenty of grip in the woods.

OP
OP
jenzeee

jenzeee

First Name
Jens
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Uneven tread wear can be caused by misalignment, improper tire balance, failure to rotate tires, improper air pressure, suspension component failure, or worn shocks. Have you had the alignment checked recently? Are your tires balanced properly? Etc.
Done EVERYTHING and regulary!

Sponsored

OP
OP
jenzeee

jenzeee

First Name
Jens
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Are you saying that you measured uneven wear within each tire or that the wear was uneven when comparing the tires? Either way i suppose it's possible. Improper alignment and tire pressure can cause all sorts of uneven wear issues.

Side note. I have been running 39" KM3's for about 7K miles now and i love them. They ride way better than the 37" Trail Grapplers they replaced and plenty of grip in the woods.
Had done an alignment during the time twice. Tire pressure was usually around 25psi on the road.

In the beginning they were good, but after 9-12 months they turned more and more bad.

OP
OP
jenzeee

jenzeee

First Name
Jens
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
man, i was just about to ask how you liked the ride on 39'. From pure esthetics, they look great on your Jeep with those Mopar beadlocks.....
I agree, they look pretty nice and big. I really loved the look. But driving comfort turned so bad that I scrificed the "look" and went back to the KO2, but in 39s now.

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, they look pretty nice and big. I really loved the look. But driving comfort turned so bad that I scrificed the "look" and went back to the KO2, but in 39s now.
Did you regear or still on 4:10?

OP
OP
jenzeee

jenzeee

First Name
Jens
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR