Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
I vote the Jeep, I had these cars and they suck in the High Desert weather and the sand rash will just make it worst. Had to sell the wifeys M3 because the road rash was so bad and the re-paint was too much.

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
I should have been more specific. Article said straight line traction. 0-60 and 1/4 in their testing regular tires were 1-2ths quicker. I will try and find it again…

Found it…

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35015645/ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-acceleration/

Yup, and I'm surprised the article didn't mention it, but I would add that the additional drag of the aero package hurts it as well. But it's well known on the forums that the base Gt500 is quicker in the 1/4 mile. I went with the track pack primarily because I prefer the additional grip on the twisties, but also in the hopes that the more limited numbers (about 25% of total GT500 production) would help minimize depreciation, since I knew from the start that I would sell it when the C8Z comes. :)

V8Venom

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Waste Management
Vehicle Showcase
So a 392 XR has a MSRP of 80k.

A GT 500 base has a MSRP of 74k.

Since we will have 3 other Jeeps Im leaning towards the Shelby for my second vehicle that we leave at our Florida house when we retire next year.

Tell me I’m wrong to choose 760 supercharged horsepower over the 392.....
Go with Both. I have a 2020 500 and it is by far the best car for the money. My 392 arrives next week, so I get the best of both worlds.

Sponsored

V8Venom

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Waste Management
Vehicle Showcase
I vote the Jeep, I had these cars and they suck in the High Desert weather and the sand rash will just make it worst. Had to sell the wifeys M3 because the road rash was so bad and the re-paint was too much.
The new 500 is unlike any other Shelby before it I promise you. Heat soak is very minimal and it pulls like a freight train, always. I've owned Mustangs for 16 years now and it's hard to even call this one a Mustang, as it is light years ahead of the previous 500 in terms of a complete car.

V8Venom

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Waste Management
Vehicle Showcase
I’d probably still take the 392. Shelby isn’t all that usable on the street IMO. I’d probably take a GT350 instead actually.
The 500 is very useable on the road lol If you're in SoCal hit me up and I will show you how wrong this statement is.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
The 500 is very useable on the road lol If you're in SoCal hit me up and I will show you how wrong this statement is.
I’m interested why you think it’s usable on the street. I mean it’s a subjective statement. Curious on your experience.

That level of power even with say R888’s all around with very wide rears still results in the power being frustrating to put down on the street. This was my experience with Mustangs and even BMW’s with lots of power that are RWD. It’s just not that fun — cars with less power were more fun to drive on the street because you can wind them out.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
I’d probably still take the 392. Shelby isn’t all that usable on the street IMO. I’d probably take a GT350 instead actually.
Yep, GT350R or a Nissan GT-R are my ultimate car goals. I’ve driven both on the track fairly extensively and they’re excellent.

V8Venom

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Waste Management
Vehicle Showcase
I’m interested why you think it’s usable on the street. I mean it’s a subjective statement. Curious on your experience.

That level of power even with say R888’s all around with very wide rears still results in the power being frustrating to put down on the street. This was my experience with Mustangs and even BMW’s with lots of power that are RWD. It’s just not that fun — cars with less power were more fun to drive on the street because you can wind them out.
my last car was a 2015 GT, with 740rwhp. With R888R’s you’re right, completely unusable. I’m running PS4’s and at 800rwhp first gear you need heated tires but 2nd gear is no problem. This of course is due to the proper engineering and much better suspension. I thought no way I get traction on PS4’s and I was dead wrong too. This car is an absolute beast. I’ve owned it a year and a half and I still smile like a kid every time I drive it.You honestly need to go for a ride in one to see what I’m talking about. If you’re on Instagram hit me up @V8Venom. I’ve got videos and maybe if you come to SoCal I can give you a ride that will surely change your mind.

Mike

Sponsored

V8Venom

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Waste Management
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the feedback. I hear you about the C8s. Totally respect them. I’m just more of a Shelby, Challenger Hellcat guy…

Actually read an article from a Ford Engineer that said GT500 has better traction with non track package tires…something to do with tread….
You’d be surprised how well this car hooks on PS4’s. I try to explain to people how awesome this car is, but it’s only when you get inside one do you truly understand. People who are commenting you can’t use the power on the street most likely have never been in one. I promise you this thing not only gets traction, but it shreds corners too.

bruin1md

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro
So a 392 XR has a MSRP of 80k.

A GT 500 base has a MSRP of 74k.

Since we will have 3 other Jeeps Im leaning towards the Shelby for my second vehicle that we leave at our Florida house when we retire next year.

Tell me I’m wrong to choose 760 supercharged horsepower over the 392.....

It's a no brainer-- the shelby.
I recently sold my 2019 Shelby GT350..........I miss that car almost every day

graytrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 2020 LR Discovery, 2015 RR Sport SC
It depends on your objective and circumstances. I debated a new Porsche 911 S/GT3, AMG GTS, or used Ferrari F430. Neither is practical with 2 kids and living in the northeast. I ended up with the 392 and couldn’t be happier. Sounds great, fun to drive, convertible, take it off-road on the weekends, can use it for trips with the family, can drive it year round, decent storage capacity, etc. Basically it’s practical and enough fun for most needs.

WOwen

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WB Hellcat, 2016 Wrangler, 2021 392 Wrangler
I went from this to this. 0 regrets. Love my 392.
Jeep Wrangler JL 392XR vs Shelby GT 500 Screenshot_20200724-015312_Gallery
Jeep Wrangler JL 392XR vs Shelby GT 500 20211029_112107
Sponsored