392XR and 3.5 lift with 38-39s

RLSTREET

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Is there any reason to pay for the XR package if your intentions are to put a long arm lift with 38-39s. Seems it may just be a waste of money at that point.
Sponsored

t.i.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler buying soon
Is there any reason to pay for the XR package if your intentions are to put a long arm lift with 38-39s. Seems it may just be a waste of money at that point.
Hmmm... if you want shorter gearing, 4.56 in this case.
XR wheels can be easily offloaded to recover some of the XR package cost.

OP
OP

RLSTREET

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I was thinking there would be more than enough power to not need regearing.

OP
OP

RLSTREET

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I suppose the gearing would be my only concern then? No other benefits in that case?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Gearing and the fact that the xr tires will likely sell for $3-400 more than the 33's on a non-XR even if you're keeping the wheels.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RLSTREET

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I wouldn’t be keeping the wheels either as I will be going a bit wider.
Originally I was ordering the XR but now that it’s not available, I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t something else I would be missing.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
I wouldn’t be keeping the wheels either as I will be going a bit wider.
Originally I was ordering the XR but now that it’s not available, I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t something else I would be missing.
You gonna wheel it or just keep it on the street?

OP
OP

RLSTREET

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Being I pretty close to the Rubicon trail. I will be building it for a crawling and overland vehicle.
I’m still even debating the diesel for range and for around the same cost of the 392 I can get the suspension and wheels for the same cost.
I’ve had fast cars. Having a Jeep that does 4 sec 0-60 is cool but I’m more interested in wheeling.
I really just want something with enough power to turn 40s at some point.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Being I pretty close to the Rubicon trail. I will be building it for a crawling and overland vehicle.
I’m still even debating the diesel for range and for around the same cost of the 392 I can get the suspension and wheels for the same cost.
I’ve had fast cars. Having a Jeep that does 4 sec 0-60 is cool but I’m more interested in wheeling.
If you’re wanting range the diesel is a great option. Love my diesel. The 392 isn’t the best if range is an issue. Personally, I don’t think either option will struggle with 40’s. You won’t require regearing with 40’s on the diesel either and there’s tunes out that put torque levels above the 392. Also diesel is close to the same cost as 87 here and I’m getting 22-25 mpg on 37’s with 4 1/2” lift.

392 is great too — entirely different driving dynamic. If I could only have one, I’d choose the diesel because of range and fuel cost. Though who knows on cost long term with diesel either so I could end up with large sums being spent replacing stuff later out of warranty, though don’t plan on keeping it past 100k. By then the turbo 6 should be out and proven.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
Only reason I was asking is I’d be cautious about throwing 40s on a 392 with the stock D44s but to each their own. XR gears will definitely help turning those tires. I’ve got 37s currently on my XR but that’s as big as I’m going until I put bigger axles under it.

Sponsored

BeechAV8R

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392, CJ7 6.6L, Fusion Trophy Truck
Only reason I was asking is I’d be cautious about throwing 40s on a 392 with the stock D44s but to each their own. XR gears will definitely help turning those tires. I’ve got 37s currently on my XR but that’s as big as I’m going until I put bigger axles under it.
I think your evaluation is spot on. I'm also running 37" tires on the stock 392 Rubicon axles with 4:56 gears and that's about the max. tire diameter I'm comfortable with. I also purchased (not installed yet) RCV single piece CV shafts for if/when the factory CV's breaks.

OP
OP

RLSTREET

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Yes I understand that. My intentions are 37s with a cool over long arm kit. However like everything else I will probably want to go bigger and stronger.

DoneDeal

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Im running 38s. Non XR. stock gears. 3" lift. Drives great and theres plenty of power. 38x13.50s on 17x9s

jeep2.jpg
Sponsored