First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Based on the original picture, I thought I saw fender flare extensions indicating it's an XR. @alksion If it's not, I can change it. Or whoever has been editing the title and my first post can do it. I started the thread, but I'm just a passenger now.

I would like to comment on some driving techniques. Newbies tend to shy away from the side of danger--a natural human reaction. For example, taking a line furthest from a big rock or ledge. Yet that's not always the best option. Compare the two pictures below. The XR (assuming because of the fender lips) is close to the rock and the flexy suspension is keeping it from tilting too much. The stock Gecko is taking a very different line climbing the rock edge but tilting/flexing much less. Some years ago, a lady in an XJ with kids got nervous crossing a narrow spot on a desert trail. She climbed the opposite wall, which led to the XJ flipping over and rolling down the hill (all airlifted but no one died). The key is for both the driver and spotter being on the same page. If not, get out and talk about it until you are. The driver always maintains responsibility, regardless of what the spotter says. It's his vehicle and he's the captain of his ship. Regarding spotters, my philosophy is the same as wingmen to flight leads: "Trust but verify."

A4344702-E569-42A4-903C-D07CF2C724EB.jpeg
IMG_20211124_121841780.jpg
Absolutely. Hindsight is 2020 and hopefully people can read through this and learn as they may try the same trail. Looking back, it’s blatantly obvious what I did wrong… if I would’ve taken it slower, been OK with maybe some fender damage, then there would have been no problems at all.

An expensive lesson learned, but still a lesson learned and for that I’m thankful.

NULL POINTER

First Name
Carmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, '19 VetteZ06 7spdVert,
Occupation
Old Fart
Absolutely. Hindsight is 2020 and hopefully people can read through this and learn as they may try the same trail. Looking back, it’s blatantly obvious what I did wrong… if I would’ve taken it slower, been OK with maybe some fender damage, then there would have been no problems at all.

An expensive lesson learned, but still a lesson learned and for that I’m thankful.
Love the attitude and willingness to help others with lessons learned. It sucks what happened, glad you are OK. I've been following your posts for a while and they are always informative. So I hope the days and weeks following give you whatever it is you desire in a replacement for your 392. Jack Bogle, the founder of Vanguard, always said "press on, regardless" Great advice and it seems you are following it.

landshark99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Well said. Yes in my situation it was the brakes needed. In other situations you’re probably right, some gas may be the better choice.

Im learning and I’m okay with the process. Now that I know what a roll feels like as you’ve mentioned I’m more cautious, but also more confident. Im ready to get back out tomorrow if I could :)

Im really thankful for everyone in this community and the support I’ve received. Thank you everyone 1000 times for reaching out to me and caring. In a world that seems dark and nasty, it’s a blessing to see such kindness.
I am so happy you are ok and very impressed with your take on the whole situation, I could only hope that I would be able to deal with this as well you seem to have done.

Sponsored

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
I’m in the buy it back camp…new hood, fenders, doors and a soft top. Get some of the other body damage fixed and rock on 😎

I also hear Jeep is doing a send off 392 20th Anniversary edition, might be worth holding off a few months to order if it is indeed totaled.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Josiah, as others have repeated...I have followed your posts for a while now and was horrified when I saw the license plate on the overturned jeep!!!!! I was then relieved when I read on to hear you were unscathed and as I kept reading learned what an incredible person of character you are to explain the situation that led up to the flip. Kudos to you brother! You are the salt of the earth! Not one of us is perfect but we live and learn everyday because of people like you who share their experiences good and bad they are what make us passionate about this lifestyle Jeep provides. Thank You For your Contributions and may you be back on the trails promptly!

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I’m in the buy it back camp…new hood, fenders, doors and a soft top. Get some of the other body damage fixed and rock on 😎

I also hear Jeep is doing a send off 392 20th Anniversary edition, might be worth holding off a few months to order if it is indeed totaled.
I may buy back anyways. But even then I might still go with the 392 20th anniversary edition because that would be pretty bad ass :)
Josiah, as others have repeated...I have followed your posts for a while now and was horrified when I saw the license plate on the overturned jeep!!!!! I was then relieved when I read on to hear you were unscathed and as I kept reading learned what an incredible person of character you are to explain the situation that led up to the flip. Kudos to you brother! You are the salt of the earth! Not one of us is perfect but we live and learn everyday because of people like you who share their experiences good and bad they are what make us passionate about this lifestyle Jeep provides. Thank You For your Contributions and may you be back on the trails promptly!
Salt of the earth. Good word. I have had my days of negativity, blaming others for my problems and being sour. It’s just not who I am anymore. Times like these true character shows and hopefully my character is standing to the challenge.

Trust me I’ll have a new build thread and it’ll be bigger and badder than ever ;)

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Wagoneer 3 series, 2022 Rubicon 392
@alksion
I know you said it pulled to the right “a bit” but damn…
In all seriousness that sucks that happened to you and your 392, glad you’re ok.

In Regards to buying back your 392 from the insurance company, just think long and hard and do as much research as you can on what it would take to fix it. Do a very thorough inspection of your 392 before you make the decision whether to buy back or not. You could have unseen damage such as bent body mounts or roll cage that may take more time and money to fix than you would like. Also You’ll probably be stuck with a salvage or rebuilt title.
I’ve been in a similar situation to the one your in. My JKUR was hit in an accident it looked in good shape until I noticed the frame was about 4” off center and I had no door gap on one side. I know it’s a whole different set of damage to your 392, structurally it’s probably pretty intact.

If it’s not to late I would tell the towing company to not Release your 392 to the insurance company until you’ve pulled off all your accessories and maybe swap out your newly powder coated wheels and tires with a cheap set off a sport. Do a good visual inspection of all of the parts that would be difficult to fix, try to set aside the emotional attachment and think rationally if that’s the best decision. I would argue with your insurance company to get market value for your 392. I’m not a pro on insurance but I don’t think you have to settle with the first offer they give you probably could even go to a lawyer if needed. Then maybe you can find another 392 with around the same mileage for that price or just hang on and order a 20th anniversary edition. You’ll be waiting around anyway for that thing to get fixed unless you just want it for a beater.
Best of luck on getting back in a 392 quick!

Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
@alksion
I know you said it pulled to the right “a bit” but damn…
In all seriousness that sucks that happened to you and your 392, glad you’re ok.

In Regards to buying back your 392 from the insurance company, just think long and hard and do as much research as you can on what it would take to fix it. Do a very thorough inspection of your 392 before you make the decision whether to buy back or not. You could have unseen damage such as bent body mounts or roll cage that may take more time and money to fix than you would like. Also You’ll probably be stuck with a salvage or rebuilt title.
I’ve been in a similar situation to the one your in. My JKUR was hit in an accident it looked in good shape until I noticed the frame was about 4” off center and I had no door gap on one side. I know it’s a whole different set of damage to your 392, structurally it’s probably pretty intact.

If it’s not to late I would tell the towing company to not Release your 392 to the insurance company until you’ve pulled off all your accessories and maybe swap out your newly powder coated wheels and tires with a cheap set off a sport. Do a good visual inspection of all of the parts that would be difficult to fix, try to set aside the emotional attachment and think rationally if that’s the best decision. I would argue with your insurance company to get market value for your 392. I’m not a pro on insurance but I don’t think you have to settle with the first offer they give you probably could even go to a lawyer if needed. Then maybe you can find another 392 with around the same mileage for that price or just hang on and order a 20th anniversary edition. You’ll be waiting around anyway for that thing to get fixed unless you just want it for a beater.
Best of luck on getting back in a 392 quick!
If the price is right, I would still consider buying the vehicle back with no intentions to fix. Lots of parts can be transferred to the next build, already put a lot of money in it. There’s also tons of parts that could be stripped and sold. May even make money back on top of the buy out and parts you decide to keep.

I’m not sure you could unbolt stuff from the Jeep sitting in the yard. Insurance may not be happy.

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
Dude, I was so shocked to see this thread. I followed your build and posts, so sad to see what happened to your beast. But here’s my unsolicited opinions:

1. Don’t buy it back! I want to see your build progress on another new Jeep, maybe the 20th anniversary!

2. I don’t know for sure, but you may have the abhorrent distinction of being the very first person to roll a 392. That would be very cool, in a way. Make t shirts.

eugeeezy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR

That’s a great attitude. Hopefully you’re back behind the wheel of a Jeep soon so we can hit those trails, safely of course!
Sponsored