Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I dont think anyone would laugh.

Always use a spotter when challenging yourself. I know a lot of people claim using a spotter doesnt count or whatever. But who cares honestly.

This sucks man. There you are. Challenging yourself and the Jeep. Wheeling hard for that experience, pushing to the next, level and this shit happens.

Hope your jeeps up and running again soon. And youll forget about it.
The difficulty is identifying a spotter that has your and your rig’s best interest at heart.

When wheeling in groups, I found three quarters of those standing around are there for the beer and the carnage; only a minority knows a thing about spotting, and do it properly.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
The difficulty is identifying a spotter that has your and your rig’s best interest at heart.

When wheeling in a group, I found three quarters of those standing around are there for the beer and the carnage; only a minority knows a thing about spotting, and do it properly.
I am always constantly checking all 4 corners of the jeep. Looking ahead and telling the driver to go very slow when spotting. I plan a line, if it doesnt go as thought, go back. Take all the time in the world. It is such a responsibility I would hate to see a jeep flop when I am spotting it. I cant believe some people "send it"

If you dont have a good spotter. Dont do it. I myself look at the line before going. Talk to the spotter. Come up with a plan together. Always. And I am always checking "if my front left tire on that rock? Etc..." There is NO shame using a spotter.

kubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
We are very thankful that @alksion is okay. I hope this story will prevent a similar incident, once it all gets out.

There is a lot that went wrong and a lot of lessons learned. There was no way for me to back out whoever said that, there was an obsticle about 100 yards behind me.

The reason for taking out that stake (very sketch), was to turn me around and clear the trail for Rhino's TJ. When that failed, we ended up using my Jeep for Kubicon Recovery Services!

I feel really bad for @alksion but know he will be back on the trail soon, lets not do Cleghorn next time! Damnit I hate that trail.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
Hate to see this one….I feel for you man, that’s awful. Material things can be fixed or replaced. Glad no one was seriously injured! That’s the important thing. Hope your Jeep is back up and running soon and that they don’t total it out…finding a replacement 392 will be a PITA. Best of luck man! Keep your head up 🤙

Sponsored

kubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Sorry to hear Josiah. Based on watching @kubicon going down after, didn’t look like it took much to flop it.
The spotters kept me out of the rock which was great but everyone was a bit on edge. I felt like everyone was taking video waiting for me to flop, but I never felt like I was in any danger.

I think at one point someone in the crowd yells 1 spotter, cause I was getting conflicting instructions.

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
Shitty day on the trail. I was curious though. Do they give you a deal on the recovery for letting them blast it on YouTube?

Storm Cloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lawyer
yeah, thought dude had a death wish at the 19:48 mark standing in direct line with that anchor spike …. Holy shit

A4DC2F7E-DA82-4D2A-8682-8B004DEDA220.jpeg
No kidding! I was watching that wondering if he thought the tire was his Captain America shield or something! I’m just glad Alksion is ok and will live to wheel another day.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Thanks guys this is my attitude as well. Things can be replaced, life cannot. I have an amazing wife, great friends and an awesome Jeep community. Hopefully it will get repaired and I’ll be back out on the trails soon enough.
Once it's repaired I bet you won't care much about a dinged up fender lol. Glad you're okay man, that looked nasty. You'll be back at it in no time!

Jwb211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
@alksion

Shit happens. Nobody got killed and worst case scenario is you get a new Jeep and maybe a little higher insurance premium. “Experts“ flop on occasions too. I don’t know what exactly led up to it but I have seen people get into a bad spot because of a spotter giving bad instructions. I know it sucks but if it’s something you enjoy doing then learn what you can from it and roll on.

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
The spotters kept me out of the rock which was great but everyone was a bit on edge. I felt like everyone was taking video waiting for me to flop, but I never felt like I was in any danger.

I think at one point someone in the crowd yells 1 spotter, cause I was getting conflicting instructions.
The lift definitely had some legs probably assisting you in that feeling. Pic posted above shows some nice droop 👍🏻

eugeeezy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
We are very thankful that @alksion is okay. I hope this story will prevent a similar incident, once it all gets out.

There is a lot that went wrong and a lot of lessons learned. There was no way for me to back out whoever said that, there was an obsticle about 100 yards behind me.

The reason for taking out that stake (very sketch), was to turn me around and clear the trail for Rhino's TJ. When that failed, we ended up using my Jeep for Kubicon Recovery Services!

I feel really bad for @alksion but know he will be back on the trail soon, lets not do Cleghorn next time! Damnit I hate that trail.

I was supposed to run that trail with you guys that morning but had something come up that day.. The chute is one of those spots where it’s usually a one-way, no backing out situation.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I dont think anyone would laugh.

Always use a spotter when challenging yourself. I know a lot of people claim using a spotter doesnt count or whatever. But who cares honestly.

This sucks man. There you are. Challenging yourself and the Jeep. Wheeling hard for that experience, pushing to the next, level and this shit happens.

Hope your jeeps up and running again soon. And youll forget about it.
There's no doubt going forward if there appears to be anything challenging I feel uncomfortable with, I will always use an experienced spotter.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
yeah, thought dude had a death wish at the 19:48 mark standing in direct line with that anchor spike …. Holy shit

A4DC2F7E-DA82-4D2A-8682-8B004DEDA220.jpeg
This gave me a good laugh. First laugh in a while haha. I was litterally standing behing the Jeep's tailgate. It looked so sketchy I did not want to be anywhere near it!

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
There were definitely some rookie mistakes made. The driver in front of me damaged his fender and I watched him do it, because of that, I decided to ride higher in order to avoid my fender being damaged… great choice right?

I panicked once I got too off camber, kept the tires turned toward the wall and touched the gas. In hindsight the mistakes were obvious, but so goes the saying of such things being 20/20 after the fact.
First off, glad to hear you are OK.

Thank you for posting an analysis of the rollover. It is very instructive for people like me who are also new to offroad and trying to understand how these things happen.
Sponsored