First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Dude, I was so shocked to see this thread. I followed your build and posts, so sad to see what happened to your beast. But here’s my unsolicited opinions:

1. Don’t buy it back! I want to see your build progress on another new Jeep, maybe the 20th anniversary!

2. I don’t know for sure, but you may have the abhorrent distinction of being the very first person to roll a 392. That would be very cool, in a way. Make t shirts.
I just wanna know what they would sell it to me for I’m not making any promises. I should know on Thursday.

I’m probably the first person to roll a 392. Infamous is a good word haha. The 20th anniversary Jeep 392, if it’s announced, we’ll be on my radar.
Sponsored

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Wagoneer 3 series, 2022 Rubicon 392
If the price is right, I would still consider buying the vehicle back with no intentions to fix. Lots of parts can be transferred to the next build, already put a lot of money in it. There’s also tons of parts that could be stripped and sold. May even make money back on top of the buy out and parts you decide to keep.

I’m not sure you could unbolt stuff from the Jeep sitting in the yard. Insurance may not be happy.
For sure there would be money to be made by parting it out or selling it as.
I think it would be a fun off-road beater/ practice jeep lol. But it can be difficult to make the right call with hopes of fixing it when there is a emotional attachment to it, it can be hard to let go of.
As far as the leftover accessories on his jeep those are nothing short of, or anything other than his personal belongings. If they wouldn’t let him gather his personal belongings in the Insurance lot I would pay for a tow truck to drop it off in my driveway strip it of personal belongings and then take it back.
In my case I had a little over $6000 worth of accessories and parts on my jk, and I had the intention of buying it back. My insurance company was only gonna cover about $1500 worth of accessories, so I opted to go to the lot and remove them. Of course you can’t leave it on blocks or without bumpers but if it didn’t come stock it doesn’t have to be on there.
And they shouldn't tell him he can’t have access to it. As far as they should be concerned that Jeep this is his until they write him a check for it.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Time to get one of those funny(subjective), stickers for your hood, if you buy it back. Something to commemorate the rollover.

RemisPaPa

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 F-350
Occupation
Retired Marine, DoD Civilian
As has been said, glad you’re okay, and your attitude is great.

I do have a question regarding the video. Not going to rehash the whole unsafe bit. To me it looks like the recovery crew drug the vehicle for quite a distance, and the steering looked locked to the right. Am I seeing both things correctly? I could be mistaken here but isn’t there a strap hidden under a panel for just a situation such as this? To unlock the transfer case/transmission? Not sure how to unlock the steering. It did seem at the end of the video that those issues had been resolved. Hoping that there was no additional damage from the drag down the hill.
Also it looked like a puff or two of smoke out of the exhaust after it was flipped upright. So was it started then? If so that makes dragging with the wheels and steering locked up even more perplexing.
Maybe I’m just seeing it wrong.

Sponsored

Naylia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
For those discussing insurance, I just checked in with my State Farm rep and the State Farm standard auto policy fully covers off-road misadventures, no extra rider required, as long as you are not participiating in a "contest" or "competition". With particular call outs for "jumping competitions" :LOL:

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
Sorry for your loss brother, happy that you are okay!
But, you purpose built your jeep. used it for that purpose, and stuff happens. Now, you are more cautious, better informed, more experienced than a lot of people and know what not to do. College isn't free, and you enjoyed the hell out of yourself and get to do it again. This story will live with you forever. Cheers!

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
To me it looks like the recovery crew drug the vehicle for quite a distance, and the steering looked locked to the right.
Relatively speaking they treated the jeep with kid gloves. In another of their recovery videos they drug a pickup down the chute on it's roof before up-righting it at the bottom. :facepalm:

Sponsored

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
As has been said, glad you’re okay, and your attitude is great.

I do have a question regarding the video. Not going to rehash the whole unsafe bit. To me it looks like the recovery crew drug the vehicle for quite a distance, and the steering looked locked to the right. Am I seeing both things correctly? I could be mistaken here but isn’t there a strap hidden under a panel for just a situation such as this? To unlock the transfer case/transmission? Not sure how to unlock the steering. It did seem at the end of the video that those issues had been resolved. Hoping that there was no additional damage from the drag down the hill.
Also it looked like a puff or two of smoke out of the exhaust after it was flipped upright. So was it started then? If so that makes dragging with the wheels and steering locked up even more perplexing.
Maybe I’m just seeing it wrong.
Yeah it was stuck in four low and we couldn’t engage neutral. I forgot how we eventually got it into neutral as my mind was floating elsewhere. It was started for a moment and then it shut off on its own.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Sorry for your loss brother, happy that you are okay!
But, you purpose built your jeep. used it for that purpose, and stuff happens. Now, you are more cautious, better informed, more experienced than a lot of people and know what not to do. College isn't free, and you enjoyed the hell out of yourself and get to do it again. This story will live with you forever. Cheers!
This!
He's going to have a better "I can top that" story than anyone else around the campfire.
Yeah the only guy to roll his prized 392 story around the campfire. Haha!

I’m already planning to use it in business meetings. Grateful for everyone here and the encouragement and smiles you all have brought me.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Anyone knows how much heavier the 392s front is from a standard JL? Id assume the biggest difference comes from the V8. How much heavier is it?

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

Agreed. I don't think this is a good advertisement for that "recovery" fellow. First and most importantly, there were numerous safety violations that could have gotten someone killed. Not exactly what you look for in a professional business. At the 22' point, you hear some guys mentioning some of these concerns (in Spanish) but no one does anything about it. Also, the recovery process was not smooth and well planned, and likely caused more damage.

The previous picture I posted with my Jeep in a narrow canyon was in Los Coyotes Indian Reservation. The recovery was coordinated by one of the local Indians with four wheeling experience, but not a 4x4 or recovery professional. He did a fantastic job of coordinating three winches, tow straps, and spotters to right the Jeep back up with minimal damage. I'd done a backwards somersault trying to climb a slick waterfall. After pulling the plugs and spitting out the oil, I drove it back to camp.
I am glad that I am not the only one who noticed that as well as how they just brute-forced every aspect of the recovery. No finesse in getting it back upright, no finesse in pulling it out. Just 'moar powar!!!' the entire time. Then when trying to guide kubicon down, no clear leadership, no attention to the rear corners...

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

I just wanna know what they would sell it to me for I’m not making any promises. I should know on Thursday.

I’m probably the first person to roll a 392. Infamous is a good word haha. The 20th anniversary Jeep 392, if it’s announced, we’ll be on my radar.
You're probably not, but I would bet you have the best attitude of anyone who has or will have rolled a 392. Good luck with the next build!
Sponsored