Sponsored

392 XR Handling

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited / 2023 Jeep 392 XR
We just rented a 4xe for an out of town trip and I noticed that the Jeep handled nicely when pressing it into a turn. I know that having a smaller lighter engine and the batteries being low and center probably helps with that and I’m hoping that the 392 XR we have on order won’t be too much worse. Was wondering if anyone here has had first hand experience in driving both the 4xe and 392 XR and wouldn’t mind sharing their thoughts on what to expect with the 392’s handling in turns. Thanx!
Sponsored

caraholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taycan Turbo, 392XR, 981S, F430
I’ll let you know whenever mine shows up should hopefully be this month.

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Gray 392, 2000 Supercharged WJ
My wife and I test drove the 4xe, and we own a 392 XR. I can say that the XR isn't a sports car, and isn't intended to be. At first, I had some issues with the handling, but that turned out to be a bad alignment from the factory. The tires need to "break in" too - when they're fresh and brand new, the sidewalls aren't quite at the optimal compliance level.

After about 500 miles, I noticed the 392 handled much better than when I took it off the lot. I live in a VERY windy canyon and I've pushed it probably harder than I should, and it surprises me with its ability to hang in there. It does take some getting used to, though. The body roll happens a bit later than you might expect, and that can lead to a panic understeer. I've learned to just go with it, let the seat bolsters hold me, and then gently turn into the next corner.

Hope that helps.

ReconMZ

First Name
Moshe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Recon JKU 2018, 2021 Rubicon JLU, 2023 392XR
Occupation
Photographer
I can tell you that I had a 2021 JLU Rubicon with the Mopar 2" lift kit, and with and without that lift, it handled well (for a jeep). The 2023 392XR I got three weeks ago handles turns and highway way better and is even more impressive at high speed.

Uncommon Sense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray '22 392XR
Can't speak on 4xe, but my 392 XR handles well for what it is... Handles way better than I think some people give Jeeps credit for. After 7,000 miles and a couple of 500-1500 road trips; mine tracks straight and has little to no steering wheel shake at high speeds. Everything feels solid and tight. On road trips, I can cruise at 75-80 fairly confidently on highway. There have been a few highway curves when taking them at 80 feels sketchy but any normal car would take without a care in the world.

With that said, it is definitely not a sports car. She is stupid fast in a straight line, but you definitely won't be coming in hot to any kind of turn. In fact, you won't be weaving in and out of traffic aggressively either. I've learned to just cruise and not be aggressive. Going in a straight line feels just as solid as my Grand Cherokee, it doesn't handle tigher highway turns and fast lane changes the same.

Sponsored

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
The 4XE has great acceleration when it's charged up, and a nice low center of gravity. However my 392 (with 35s so pretty close to XR) handles just as well to me. I drive it on Sunset Blvd everyday with a lot of twists, turns and bad spots, it honestly handles much better than any other Jeep I've driven.

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
We just rented a 4xe for an out of town trip and I noticed that the Jeep handled nicely when pressing it into a turn. I know that having a smaller lighter engine and the batteries being low and center probably helps with that and I’m hoping that the 392 XR we have on order won’t be too much worse. Was wondering if anyone here has had first hand experience in driving both the 4xe and 392 XR and wouldn’t mind sharing their thoughts on what to expect with the 392’s handling in turns. Thanx!
What trim was the 4xe? Rubicon 4XE and the 392 would both have ko2s so the ride and handling should be closer. The Sahara has Bridgestone Duelers, which are pretty highly rated heavy CUV and SUV tires for onroad handling.

OP
OP

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What trim was the 4xe? Rubicon 4XE and the 392 would both have ko2s so the ride and handling should be closer. The Sahara has Bridgestone Duelers, which are pretty highly rated heavy CUV and SUV tires for onroad handling.
It was Rubicon 4xe with the 33" ko2 tires. It definitely didn't track really tight at speeds over 70... had to constantly make very slight steering adjustments. However I really liked the planted feel when in somewhat of a high-speed turn. I think they did a good job with the CoG on the 4xe. The Jeep had about 15k miles on it.

OP
OP

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Based on what I'm reading in your replies, I believe I will not be disappointed. Now if it would just arrive already!!!!

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 2dr, 2015 Grand Cherokee, 2019 Cherokee TrailHawk
We currently have a Rubicon 4xE running 35" Yokohama Geolander X/MT tires. Only had the stock BFG's on for a few weeks. I agree with everyone else that it handles well for what it is. We pickup our 392 with the Xtreme Recon package in a little over a week so I will have a real world comparison between the two.

I'll post an update after we pick up the 392 to let you know my thoughts.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We currently have a Rubicon 4xE running 35" Yokohama Geolander X/MT tires. Only had the stock BFG's on for a few weeks. I agree with everyone else that it handles well for what it is. We pickup our 392 with the Xtreme Recon package in a little over a week so I will have a real world comparison between the two.

I'll post an update after we pick up the 392 to let you know my thoughts.
much appreciated! I bet it will be nice to have one of each😉

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 2dr, 2015 Grand Cherokee, 2019 Cherokee TrailHawk
I wanted to give and update now that we have the 392 XR finally home.
I was expecting both of them to ride fairly similar but there is definitely a noticeable difference. We don't have a lift on the 4xE but are running 35's. First off the XR sits exactly 2 inches higher as measured from ground to bottom of the front and back door windows. With that extra height I thought I might notice more body roll but I don't at all. I'm just guessing that is due to the Fox shocks on the XR. It seems to actually feel more planted in corners than the 4xE does. It's not like the 4xE is bad by any means but the XR seems just move from corner to corner with less body roll and isn't as affected as the 4xE with mid-corner bumps.
The 2nd thing that is really noticeable is steering feel. The XR has a heavier feel at the wheel which I am really preferring over the 4xE. The 4xE feels like a normal Jeep Wrangler whereas the XR almost feels like it has rack & pinion. Not quite there but it's way closer to the feel of our Grand Cherokee than the 4xE. There's no discernable play or sloppiness that you get with most Wranglers.

Bottom line to me, if you like the way the 4xE handled I think you're going to love the XR.

And besides any perceived handling deficiencies are more than made up by listening to that incredible exhaust note. Damn it is addictive. I have no idea why you'd ever drive it with the Performance Exhaust turned off.

Had to include an obligatory pic of them both...horrible picture but this was the first one I've had a chance to take.
Jeep Wrangler JL 392 XR Handling IMG_1058

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
I have no complaints with the handling of my XR either. It is one of the best, if not the best handling "stock" Jeep I have owned.

And the button that quiets down the exhaust is called the drive up window button. It is for when you are at a drive up window and the person taking your order can't hear what you are saying. That is the only time you use it.

caraholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taycan Turbo, 392XR, 981S, F430
Hopefully only one more week for me until my 392XR arrives and I can give another viewpoint.

OP
OP

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wanted to give and update now that we have the 392 XR finally home.
I was expecting both of them to ride fairly similar but there is definitely a noticeable difference. We don't have a lift on the 4xE but are running 35's. First off the XR sits exactly 2 inches higher as measured from ground to bottom of the front and back door windows. With that extra height I thought I might notice more body roll but I don't at all. I'm just guessing that is due to the Fox shocks on the XR. It seems to actually feel more planted in corners than the 4xE does. It's not like the 4xE is bad by any means but the XR seems just move from corner to corner with less body roll and isn't as affected as the 4xE with mid-corner bumps.
The 2nd thing that is really noticeable is steering feel. The XR has a heavier feel at the wheel which I am really preferring over the 4xE. The 4xE feels like a normal Jeep Wrangler whereas the XR almost feels like it has rack & pinion. Not quite there but it's way closer to the feel of our Grand Cherokee than the 4xE. There's no discernable play or sloppiness that you get with most Wranglers.

Bottom line to me, if you like the way the 4xE handled I think you're going to love the XR.

And besides any perceived handling deficiencies are more than made up by listening to that incredible exhaust note. Damn it is addictive. I have no idea why you'd ever drive it with the Performance Exhaust turned off.

Had to include an obligatory pic of them both...horrible picture but this was the first one I've had a chance to take.
IMG_1058.jpg
Wow, two sexy jeeps in the same garage!! You don’t know how encouraged I am by your report. I was very happy with how the 4xe handled in the turns. Your confirmation that the 392 handles even better has me looking forward to the 392 even more now!!!!
Sponsored