Sponsored

Did you expect the base price of the 2021 Wrangler 392 to be UNDER or OVER $70,000?

• Total voters
OP
OP
Alleycat392

Alleycat392

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Metal Mulisha Custom
Well I’ll be darned..... thanks for finding that and posting that up. I hope Road & Track is wrong. Shoot! That really is annoying. Almost as annoying as them putting the dial shifter in the new Power Wagon! Errgh! 😖
I’m sorry if that was not the news you wanted to hear. Here is the whole article for reference:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ro...ler-rubicon-392-acceleration-top-speed-specs/

You didn’t hear this from me, but rumor has it that it can possibly be modified to get 2wd capability back, which of course would void warranty. :bandit:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Wicked3.0

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Rubicon
I’m sorry if that was not the news you wanted to hear. Here is the whole article for reference:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ro...ler-rubicon-392-acceleration-top-speed-specs/

You didn’t hear this from me, but rumor has it that it can possibly be modified to get 2wd capability back, which of course would void warranty. :bandit:
My guess why Jeep would do AWD is those Danas supplied in the rear would be toast if all the power went to it. Looks like I’d need to look into putting it back in 2wd and get beefier axles. Thanks again for the information, even though it made me cry a little

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Exactly, they use full-time four-wheel-drive to save the axles. Toyota did the same thing when they put a V-8 in the 4Runner it was only available full-time four-wheel-drive because they didn’t want to upgrade the smallish 8 inch rear axle. Toyota FJ cruiser with a six speed manual only available in full-time four-wheel-drive for the same reason. The automatic version had a 2 Wheel Dr. setting.
To save the rear axle and money full-time four-wheel-drive is the answer.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I agree. I'm on some TRX facebook groups and there's plenty of posts of dealers offering them at MSRP too.
I agree too but there are people in parts fo the country willing to pay crazy prices. I had a new model 2019 fully loaded RAM Rebel (no eTorque bs). Put 4K miles on it and wanted to go back to a Jeep. For some reason in my area at a particular dealer who had ZERO fully loaded Rebels with old school Hemi engine no eTorque - that dealer offered me more on trade in than I paid for it new. He had clients on a waiting list for my exact vehicle. So someone is now driving my used truck for more than I paid for it. Didnt argue.

Sponsored

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
I agree too but there are people in parts fo the country willing to pay crazy prices. I had a new model 2019 fully loaded RAM Rebel (no eTorque bs). Put 4K miles on it and wanted to go back to a Jeep. For some reason in my area at a particular dealer who had ZERO fully loaded Rebels with old school Hemi engine no eTorque - that dealer offered me more on trade in than I paid for it new. He had clients on a waiting list for my exact vehicle. So someone is now driving my used truck for more than I paid for it. Didnt argue.

Yup, I've been watching this happen over and over the past year, with both the 2020 Corvette C8, and the Shelby Mustang GT500. And now we're seeing it with the TRX, and probably soon with the 392 Ruby's as well. It's especially bad on the coasts, where people are paying HUGE markups for hard to find cars that are available in other places across the country for drastically smaller markups, or in some cases no markups at all.

I'm guessing that they just aren't familiar, or comfortable with shipping a car. Most enclosed-trailer car transport services charge from 1.50 to 2.00 dollars per mile, which means you could have transported the car you just paid a 25k markup for locally, from 1,000 miles away for $1,500 to $2,000, and in most cases, received it in a few days. Kinda silly.

Heater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JKU Rubicon. 2006 LJ Rubicon. 1984 CJ-7.
I’ll stick to my 392 2017 Power Wagon purchased for about $30k less. BTW that was brand new delivered to my home.

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not necessarily coasts but perhaps west coast, my local dealer here in Virginia Beach is selling 5 392 Wranglers all at msrp. Those guys in California though, from what I have read, really get it bad, I would tell the dealer to kiss my ass before I buy anything over msrp!
Well, that's somewhat true, but from my experience it depends a bit on the car you're looking for.

I spent most of the last year watching the prices of the new C8's and new Shelby GT500's, while waiting for our previous house in NJ to finally sell. (Our house was kind of an outlier, and because of the outbreak, we had no idea how bad of a beating we might take on it, so we figured it was probably not a smart time to buy a weekend warrior.)

The markups on the few Shelby's in the area, especially those with the Track Package I was looking for, ranged from obnoxious to insane, and they were just as bad as the west coast dealerships, as well as the dealers I talked to in Florida and Texas.

The all new C8's were a different story though, at least at first.

When the order books first opened in fall 2019, most Chevy dealerships in and around NJ were allowing people to order them at MSRP, unlike those on the other coasts, despite the crazy high demand. But I suspect that is more because they are sandwiched between Kerbeck Corvette in Atlantic City in southern NJ, and MacMulkin Chevy in NH.

If you're not familiar, (since I don't know what kind of vehicles you are interested in), they are the number 1 and number 2 Corvette dealers by volume in the country, respectively. By a gigantic margin as well, compared to any others, including number's 3 & 4 on that list. And they both don't charge ADM's on any new corvette orders. And in normal times, (ie: no strikes, & no covid) they also tend to get their orders delivered much faster than other, smaller volume dealers. So for Corvettes, many dealers within that area don't charge ADM's on them either.

However, that all went out the window when first the UAW strike delayed the start of production for a few months, and then the Pandemic halted, & drastically reduced the total number of C8's GM was projecting they would be able to build for the 2020 year. At that point, the markups on the rare few C8's that any dealer received unsold went completely bonkers.

Interestingly though, to your point about about Virginia Beach, When we were shopping for the new Kia Telluride back when they first came out (also in late 2019,) they were selling like hotcakes, and all of the NJ/NY dealers we called wanted a 5k markup.. yes, on a KIA SUV. So, we had previously gotten an incredible deal on our Jaguar F-Pace from Browns in Virginia, that was significantly better than any local dealers would touch, and just had it shipped direct to our house in NJ. So we reached out to them again about the Telluride that we couldn't find anywhere close to home for less than the 5k ADM, and again they basically said "No prob, what day would you like yours delivered?"

Again, this is just based on my personal observations/experience, and I couldn't begin to tell you why pricing is like that in VA, but whatever that reason is, I'll take it. :like:

-Rob

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah I get it, I was just thinking of the Wrangler 392 and didn't look around at the Corvette or GT-500's, I'm sure they have a heavy markup due to limited availability.
Ahh gotcha. And sorry bout the lengthy post. I'm bad enough as it is when it comes to talking too much about stuff I find interesting, but I think being mostly stuck at home for the last 11 months is actually making me worse. :facepalm:

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
A hemi swap on a Jeep is what, $30K?? I think that’s about right. If so, then $73K is about right but now you get a factory warranty with it.

I’m still not interested but I think we all know Jeep is going to sell every single one of them.

SoCalLee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
I was picking up my jeep wrangler unlimited rubicon at my dealer on January 30th and my salesman left me alone in his office and I saw a sheet with pricing on wranglers.
All in stock wranglers at invoice
All ordered wranglers $1,000 below invoice
All 392 wranglers $10,000 over MSRP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I was picking up my jeep wrangler unlimited rubicon at my dealer on January 30th and my salesman left me alone in his office and I saw a sheet with pricing on wranglers.
All in stock wranglers at invoice
All ordered wranglers $1,000 below invoice
All 392 wranglers $10,000 over MSRP
Surprising from SoCal. I bet when they actually show up they slap a $20K ADM on the Jeep in the showroom. That is probably the lowest they will sell them for, not asking.

ValB

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 392
I have mine ordered, can't wait! I check once every two weeks still NO VIN !

ValB

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 392
The wait is killing me! I get on the JEEP chat every two weeks and nothing. VON 47511176
Sponsored