Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Spent a month in Moab this year. Saw thousands of Broncos in the town of Moab. Only a couple on the trails. Easy trails. None on any trails rated at 5 and higher. You know the same trails that you see Subaru Outlanders and Forestrer on.
We were just on the Rubicon 2 weeks ago and not a single new Bronco. Dozens and dozens of Jeeps from lightly modded rubicons to 40"+ tires and 1 tons. Buggies, built Toyotas, a handful of Samurais, a couple built early broncos, several XJ's, a few ZJ's and WJ's, and even a wagoneer which made me happy to see. Literally 100+ rigs and 0 Bronco presence to be seen.

Unheard

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Honestly, Ford should have put the 7.3L Godzilla in the Bronco Raptor. Had one in my F-250 and it was an absolute beast. Ford undertunes them so they don't pull more buyers away from the diesel.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Honestly, Ford should have put the 7.3L Godzilla in the Bronco Raptor. Had one in my F-250 and it was an absolute beast. Ford undertunes them so they don't pull more buyers away from the diesel.
The extra 100lb engine weight probably is not so good for jumping or whoops though? The 7.3 just isn't a go fast engine, right tool for the right job. Add a tune to the ecoboost if you want closer to 392 power and haul ass in the dirt like the thing was designed to do.

Unheard

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
The extra 100lb engine weight probably is not so good for jumping or whoops though? The 7.3 just isn't a go fast engine, right tool for the right job. Add a tune to the ecoboost if you want closer to 392 power and haul ass in the dirt like the thing was designed to do.
I’m seeing 740lbs for the 6.4L, the 7.3L is 540lbs.

Are my numbers for the 392 wrong?

Edit: misread, you were talking 3.0 vs 7.3 I assume

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I’m seeing 740lbs for the 6.4L, the 7.3L is 540lbs.

Are my numbers for the 392 wrong?

Edit: misread, you were talking 3.0 vs 7.3 I assume
When would Ford put a 392 in the Raptor? The 3.5 ecoboost is 100lbs lighter, making the Raptor much better at what it was designed for than if they had used the Godzilla motor. It doesn't need the low end torque of a big V8 and is much better served with the higher revving smaller motor for it's use.

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
All this talk of the Raptor vs the 392 is interesting. I own a TRX and a 392, and they are both very fun to drive. But the use they were designed for isn't close to the same. The TRX has 700 hp, 14" of highly tunable suspension travel, and truly impressive high-speed stability. I do use mine for high-speed desert fun. There is a "performance page" in the dash computer that stores data, including top speed. I reset mine when I leave the highway, and then check it when back on the pavement again. On a recent 150 mile off road run in the desert it recorded a top speed that had been 110 mph. That surprised me because I wasn't really trying to go fast. I was just driving at a pace that was a whole lot of fun, and I couldn't get the big grin off my face the whole time.

The 392 wouldn't do well at that speed. Suspension travel is way too limited, and high-speed stability is inadequate for that. I was a trail leader at the Moab Easter Jeep Safari for 13 years, and led Pritchet Canyon, Behind the Rocks, Moab Rim, and other trails. I don't really enjoy the absolute hardest trails anymore, but I do like to challenge my Jeep and my driving skills on technical terrain. The 392 is fantastic for that.

A long travel IFS works better at high speed, but a solid front axle vehicle with good articulation works better at lower speed, and on more technical terrain

Just as I wouldn't try 110 mph off road in my 392, I don't plan to go rock crawling in my TRX. Different vehicles, different purposes. Will a Raptor Bronco work as a go between vehicle to do both though? I think it would be closer to a Raptor pickup or a TRX (but with 1/2 the power of a TRX) than it would be to a Jeep. But it very well may bridge the gap somewhat.

Last edited:

OldMarine

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
No every Raptor owner I've ever known or seen has driven it to work as a daily driver or towed a boat. None have ever seen the desert. I'd offer more are bought for what I've witnessed, than desert driving.
There’s no real desert on the East Coast. I spent 18 years in SoCal and Arizona. Going to the desert is fun and awesome. If you think a Raptor or 392 are expensive, you’ve got to check out a sand rail! Sooo, much fun though.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
All this talk of the Raptor vs the 392 is interesting. I own a TRX and a 392, and they are both very fun to drive. But the use they were designed for isn't close to the same. The TRX has 700 hp, 14" of highly tunable suspension travel, and truly impressive high speed stability. I do use mine for high speed desert fun. There is a "performance page" in the dash computer that stores data, including top speed. I reset mine when I leave the highway, and then check it when back on the pavement again. For high speed driving you don't want to be watching the speedometer instead of the road. On my last desert run, I noted a top speed somewhere on dirt that had been 110 mph. Although I come from a desert racing background, that surprised me because I wasn't really trying to go fast. I was just driving at a pace that was a whole lot of fun, and I couldn't get the big grin off my face the whole time.

The 392 wouldn't do well at that speed. Supension travel is way too limited, and high speed stability is inadequate for that. I was a trail leader at the Moab Easter Jeep Safari for 13 years, and led Pritchet Canyon, Behind the Rocks, Moab Rim, and other trails. I don't really enjoy the absoulte hardest trails any more, but I do like to challenge my Jeep and my driving skills on technical terrain. The 392 is fantastic for that.

A long travel IFS works better at high speed, but a solid front axle vehicle with good articulation works better at lower speed, and on more techical terrain

Just as I wouldn't try 110 mph off road in my 392, I don't plan to go rock crawling in my TRX. Different vehicles, different purposes. Will a Raptor Bronco work as a go between vehicle to do both? I'm not convinced that it will. I think it would be closer to a Raptor pickup or a TRX, but with 1/2 the power of the TRX, and inferior suspension.
In my opinion the long travel of the Bronco Raptor not only makes it better at high speeds than the standard Bronco, it makes it better in the rocks too. The width may be an issue on some trails, but most buggies these days are every bit as wide if not wider. If you wanted to run high speeds in the desert primarily and still be able to run difficult rock trails in the same vehicle, it's probably the best thing on the market. The shorter wheelbase will hurt it at high speeds but make it vastly better on technical trails than the F150 version or TRX could ever hope to be. In the rocks the Wrangler still wins, but I'm willing to bet the Raptor closes that gap vs the standard Bronco.
Sponsored