First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JLWillys (2 door), YJ
Occupation
Missouri Army National Guard
Interested in everyone’s thoughts on this from any perspective.
Sponsored

CodyDog

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE /2021 F250 7.3L King Ranch FX4
Curious what angle your question is coming from. Two very different engines offering very different performance.

26 confirmed

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon eco diesel
I have a 2020 diesel Rubicon, really love the torque and the mileage. If the 392 got better gas mileage and had a 4 to 1 transfer case I would consider getting one also. The extra money doesn’t seem worth it for only 30 more foot pounds of torque. The horsepower would be better used in the Mojave.

Sponsored

Gurk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 21 JL Hemi Sold: JL, JK, TJ, XJ
Occupation
IT Infrastructure Security
Since I got in for under MSRP and the 392 makes me smile everytime I drive it, I’m glad I went for it.

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I do overlanding and longer trips and therefore the diesel is a clear winner for me. Diesel is great for this and the miles per tank makes diesels a winner for a jeep that is not daily driven and taken on trips.

if you daily drive, the 392 would be better. Gas engines handle the short runs/drives better than diesels. The exhaust button will release any inner child that exists in you. 392 is most likely going to be less maintenance down the road.

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Do you want horsepower or low end torque? What better suits your Jeep and the way you’re going to use it? It’s important to understand the difference.

Diesels have great torque but low RPMs, power to climb the rocks and push the brick-on-brick airframe into a headwind and up a mountain with great MPG. 0-60, about the same as the V6.

Do you want to drag/desert race or get range on trips and trails?

I’ve not driven the 392, but I’ve owned the V6 and now the diesel. In my opinion, the Diesel engine is ideal for Jeep. And the sound is just cool, Mach truck vs. race car.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I have a long enough commute (when I go into work) that I can get up to operating temp on a regular basis no problem.

I will be doing many long road trips with my diesel so the mileage will make a difference.

The low end torque of the diesel is good for the kinds of trails I run, which are mostly rocks.

But the clincher is simple. Put me in a high horsepower V8 Wrangler and I'd most likely kill myself in short order.

I'll stick with fast cars for my fast fun.

CpT Papa

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RUBICON 392
Another cost for the 392 that I am going to factor in on my budget is speeding tickets and traffic schools. Hope no more than 1 a year.

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
Modern emission controlled Diesel engine is nothing like the old mechanical injection pump diesel....keep that in mind.
Sponsored