Sponsored

392 Towing?

DellCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
Whilst I impatiently await my 392, I thought I'd try to feed my curiosity by asking if anyone who has taken delivery of their 392 has given towing a try? Despite the 3500lb tow limit, I would imagine the 392 makes towing up to (or even beyond 3500lbs) rather effortless... also curious about the impact to MPG's (with reasonable foot control). Towing my Airstream Basecamp with the 3.6 was just fine but put the MPG's around 10 (as expected).

Any experiences so far?
Sponsored

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 RS-SS Camaro, 2021 JLUR392
Same question.

I'm currently towing with a V8 ZJ and many of our trips involve long steep grades and/or open great plains roads with sometimes high headwinds. My coast-to-coast fuel economy pulling a 2500lb trailer with it was just under 14mpg.

Just watched my brother take his V6 with trailer to Montana and back, instead of with his V8 suburban. While the V6 gets better mileage in normal driving it did worse than the V8 did towing. That and the high RPM of the downshifted V6 for 2000 miles made for a much less relaxing trip. The higher day-to-day mileage of the V6 probably still outweighs the occasional towing trip however.

For my tow-centric usage, the 392 with the wide, flat torque curve, improved cooling, bigger brakes and heavier axles seems like a pretty nice solution to comfortably get a trailer to a destination and then going off to play. And perhaps even with a small fuel economy benefit?

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
I can tell you from experience a 5.7 Hemi in a Durango will haul a 7200# camper from PA to Yellowstone a back with plenty of power. MPG's suck of course. I'd image a 392 will feel like so much overkill with a 3500# trailer.

Pete

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Good question. @DellCook you might be the first to post your experience. I am getting a Turtleback Getaway fully loaded and it's being built right now. Should be done first week of September. With my luck, my 392 will be ready around the same time. Looking forward to hearing further reports about towing!

RivaDriver

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
For what it's worth, I recently towed a 6' x 12' enclosed Uhaul trailer with my 392. Total weight was probably under 3,000lbs. No problems experienced. One helpful item of note is that the back-up camera displays a center line which makes lining up the tow hitch to the trailer tongue easier. My Grand Cherokee's camera didn't have that feature.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DellCook

DellCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
For what it's worth, I recently towed a 6' x 12' enclosed Uhaul trailer with my 392. Total weight was probably under 3,000lbs. No problems experienced. One helpful item of note is that the back-up camera displays a center line which makes lining up the tow hitch to the trailer tongue easier. My Grand Cherokee's camera didn't have that feature.
Curious if mileage took a big hit or possibly that the V8 helped mitigate some?

RivaDriver

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Sorry, I wasn't paying attention to fuel mileage.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
The camera is great for lining up the hitch.

Those who haven't, make sure you get a hitch that sticks out just past the tire to be able to see it on the camera.

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Although very light, it towed our little popup with no issues. Worked effortlessly.

Sponsored

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Did you tow it with a different Jeep before you got the 392? Mileage impact? GREAT pic, BTW!

Yep. Had a 2020 JL with 2.0 in it. It actually did very well. The trailer weighs around 1800-1900 lbs. with "stuff" in it. Obviously the 392 pulls with much more authority. Mileage? Around 9-10 mpgs. This picture is around 12300'. Mileage on the 2.0 was about the same.

Sam

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Yep. Had a 2020 JL with 2.0 in it. It actually did very well. The trailer weighs around 1800-1900 lbs. with "stuff" in it. Obviously the 392 pulls with much more authority. Mileage? Around 9-10 mpgs. This picture is around 12300'. Mileage on the 2.0 was about the same.

Sam
That weight isn’t bad. The jury is still hung on the loaded weight of my Turtleback Getaway trailer once it arrives, but I’m thinking somewhere north of 2500lbs. How big is your water storage on your tent trailer?

Ryno77

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
Great topic! I too went from a JL to my 392. When I asked the dealership service department why the 392 didn't have a higher tow rating than the other JL lineup, he said it was all about breaking. He said the geometry of the JL is not equipped to handle the towing of equipment over 3500 lbs due to the ability to stop. Has anyone else heard of this? If so, I would imagine the installation of a break controller? I just want to haul a pontoon boat around 5,000 lbs. I can't imagine this 392 having an issue with that.
Sponsored