392 takeoff suspension on a regular rubicon

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
I got a good deal on a 392 rubicon suspension ,the entire suspension shocks, control arms, sway bar links, track bars. My concern is that my 2 liter turbo is about 430 pounds lighter than the 392 and I might get more than 1” over the regular rubicon. Has someone done this already and if so, did you add adjustable control arms and trackbars?
Sponsored

MyJlU

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Sport
Occupation
Sr Product Line Researcher
Vehicle Showcase
IIRC the front 392 springs are from the Diesel and the rears are from the 4XE, I'm thinking the ride is going to be a bit stiff.

OP
OP
Herson

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IIRC the front 392 springs are from the Diesel and the rears are from the 4XE, I'm thinking the ride is going to be a bit stiff.
Right, that’s what I thought. However, I asume all aftermarket suspensions stiffer than factory.

OP
OP
Herson

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Right, that’s what I thought. However, I asume all aftermarket suspensions stiffer than factory.
Also, I wonder why 4xe rear springs if most of the added weight of the 392 should be in the front. My assumption is that from the transmission and back it should weigh the same.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Herson

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, I wonder why 4xe rear springs if most of the added weight of the 392 should be in the front. My assumption is that from the transmission and back it should weigh the same.
Additionally, how the 392 is going to sit 1” higher than a regular rubicon with just diesel and 4xe springs. Where did you read this?

Upsidwn

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Considering Jeep doesn’t address it at the factory with any of the taller Jeep’s or the dealer installed lift kits, I’d say a safe bet is to plan on getting front LCAs and adjustable track bars

CO_Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 392 XR
Following this, would love to see how it turns out after your install. Keep us posted/updated as you proceed.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
The 392's suspension is 10% more (stiffer) in the front and 20% less in the rear. Given all of the (supposed) tuning that goes into getting Jeep suspension correct, I'd say that this is a unbalanced way to add an inch. I'd resell it rather than compromise your ride/handling. What about simple 1" spacers?

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure how well it will work on anything except an Eco-Diesel.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Herson

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Following this, would love to see how it turns out after your install. Keep us posted/updated as you proceed.
The 392's suspension is 10% more (stiffer) in the front and 20% less in the rear. Given all of the (supposed) tuning that goes into getting Jeep suspension correct, I'd say that this is a unbalanced way to add an inch. What about simple 1" spacers?
The real question here is if it is just stiffer or longer springs or both. I considered the 1 inch spacer but I rather have 1 inch more of travel too. I already lost 3/4" of travel with the bumper and winch combo. I would like to know where people are getting these numbers from. Diesel/4xe springs, 10% stiffer. All I have seen in writing is also ambiguous. Some say is the mopar 2" lift and others say is just 1" above a regular Rubicon.

OP
OP
Herson

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure how well it will work on anything except an Eco-Diesel.
Can you expand? If we are talking about stiffness, basically all aftermarket suspensions are stiffer to accommodate heavier bumpers and equipment.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Can you expand? If we are talking about stiffness, basically all aftermarket suspensions are stiffer to accommodate heavier bumpers and equipment.
Spring rate for the springs, shock tuning (compression, rebound, dampening etc.) and how it all works together.

While it will bolt in fine, it may not perform well on or offroad.

the Eco-Diesel and 392 "may" be close enough in weight etc. that you could swap out and still have good results.

CO_Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 392 XR
The real question here is if it is just stiffer or longer springs or both. I considered the 1 inch spacer but I rather have 1 inch more of travel too. I already lost 3/4" of travel with the bumper and winch combo. I would like to know where people are getting these numbers from. Diesel/4xe springs, 10% stiffer. All I have seen in writing is also ambiguous. Some say is the mopar 2" lift and others say is just 1" above a regular Rubicon.
I know it would be a pain and a lot of time/energy, but I say go for it. Best case it accomplishes what you are wanting, worse case you revert back to your original set up.

Separately I am VERY curious if Jeep will release the Xtreme Recon package as a standalone offering through the dealerships to install, primarily around the suspension portion. Not holding my breath for it though...

OP
OP
Herson

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know it would be a pain and a lot of time/energy, but I say go for it. Best case it accomplishes what you are wanting, worse case you revert back to your original set up.

Separately I am VERY curious if Jeep will release the Xtreme Recon package as a standalone offering through the dealerships to install, primarily around the suspension portion. Not holding my breath for it though...
$500 for all the suspension is a no brainer. I am picking it up later today.
Sponsored