Sponsored

392 squeaks after every start

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
Anyone know if the Grand Wagoneer's 6.4 also squeaks? It's one thing for a Wrangler or HD pickup to squeak but I would say totally unacceptable in something like the GW.
So far as my research has indicated, any hemi larger than the 5.7 squeaks with varying level of severity. Videos of the following exist

6.4 Ram
6.2 Ram TRX
Challenger Hellcat
Challenger Redeye
Challenger demon
6.4 Challenger
6.4 Durango
6.4 wrangler

There are nearly $100k TRX trucks that squeak non stop as in they continue not just cold start. Some so bad that they have to shift into neutral at red light so as to not be driven nuts by it.

There is a design flaw somewhere, fiat just doesn't want to put any effort into fixing it and says it's expected exhaust noise.

Short answer expect the jeep wagoneer to do this crap too and be told it's normal.
Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Squeak here but only for 5s until I pull out of the driveway. Not a huge issue.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I volunteer as tribute!

Anyone want to sell/give away their obviously defective 392 with appropriate loss, feel free to dump your POS on me. :captain:

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Squeak here but only for 5s until I pull out of the driveway. Not a huge issue.
Same here and plenty of car owners that have the same issue.

Sponsored

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
I've read about squeak being present on just about all other Mopar products with the 6.4L motor. However, I recently test drove a Grand Wagoneer. No squeak, so we know it can be done.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I've read about squeak being present on just about all other Mopar products with the 6.4L motor. However, I recently test drove a Grand Wagoneer. No squeak, so we know it can be done.
Maybe it has something to do with the serpentine belt and accessories. There are a quite a few of configurations. Just like an LS swap into a vehicle,things get mounted where they can fit and make the most sense.
I don`t know of 392`s that have a higher mounted alternator for water crossing.

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Maybe it has something to do with the serpentine belt and accessories. There are a quite a few of configurations. Just like an LS swap into a vehicle,things get mounted where they can fit and make the most sense.
I don`t know of 392`s that have a higher mounted alternator for water crossing.
Nope

It is not a belt or accessory.

Sam

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nope

It is not a belt or accessory.

Sam
What is causing the squeak? Are all 392`s prone to this issue?
I know on my Raptor there is a slight jingle noise for the first few seconds but that is due to the turbo waste gate linkage

WOO_A_392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Rubicon
have it on mine. kind of embarrassing having spent 80k on a vehicle that sounds worse than 20k civic on start up form a squeal perspective

Sponsored

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
I know on my Raptor there is a slight jingle noise for the first few seconds but that is due to the turbo waste gate linkage
Seems to be inherent in some of the Hemis. The TRX has it as do the Hellcats. Mine is definitely from underneath. The exhaust. Not a leak. It is a noise inside the system. Can really hear it right next to the transmission.

Cause??? Don't know. Not worried. It seems to come and go. I have 4000 miles and it runs awesome. If I had to guess I would say some sort of harmonic distortion is setting up in the exhaust.

Sam

easter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
unrelated related my chevy colorado sounds like this on like 60% of cold startups

parkertl

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392 XR, 21 S Plaid, 03 Terminator
Its been happening on my 392 XR since I bought it, goes away once its warmed up. Almost sounds like a squeaking pulley to me.

I may get them to check at the first oil change but for now ill just use the perf exhaust to cover up the noise.

Higgs Boson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
its the exhaust manifold design/cat location causing it. happens on my trx but actually haven't noticed it on my 392.

hardhat

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Rubicon 392 XR
Mine does it on cold start up. What I read on another forum and makes the most sense to me is that it is the exhaust. When cold, the pipes are a little loose due to metal contraction. As soon as the pipes warm up, they tighten up due to metal expansion and the squeak stops. Supposedly it is the metal on metal movement that makes the squeak. Not a leak sound. This seems in line with the type of sound and timing of the sound that my 392 makes. Just adds to the beastly nature of the beast. Mine goes away when warmed up.

There are lots of 6.4 owners from many different forums and vehicles with same problem. If it bothered me, I'd get under vehicle with mechanic stethoscope and hunt down the source and see if tightening some exhaust clamps might help.
Sponsored