392 squeaks after every start

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
The "tick" at start up is what I was referencing...and what I hear on mine.
Got ya. Yea, the two are completely different. The squeal is unmistakable. Just like belt.

Sam
Sponsored

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
IMO, its sublte, not audible from inside, and only lasts for a few minutes after cold start.
Agree 100%. It only bothers me when I remote start and hear it. Not that it is of any issue mechanically whatsoever.

OP
OP
cook03tj

cook03tj

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'42 GPW; '21 Rubicon 392 (Sold: '85 XJ; '03 TJ)

Sponsored

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
This has been discussed many times since the JL came out.

The squeak happens if you are applying too much pressure to the brakes when pressing hte start/stop button. Something about the pressure in the brake system.

Try just very light pressure, and no more squeaks.

OP
OP
cook03tj

cook03tj

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'42 GPW; '21 Rubicon 392 (Sold: '85 XJ; '03 TJ)
I'll take a video in the morning with a cold start and post it.
Here is a video of the sound, not the first start of the day but you can get the idea

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Here is a video of the sound, not the first start of the day but you can get the idea
Mine does this. Mine continues to do this while driving. Took this video today (this is from under the Jeep). Here I am cruising at 30 or 35 and then giving quarter throttle and letting off. I'm going to have this checked out but anyone else experience this?

Attachments

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
I had mine looked at by the dealer for the same start up squeal and was told they are all like that and I am finding out that it common on a lot of other forums
My Raptor has a slight rattle upon start up too, biggest fear was that the cam phasers were going bad, at 2600 miles on it. I am definitely not in that boat thankfully it is just the linkage on the turbo wastegates
Either way it can really make you wonder what is wrong, seeing the same here puts my mind at ease. the squeal only lasts for a few seconds

rjezonie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
We got our 392 in May and after every start is squeaks. the squeak goes away after a few seconds depending on the last time it was driven, it squeaks the longest on a cold start. I have taken it into the dealership twice and they are telling me now it is a known issue that is designed to happen. They say it has to do with the performance exhaust letting out pressure at the valve, they said its supposed to do that. I don't believe its supposed to make that noise. Does anyone else have this noise?
Mine does the same thing too. 2000 miles on it and it make a sound similar to crickets chirping. So annoying even my wife noticed it at idle. She turned off my Jeep when it became unbearable lol.
Going to take it in to the dealer. Wasn’t doing it when I first got it.

Sponsored

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Mine does the same thing too. 2000 miles on it and it make a sound similar to crickets chirping. So annoying even my wife noticed it at idle. She turned off my Jeep when it became unbearable lol.
Going to take it in to the dealer. Wasn’t doing it when I first got it.
Good luck.

Sam

Taanto

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
Ah man, if anybody figures out what is going on with this I would be excited to know. At drive throughs, with the sound bouncing off the wall, it is very annoying. People comment "should it be making that noise?" definitely doesn't inspire confidence.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Ah man, if anybody figures out what is going on with this I would be excited to know. At drive throughs, with the sound bouncing off the wall, it is very annoying. People comment "should it be making that noise?" definitely doesn't inspire confidence.
I agree with you that it should not be there and it`s an issue with other owners besides Jeeps that have had this problem. Still not right just to accept it and that is what I was told by my dealer, I do trust them and it`s their problem if all hell breaks loose, but a squealing $80k Jeep is embarrassing to say the least.

I was lucky enough that it was just the turbo waste gate linkage rattling for 20 seconds on my Raptor. I was really worried about it because the alternative to it not going away in a matter of seconds was that both cam phasers were self destructing and the entire engine being replaced or just the top end of the engine. Again this is on a high dollar truck $77k that had only 2800 miles on it. I just think they need to take their time instead of pushing them out the door as fast as they can.
All 3 that came in with my 392 Rubicon all squealed upon startup and how could they miss that at the factory? or is it a Jeep thing like the steering box that has a mind of it`s own??

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
Don't plan on ever getting a resolution, the 6.4 ram 2500s have been doing this for years and fiat swears up and down that its perfectly normal. I backed out of buying a power wagon for this reason alone. A brand new $60k truck or $80k wrangler shouldn't have other customers on the lot looking across the way to see what jalopy with a spun bearing is pulling in for trade in only to see you standing in front of a brand new vehicle you *were* planning on purchasing

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Anyone know if the Grand Wagoneer's 6.4 also squeaks? It's one thing for a Wrangler or HD pickup to squeak but I would say totally unacceptable in something like the GW.
Sponsored