Sponsored

392 sidelined for 3 months w/electrical issues: what would you do??

el_guapo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Dodge Viper, JLU 392
With barely 1,200 miles on it and after waiting 4 months from order to delivery, my 392 started blowing the F34 fuse that controls electronic stability control, power steering, and sway bar. Got it diagnosed at the dealership today, and the report is it has a bad cluster. The really bad news is it will take 3 months for a replacement part to arrive. So sucks for sure. I was planning a Moab trip this weekend for my first offroad miles, so kind of hard to process all this.

The question is what to do... seems like the options are:

1 - just wait, be patient, hope for the best, have faith that replacing whatever they replace will actually fix the issue
2 - get a 2022 392 on order if I have to wait another 3 months anyway, and sell the 2021 as soon as it's repaired...hopefully production issues are resolved and I'll have better luck with the newer model year
3 - get something else, the universe is telling me something, I shouldn't have to wait 7 months to be able to enjoy my rig

Other?
Sponsored

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
My friend I am so sorry. I know you were waiting patiently. This is terrible news indeed.

why not order a 2022 at give the allocation away if your 392 gets done quicker?

OP
OP
el_guapo

el_guapo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Dodge Viper, JLU 392
My friend I am so sorry. I know you were waiting patiently. This is terrible news indeed.

why not order a 2022 at give the allocation away if your 392 gets done quicker?
If anyone can empathize, it's you!

Good suggestion, pretty limited downside either way.

This makes me wonder if Jeep had to bring on secondary suppliers with the chip shortage, and it's just a bad time to buy a car.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK

This makes me wonder if Jeep had to bring on secondary suppliers with the chip shortage, and it's just a bad time to buy a car.
I'd absolutely order a '22. With how trade values are, assuming you buy one at one of the volume dealers that are giving $6-$7k off MSRP, you will make money, even factoring in tax.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner

Could be possible. Only issue I’m having is alignment. As mentioned find somewhere selling at invoice or slightly below and place an order :)

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
If you are without your vehicle for an extended period of time due to their inability to get parts do they add the time to your warranty or do you lose warranty time as well as the use of your vehicle? I would have a conversation with them about that.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
What truly bothers me about stories like this is that you paid top dollar for your jeep and now they tell you “busted, sorry, just sit over there for 3 months so we can get the new part.”

why does that bother me?

because FCA is building a vehicle TODAY that has the part you need. They are building a vehicle tomorrow too. FCA is telling you that they want YOU to wait so that they can sell a new vehicle to someone else.

personally, I would reach out to JeepCares now and see what can be done. There ARE parts available, they just don’t want to give one to you because you are no longer a source of profit for them. Crappy.

once JeepCares does their thing, if you are still having To wait months for the jeep you paid for, I would certainly escalate

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
I would order another and just wait as see where they are at on the repair. Even if you order you know delivery will be out 3-5 months any ways and then you can just get your deposit back if you want to keep what you have.

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Does AZ have a lemon law where it says if the vehicle is in the shop X number of days they have to buy it back? Maybe go that route with a new MY22?

You certainly have patience, to spend that much money and not be able to use it!

Sponsored

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
What truly bothers me about stories like this is that you paid top dollar for your jeep and now they tell you “busted, sorry, just sit over there for 3 months so we can get the new part.”

why does that bother me?

because FCA is building a vehicle TODAY that has the part you need. They are building a vehicle tomorrow too. FCA is telling you that they want YOU to wait so that they can sell a new vehicle to someone else.

personally, I would reach out to JeepCares now and see what can be done. There ARE parts available, they just don’t want to give one to you because you are no longer a source of profit for them. Crappy.

once JeepCares does their thing, if you are still having To wait months for the jeep you paid for, I would certainly escalate
100000% this. That part can be made available, unfortunately you'll probably have to get confrontational to get it done though.

Really sorry you're going through this. Mine was at the dealer for four days for the 6 speed software update and I was pining like a heartbroken teenager the whole time, 3 months is inconceivable.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does AZ have a lemon law where it says if the vehicle is in the shop X number of days they have to buy it back? Maybe go that route with a new MY22?

You certainly have patience, to spend that much money and not be able to use it!
Yep.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
100000% this. That part can be made available, unfortunately you'll probably have to get confrontational to get it done though.
There's at least one thread on here about something similar and FCA didn't do jack. Not sure what happened long term. It was for a 2.0 Turbo replacement. They were readily available to be purchased, but not readily available for warranty work. OP kinda disappeared but after 5 months of no action whatsoever decided to sue. Always more to stories like that one but it does happen.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I am so sorry. It seems to me that Jeep could but some effort into this issue and come up with a solution, such a new IPC from the supplier or off the assembly line or off of some product engineers desk.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Escalate this — politely — with the dealership and Jeep, if necessary. Document all conversations and remain respectful but FIRM.

IMO, they should buy this back from you if you’re really looking at a 3 month wait, then you can decide how to proceed, order a new one, etc. You probably qualify under Arizona’s lemon law due to the time the vehicle will be out of service.

Again, polite but very firm and direct. That’s the best approach.
Sponsored