Sponsored

392 includes mandatory Selec-Trac and CV joints. Is this a fatal flaw for anyone?

BCMgunner

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 on 37” KO2s
I’m not expecting to see accelerated front tire wear on the 392, even on 37’s. It has not been my experience on 3 previous AWD vehicles on All-terrain tires, all much heavier than the JL, some by more than 1000lbs.
AWD is the very reason Im getting a 21’ Rubicon. It’s a poor-weather safety feature I personally will not do without on a daily driver. No, I’m not a bad driver and I do know how to handle high horsepower, RWD vehicles; they’re just not my daily.
As always, I’m a sample of 1
Jeep Wrangler JL 392 includes mandatory Selec-Trac and CV joints.  Is this a fatal flaw for anyone? 407EDB12-C33B-41A1-9B18-97DC48FBF7CB
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not expecting to see accelerated front tire wear on the 392, even on 37’s. It has not been my experience on 3 previous AWD vehicles on All-terrain tires, all much heavier than the JL, some by more than 1000lbs.
AWD is the very reason Im getting a 21’ Rubicon. It’s a poor-weather safety feature I personally will not do without on a daily driver. No, I’m not a bad driver and I do know how to handle high horsepower, RWD vehicles; they’re just not my daily.
Jeep Wrangler JL 392 includes mandatory Selec-Trac and CV joints.  Is this a fatal flaw for anyone? 407EDB12-C33B-41A1-9B18-97DC48FBF7CB
The one guy that puts ATs on a G-Wagen... :surprised:

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Do you take the G Wagon off-road?? with those tires, it should be seeing some trails. There are many of those, in my area(Kingwood Tx), and they are strictly used by the "Soccer Moms". Those might see a few puddles trying to find a Starbucks.
Btw, the G-Wagons are the heavy duty German Tank versions of a Wrangler. I like them.

BCMgunner

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 on 37” KO2s
Do you take the G Wagon off-road?? with those tires, it should be seeing some trails. There are many of those, in my area(Kingwood Tx), and they are strictly used by the "Soccer Moms". Those might see a few puddles trying to find a Starbucks.
Btw, the G-Wagons are the heavy duty German Tank versions of a Wrangler. I like them.
Thanks! This one has a 1.5” lift on it as well. Haven’t had the chance to take this one off road but my previous one got some light off road time in East Texas and South Texas.

I’d like to trade the G in for the 392 but have been reading on this forum that many are having issues with gears grinding, and brakes activating while in 4lo on the new Rubis. It has me hesitant to make the switch. Anyone have some insight on this?

I love and appreciate all off-roaders. Been off-roading since I was a teenager in Cherokees, Wranglers, Tacomas, Hummers, ZR2s. Mostly mudding at first but lately more technical stuff like Hidden Falls in central TX and Moab.

Hope the Rubi 4lo issues have been sorted out and I can get the 392 to Moab!

Last edited:

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Thanks! This one has a 1.5” lift on it as well. Haven’t had the chance to take this one off road but my previous one got some light off road time in East Texas and South Texas.

I’d like to trade the G in for the 392 but have been reading on this forum that many are having issues with gears grinding, and brakes activating while in 4lo on the new Rubis. It has me hesitant to make the switch. Anyone have some insight on this?

I love and appreciate all off-roaders. Been off-roading since I was a teenager in Cherokees, Wranglers, Tacomas, Hummers, ZR2s. Mostly mudding at first but lately more technical stuff like Hidden Falls in central TX and Moab.

Hope the Rubi 4lo issues have been sorted out and I can get the 392 to Moab!
Just take into consideration that for every problem, there are thousands without a problem. The issues I have are minor.

Sponsored

911turboz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392 Rub, 13 JLU, 97 TJ, 76 CJ7, 74 CJ5, 06 LJ,+
Occupation
VP Land Rover Denver
Half? That’s a big projection.

Food for thought: when behind the wheel of the JL, how many times does the color of the fenders or hardtop cross your mind?

Worse case scenario if the buyer can’t live with body colored top and fenders, why not swap with someone else who wants the colored top and fenders? Or if there’s another JL in the home, swap with them.
I plan on tossing the fenders in the trash very quickly after delivery and the hard top will be off half the year anyway...

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
Half? That’s a big projection.

Food for thought: when behind the wheel of the JL, how many times does the color of the fenders or hardtop cross your mind?

Worse case scenario if the buyer can’t live with body colored top and fenders, why not swap with someone else who wants the colored top and fenders? Or if there’s another JL in the home, swap with them.
Who (talking about vehicle lovers) doesn't admire their vehicle when they walk up to it or walk away? I don't buy based on interior features, although that is a minor consideration. The exterior is the primary consideration for my purchase. Driving down the street, we are making a statement about our personal style. No one looks in the windows as you drive by to see the interior.

If Jeep continues to force these options on all customers (for me, body color top, body color fenders, leather, to name a few). I'll stay on the sideline.

I don't want to deal with trading tops and fenders with someone else. That's going to be a hassle and a money losing propostion. :( No offense to those that like those features. Happy that Jeep has set it up to your liking. But for others, we want to get it our way (Burger King?) After all, that's part of the Wrangler appeal, you can make it your own.

Jeep. please let me order my Wrangler the way I want it; black top, black fenders, no leather, etc. I would love to have a V8, but not when I have to buy options I don't want $$$ :). I hope, after the initial frenzy dies down, that we will be able to delete some of these "forced"options. I'm patient, and will wait. :) Otherwise I'll keep driving my 2014 JKUR V6. It's perfectlly acceptable and customized like no other (it's a Jeep thing) :). If Jeep wants to get my money agian, let me build it my way.

m5guy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 & 23 392, 23 JT, BMW M5, BMW X7, Denali 3500
No fatal flaws. Would prefer black top and fenders like many here. Wish it has 4:1 t/c. Wish 4.10's (or better yet 5.13's) were an option. Wish standard Rubicon red accents instead of bronze. 1st world problems - will be happy regardless.

Willy's Commando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Sport, 2009 Challenger R/T, 2019 Dodge Hellcat, 2019 JLU Rubicon
Just another reason why I ordered Black. Black Roof, Black fenders problem solved. Will have the entire Jeep wrap with XPEL wrap https://www.xpel.com/
And the gold bronze accents will look awesome with black just like bandit Trans Am’s

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Driving down the street, we are making a statement about our personal style.
Would you agree that Jeep is then making a statement about the personal style of who they think will be the buyer of this version of Wrangler?
No one looks in the windows as you drive by to see the interior.
They wouldn’t need to: the vehicle is for you not them.
I don't want to deal with trading tops and fenders with someone else. That's going to be a hassle and a money losing propostion. :( ... But for others, we want to get it our way (Burger King?) After all, that's part of the Wrangler appeal, you can make it your own.
Trading tops and fenders isn’t too difficult and if having black fenders and top is really something you want, lots of people on this forum would gladly swap with you. Forget cost for a moment because you are making it your own. Or you could buy new MOPAR parts you want thru aftermarket and then sell your takeoffs. Again, you’re making it your own and it’s not terribly difficult to do.
Jeep. please let me order my Wrangler the way I want it
LOL I’m sure the bean counters had a big say in how this 392 will be built and sold.

This is the way it is now and I doubt it’ll change for the next model year. If you can overlook the things you don’t like and can find a way to make the vehicle yours the way you like it, you may want to join the others and get in line. Instead of online. ;)

Sponsored

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
I'm not sure that the painted top and fenders is a good force, likely cutting out half the potential buyers.
I think Jeep would call that a feature.

I'm not so sure that they want to sell a lot of 392s. It provides a Halo vehicle that outguns the Bronco, and they can claim that they answered the enthusiasts by offering a v8.

But selling too many will make a big hit to their CAFE numbers.

Now look at how they're approaching the 4xe.

It too has a bunch of mandatory upgrades, but relative to a comparably equipped v6, it's not much of an up charge.

Add in potential tax credits, and opening it up to the Sahara and it's ~35% of buyers, they clearly want to encourage sales of the 4xe while still limiting it to higher margin trims.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ld-in-september-2018.16101/page-4#post-398678

This is very likely to offset 392 sales, as well as to get away from having to buy so many carbon offsets.

FloridaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Rubicon 392, ‘20 Gladiator
No FAD = fantastic Stronger front axle
Now that 392s are out in the wild, has anyone looked at their front axle? Is the weak spot where the FAD was located deleting like the ultimate Dana 44 front axle or did FCA pinch pennies and use the same axle housing?

porcusRex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
Fatal flaws for me are...

No 6.4L offered in a two door. That's BS! They could have easily enough substituted the 5.7L as an alternative for the 2 door folks.

Full-time four wheel drive is going to suck when you're running large expensive tires. Anyone who has owned a full-time four wheel drive will tell you, you're going to deal with accelerated tire wear, especially the front.

Finally, as others said, the painted fenders are a huge turn off. They're fine if you want a street princess. I hate mine.
whether or not it will have accelerated tire wear on the front is unknown. but i suspect, like most awd vehicles, if for some reason you need to replace a tire, you will need to replace them all, depending on wear patterns as mismatched tire size, due to wear and running a single new tire, can cause issues with an clutch based, awd vehicle. i have a subaru wrx and this is an issue with that vehicle. replace one? you need to replace them all.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0