Sponsored

392 includes mandatory Selec-Trac and CV joints. Is this a fatal flaw for anyone?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
No 2dr Sahara, no 2 dr HEMI. Seems silly on Jeep’s part if you ask me. But I’m sure there’s an internal cost associated with that option that made Jeep not want to offer either.
I wanted to be a 2-door Sahara buyer. Ended up with a Rubicon instead. So I guess they figured out how to extract more money out of me...
Sponsored

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JLUR
So, does the 392 have a 2H option that we know of, or no? I have an allocation if I want it, but the awd thing would be a deal breaker for me. Don't want leather either, but some wet okole would take care of that. I can deal with the other forced options.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
So, does the 392 have a 2H option that we know of, or no? I have an allocation if I want it, but the awd thing would be a deal breaker for me. Don't want leather either, but some wet okole would take care of that. I can deal with the other forced options.
Once again, there will not be a 2H option on the 392 transfer case lever. Do what you want with that info. This was even in the announcement video. The first option on the transfer case lever will be 4H Auto.

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)
Jeep Wrangler JL 392 includes mandatory Selec-Trac and CV joints.  Is this a fatal flaw for anyone? 1606273083391

I don't see a 2H on the Spec sheet listed above, but the dash picture shows 2H. Strange

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Half? That’s a big projection.

Food for thought: when behind the wheel of the JL, how many times does the color of the fenders or hardtop cross your mind?

Worse case scenario if the buyer can’t live with body colored top and fenders, why not swap with someone else who wants the colored top and fenders? Or if there’s another JL in the home, swap with them.
That seems like a giant hassle that I'm paying extra for. I can't stand the painted top and fenders, so it's definitely a no go item. I'd say about half the Wranglers I see have either black fenders or a black top.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yeah, I don't doubt that there will be no 2H on the vehicle. By limiting it to 4H auto it will put power to the front axle if the back starts spinning. This will keep the vehicle straight and prevent some bozo from wrecking, can you say LIABILITY! LOL
NEVER underestimate the power of Bozo-ness!

Willy's Commando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Sport, 2009 Challenger R/T, 2019 Dodge Hellcat, 2019 JLU Rubicon
Look at the bright side the benefit of the selec-Trac in 4wd auto the 392 should drive, trac, handle better on the pavement. I will miss the 4:1 transfer case but that HP/torque should make up for it when we are on the rocks. On sand dunes/sand locked 4wd high and aired down this Jeep is going to be a blast

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
1. SCENARIO A - Max out at 37" tires
I assume the Dana 44 will hold out fairly okay assuming I don't go crazy. In which case, I assume the below mods are all i need/want for non extreme rock crawling:
A. Winch​
B. Lift kit (leaning towards Metal Cloak)​
C. 37" tires​
D. Skid plates​
E. Adam's Part or Tom's front and rear drive shaft​
F. Reinforced tailgate for the larger tires​

Is the transfer case a weak area that needs to be replaced? Should anything else be replaced or reinforced?

I know some folks might suggest re-gearing when moving up to 37" even with the standard 3.6 Pentastar, but the good news/bad news the 392 has way more torque and horsepower. I had/have a stick so I assume the "new" 8 speed automatic paired with the 392 will feel 100 times better.
Lift is there. You can add control arms if wanted, or just slap the 37s under it. Driveshafts are likely different, as well as skid plates. Driveshaft necessity is unknown, Transfer case as weak link, also unknown.

A, C, D (when available) and F would put your rig far more capable than most.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I have an idea: since this 4WD system is in 2WD until the clutch actuates the front axle, we just need to figure out a way of tapping into the clutch system. So then combo this ability to control the front axle clutch with a line lock kit on the front wheels... Get the rear wheels spinning and up to a decent speed, then dump the T-case front axle clutch while releasing the line lock for some 4WD burnouts.:like:

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
I have an idea: since this 4WD system is in 2WD until the clutch actuates the front axle, we just need to figure out a way of tapping into the clutch system. So then combo this ability to control the front axle clutch with a line lock kit on the front wheels... Get the rear wheels spinning and up to a decent speed, then dump the T-case front axle clutch while releasing the line lock for some 4WD burnouts.:like:

ScholarlySlightBluefish-max-1mb.gif

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
I may or may not have removed the front driveshaft from my 98 5.9 back in the day JUST to do burnouts🤘🍻