Sponsored

392 includes mandatory Selec-Trac and CV joints. Is this a fatal flaw for anyone?

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Sahara 4xe, Mustang Mach-E, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I too am very happy with my Selec-Trac. The Jeep feels so much more sure footed.

But, for the record, Selec-Trac does offer a 2WD mode.

All the available modes are:

2H
4H Auto
4H Part-Time
N
4L Part-Time

Jeep Wrangler JL 392 includes mandatory Selec-Trac and CV joints.  Is this a fatal flaw for anyone? 1606175350143

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I too am very happy with my Selec-Trac. The Jeep feels so much more sure footed.

But, for the record, Selec-Trac does offer a 2WD mode.

All the available modes are:

2H
4H Auto
4H Part-Time
N
4L Part-Time

Jeep Wrangler JL 392 includes mandatory Selec-Trac and CV joints.  Is this a fatal flaw for anyone? 1606175350143
There are many different iterations of Selec-trac. While I'm not sure what they're calling the system in the hemi, it does not have 2WD.

aus-jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
It's interesting to hear that the new 392 Wrangler will only be available with the Selec-Trac transfer case without 2WD, and have CV joints. Personally, I've been very happy with my Selec-Trac system, but have heard from the purists that it's a fatal flaw. Thoughts?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/aut...tty-detail/ar-BB1bhJz0?ocid=spartan-dhp-feeds
I believe we're still waiting for Atlas to get the JL t-cases out to market!

If the CV joints aren't strong enough you can just replace them with RCV's 😎
They are arguably stronger than u-joints, and have other benefits like greater turning angles, and smoother operation when turned.

https://www.rcvperformance.com/ulti...set-for-jeep-wrangler-jl-jt-rubicon-1-pc.html
  • stronger than OEM Dana 60 u-joint axles
  • Axles outboards are gun-drilled with a grease fitting at the end for easy maintenance when needed. No need to remove any parts (but a center cap on the wheel)
  • JL Rubicon Dana 44 axles backed by a limited Lifetime Warranty against breakage up to a 43" tire.
It will be interesting to see if the warranty changes with the 392

At the end of the day it's really not a drama as both u-joints and CV's are good options and it comes down to personal preference.
I'm pretty confident you'll even be able to switch back to u-joints if you really want to

Last edited:

Sponsored

MoparMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator coming soon
THERE WILL BE A 2WD MODE AND THERE WILL BE A FRONT AXLE DISCONNECT.

Last edited:

Willy's Commando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Sport, 2009 Challenger R/T, 2019 Dodge Hellcat, 2019 JLU Rubicon
No FAD = fantastic Stronger front axle
HD CV joints instead of u joints = easier turning when locked
Heres one question no one has answered, what happens when you punch/floor it when you are lock in 4H? Do the axles unlock automatically at higher speeds ?

Willy's Commando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Sport, 2009 Challenger R/T, 2019 Dodge Hellcat, 2019 JLU Rubicon
According to this photo on the Jeep web sight it does indeed have a 2H mode, notice the paddle shifters in the photo.
On the transfer case shifter gauge RPM gauge you can see 2H? What’s up with ?

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
According to this photo on the Jeep web sight it does indeed have a 2H mode, notice the paddle shifters in the photo.
I have seen this as well. It is a promotional photograph using a cluster from a regular wrangler or something like that. The 392 is not going to have 2H on the transfer case lever. This is a fact and is not up for debate. The first option will be 4high auto then 4high part time then neutral then 4low.

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have seen this as well. It is a promotional photograph using a cluster from a regular wrangler or something like that. The 392 is not going to have 2H on the transfer case lever. This is a fact and is not up for debate. The first option will be 4high auto then 4high part time then neutral then 4low.
If it is indeed a photograph of a production 392, then my guess would be that the dash will let you know whenever you are in 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive (because of 4high auto) depending on which icon is lit up. But you will not be able to have the lever be in 2H because there is going to be no 2H on the tc lever.

OP
OP
CivilJeep

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
THERE WILL NOT BE A 2WD MODE AND THERE WILL BE A FRONT AXLE DISCONNECT.
Why would they use a FAD if there's no 2WD mode? I find this statement to be highly unlikely.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Why would they use a FAD if there's no 2WD mode? I find this statement to be highly unlikely.
It’s possible because when you are in 4Auto, the transfer case provides torque only to the rear axle until the rear wheels start to spin, only then is torque sent to the front axle.

Having said that, I would choose not to have the fad in the 392 if I was Jeep.

OP
OP
CivilJeep

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
It’s possible because when you are in 4Auto, the transfer case provides torque only to the rear axle until the rear wheels start to spin, only then is torque sent to the front axle.
I don't think disconnecting in two places (tc and axle) is realistic for a 4WD selection. Hagerty's says no FAD.

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
Yeah, I don't doubt that there will be no 2H on the vehicle. By limiting it to 4H auto it will put power to the front axle if the back starts spinning. This will keep the vehicle straight and prevent some bozo from wrecking, can you say LIABILITY! LOL
Can you imagine 470 lb-ft to the rear wheels in a Wrangler, more than a couple people would be crashing them on the way home from the dealership Dodge Viper style especially if it's wet out. Stability and traction control are definitely going to be heavily involved in putting the power down in these even with 4WD. I wish that they were offering it with the ability to engage 2WD, but I get why they aren't.
Sponsored