392 includes mandatory Selec-Trac and CV joints. Is this a fatal flaw for anyone?

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Driving down the street, we are making a statement about our personal style.
Would you agree that Jeep is then making a statement about the personal style of who they think will be the buyer of this version of Wrangler?
No one looks in the windows as you drive by to see the interior.
They wouldn’t need to: the vehicle is for you not them.
I don't want to deal with trading tops and fenders with someone else. That's going to be a hassle and a money losing propostion. :( ... But for others, we want to get it our way (Burger King?) After all, that's part of the Wrangler appeal, you can make it your own.
Trading tops and fenders isn’t too difficult and if having black fenders and top is really something you want, lots of people on this forum would gladly swap with you. Forget cost for a moment because you are making it your own. Or you could buy new MOPAR parts you want thru aftermarket and then sell your takeoffs. Again, you’re making it your own and it’s not terribly difficult to do.
Jeep. please let me order my Wrangler the way I want it
LOL I’m sure the bean counters had a big say in how this 392 will be built and sold.

This is the way it is now and I doubt it’ll change for the next model year. If you can overlook the things you don’t like and can find a way to make the vehicle yours the way you like it, you may want to join the others and get in line. Instead of online. ;)

Advertisement

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
I'm not sure that the painted top and fenders is a good force, likely cutting out half the potential buyers.
I think Jeep would call that a feature.

I'm not so sure that they want to sell a lot of 392s. It provides a Halo vehicle that outguns the Bronco, and they can claim that they answered the enthusiasts by offering a v8.

But selling too many will make a big hit to their CAFE numbers.

Now look at how they're approaching the 4xe.

It too has a bunch of mandatory upgrades, but relative to a comparably equipped v6, it's not much of an up charge.

Add in potential tax credits, and opening it up to the Sahara and it's ~35% of buyers, they clearly want to encourage sales of the 4xe while still limiting it to higher margin trims.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ld-in-september-2018.16101/page-4#post-398678

This is very likely to offset 392 sales, as well as to get away from having to buy so many carbon offsets.

porcusRex

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
Fatal flaws for me are...

No 6.4L offered in a two door. That's BS! They could have easily enough substituted the 5.7L as an alternative for the 2 door folks.

Full-time four wheel drive is going to suck when you're running large expensive tires. Anyone who has owned a full-time four wheel drive will tell you, you're going to deal with accelerated tire wear, especially the front.

Finally, as others said, the painted fenders are a huge turn off. They're fine if you want a street princess. I hate mine.
whether or not it will have accelerated tire wear on the front is unknown. but i suspect, like most awd vehicles, if for some reason you need to replace a tire, you will need to replace them all, depending on wear patterns as mismatched tire size, due to wear and running a single new tire, can cause issues with an clutch based, awd vehicle. i have a subaru wrx and this is an issue with that vehicle. replace one? you need to replace them all.

AnnDee4444

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep

Comac90

First Name
Teak
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 on order

AnnDee4444

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
i don’t think that’s correct. The 392 doesn’t have the FAD. It’s full time 4WD. That blue part in the pic is just a cover where the FAD system would be on other Wranglers - Jeep used the same housing as the Mojave’s with the FAD.
I think you're correct. Since I posted that I've heard others state exactly what you are saying.

Advertisement

Morris 4x4 Center

Advertisement