392 includes mandatory Selec-Trac and CV joints. Is this a fatal flaw for anyone?

Dusty

First Name
Russ
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR - Full Nacho GP!
Is the 4-door considered a "forced upgrade"? Because that's the main reason I wouldn't consider buying the 392 (well, and the unknown cost).
My main reason for not being serious about the 392 is $70,000. The 4-door is required as its longer wheelbase is more stable than the 2-door. A 470 HP JL 2-door would be way more than most people could handle.

Advertisement

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Saharicon "Mud Muffin" (Wife), 2018 JLUR "Fat Ninja" (Me)
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
My main reason for not being serious about the 392 is $70,000. The 4-door is required as its longer wheelbase is more stable than the 2-door. A 470 HP JL 2-door would be way more than most people could handle.
I think $70k will be a bargain based on some dealers saying a $20k premium will be had on these things.

word302

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The reason you don't see more painted fenders is it's a $600 option and guys think the black plastic is tougher (clue: can't rub out scratches on plastic).

The painted top is a $1,000 option (above the black HT) which only makes it to full-blown optioned out JLs.

I'm absolutely certain Jeep decided a 392 Hemi Jeep should be a full-blown optioned out JL. I'm guessing it will be the highest priced and least discounted JL, ever.
Uh no, the reason you don't see more painted fenders is because a large portion of us don't like the look. Same for the top. The back fenders bend and can be cheaply replaced when they get bad. You can only buff out light scratches.

ShafferNY

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willy's JK, 2019 Rubicon JL
Fatal flaws for me are...

No 6.4L offered in a two door. That's BS! They could have easily enough substituted the 5.7L as an alternative for the 2 door folks.

Full-time four wheel drive is going to suck when you're running large expensive tires. Anyone who has owned a full-time four wheel drive will tell you, you're going to deal with accelerated tire wear, especially the front.

Finally, as others said, the painted fenders are a huge turn off. They're fine if you want a street princess. I hate mine.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Saharicon "Mud Muffin" (Wife), 2018 JLUR "Fat Ninja" (Me)
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Fatal flaws for me are...

No 6.4L offered in a two door. That's BS! They could have easily enough substituted the 5.7L as an alternative for the 2 door folks.

Full-time four wheel drive is going to suck when you're running large expensive tires. Anyone who has owned a full-time four wheel drive will tell you, you're going to deal with accelerated tire wear, especially the front.

Finally, as others said, the painted fenders are a huge turn off. They're fine if you want a street princess. I hate mine.
Wow, I didn't realize there was so much hate for the painted fenders. I love mine and my rig is FAR from a street princess. I think the plain black plastic ones are chinsy looking, like a cheap aftermarket part. Yeah, mine have a fair amount of scratches but whatever, it's character :)

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Honda Accord Sport, 2003 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado, 2014 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, I didn't realize there was so much hate for the painted fenders. I love mine and my rig is FAR from a street princess. I think the plain black plastic ones are chinsy looking, like a cheap aftermarket part. Yeah, mine have a fair amount of scratches but whatever, it's character :)
Its funny that I have more scratches on my doors and main body than on my fender flares...

BCMgunner

First Name
Eli
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 on 37” KO2s
I’m not expecting to see accelerated front tire wear on the 392, even on 37’s. It has not been my experience on 3 previous AWD vehicles on All-terrain tires, all much heavier than the JL, some by more than 1000lbs.
AWD is the very reason Im getting a 21’ Rubicon. It’s a poor-weather safety feature I personally will not do without on a daily driver. No, I’m not a bad driver and I do know how to handle high horsepower, RWD vehicles; they’re just not my daily.
As always, I’m a sample of 1
407EDB12-C33B-41A1-9B18-97DC48FBF7CB.jpeg

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Honda Accord Sport, 2003 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado, 2014 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not expecting to see accelerated front tire wear on the 392, even on 37’s. It has not been my experience on 3 previous AWD vehicles on All-terrain tires, all much heavier than the JL, some by more than 1000lbs.
AWD is the very reason Im getting a 21’ Rubicon. It’s a poor-weather safety feature I personally will not do without on a daily driver. No, I’m not a bad driver and I do know how to handle high horsepower, RWD vehicles; they’re just not my daily.
The one guy that puts ATs on a G-Wagen... :surprised:

DaltonGang

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Do you take the G Wagon off-road?? with those tires, it should be seeing some trails. There are many of those, in my area(Kingwood Tx), and they are strictly used by the "Soccer Moms". Those might see a few puddles trying to find a Starbucks.
Btw, the G-Wagons are the heavy duty German Tank versions of a Wrangler. I like them.

BCMgunner

First Name
Eli
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 on 37” KO2s
Do you take the G Wagon off-road?? with those tires, it should be seeing some trails. There are many of those, in my area(Kingwood Tx), and they are strictly used by the "Soccer Moms". Those might see a few puddles trying to find a Starbucks.
Btw, the G-Wagons are the heavy duty German Tank versions of a Wrangler. I like them.
Thanks! This one has a 1.5” lift on it as well. Haven’t had the chance to take this one off road but my previous one got some light off road time in East Texas and South Texas.

I’d like to trade the G in for the 392 but have been reading on this forum that many are having issues with gears grinding, and brakes activating while in 4lo on the new Rubis. It has me hesitant to make the switch. Anyone have some insight on this?

I love and appreciate all off-roaders. Been off-roading since I was a teenager in Cherokees, Wranglers, Tacomas, Hummers, ZR2s. Mostly mudding at first but lately more technical stuff like Hidden Falls in central TX and Moab.

Hope the Rubi 4lo issues have been sorted out and I can get the 392 to Moab!

Last edited:

DaltonGang

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Thanks! This one has a 1.5” lift on it as well. Haven’t had the chance to take this one off road but my previous one got some light off road time in East Texas and South Texas.

I’d like to trade the G in for the 392 but have been reading on this forum that many are having issues with gears grinding, and brakes activating while in 4lo on the new Rubis. It has me hesitant to make the switch. Anyone have some insight on this?

I love and appreciate all off-roaders. Been off-roading since I was a teenager in Cherokees, Wranglers, Tacomas, Hummers, ZR2s. Mostly mudding at first but lately more technical stuff like Hidden Falls in central TX and Moab.

Hope the Rubi 4lo issues have been sorted out and I can get the 392 to Moab!
Just take into consideration that for every problem, there are thousands without a problem. The issues I have are minor.

911turboz

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Rubicon, 2013 JLU, 1997 TJ, 1976 CJ7, 1974 CJ5
Occupation
VP Land Rover Denver
Half? That’s a big projection.

Food for thought: when behind the wheel of the JL, how many times does the color of the fenders or hardtop cross your mind?

Worse case scenario if the buyer can’t live with body colored top and fenders, why not swap with someone else who wants the colored top and fenders? Or if there’s another JL in the home, swap with them.
I plan on tossing the fenders in the trash very quickly after delivery and the hard top will be off half the year anyway...

nowandthen

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
Half? That’s a big projection.

Food for thought: when behind the wheel of the JL, how many times does the color of the fenders or hardtop cross your mind?

Worse case scenario if the buyer can’t live with body colored top and fenders, why not swap with someone else who wants the colored top and fenders? Or if there’s another JL in the home, swap with them.
Who (talking about vehicle lovers) doesn't admire their vehicle when they walk up to it or walk away? I don't buy based on interior features, although that is a minor consideration. The exterior is the primary consideration for my purchase. Driving down the street, we are making a statement about our personal style. No one looks in the windows as you drive by to see the interior.

If Jeep continues to force these options on all customers (for me, body color top, body color fenders, leather, to name a few). I'll stay on the sideline.

I don't want to deal with trading tops and fenders with someone else. That's going to be a hassle and a money losing propostion. :( No offense to those that like those features. Happy that Jeep has set it up to your liking. But for others, we want to get it our way (Burger King?) After all, that's part of the Wrangler appeal, you can make it your own.

Jeep. please let me order my Wrangler the way I want it; black top, black fenders, no leather, etc. I would love to have a V8, but not when I have to buy options I don't want $$$ :). I hope, after the initial frenzy dies down, that we will be able to delete some of these "forced"options. I'm patient, and will wait. :) Otherwise I'll keep driving my 2014 JKUR V6. It's perfectlly acceptable and customized like no other (it's a Jeep thing) :). If Jeep wants to get my money agian, let me build it my way.

m5guy

First Name
Brian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 BMW M5, 2020 GMC Denali 3500HD, 2019 Unlimited Rubicon, 2018 Mastercraft X26, 2020 BMW X7 M50i
No fatal flaws. Would prefer black top and fenders like many here. Wish it has 4:1 t/c. Wish 4.10's (or better yet 5.13's) were an option. Wish standard Rubicon red accents instead of bronze. 1st world problems - will be happy regardless.

Willy's Commando

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Sport, 2009 Challenger R/T, 2019 Dodge Hellcat, 2019 JLU Rubicon
Just another reason why I ordered Black. Black Roof, Black fenders problem solved. Will have the entire Jeep wrap with XPEL wrap https://www.xpel.com/
And the gold bronze accents will look awesome with black just like bandit Trans Am’s

Advertisement

Morris 4x4 Center

Advertisement